12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2013 11:24 AM by jerrycoin RSS

The Louvre, a special day!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Finally figured out why I was not much of a "Museum person", I was going about it "ALL WRONG"!

With the influence of The Professor, Pluto and a host of others on the MI, I have changed my ways.  Yes, I should also cite Cedric, the Concierge, at the AdT Renaissance, who recommended and set up a "Private guide" for the Louvre.  Having been a number of times before, I was never too impressed till I took him up on this recommendation.  The personal guide met me in the hotel lobby and we spent the next 4 hours getting to, touring the Louvre, and getting back to the hotel.  I will never forget the day, and want to share some "Tips" for you should you have the opportunity to visit the Louvre.

First of all, try to buy your tickets early!  In my case, he thought I had a ticket, and I thought he had a ticket for me.  However, while the lines must have had a 1000 plus people in it,  we walked to a little known "Gift shop" in the Louvre, where there was NO ONE in line, bought a ticket for 10 euro and walked right into the museum.  Here is a picture of that small place, it's on the West side of the basement, by the small pyramid.

IMG_2349.JPG

While the amount of scenery is fantastic, let me share some highlights with you!

IMG_2344.JPG

This place is huge, some say 3 miles of building!  Prepare for some real walking and a number of stairs!

IMG_2351.JPG

Majestic courtyard!

IMG_2350.JPG

The oldest known painting ever found in France, A French King, really impressive!

IMG_2363.jpg

One of the three top sights in The Louvre, Winged Victory!

IMG_2380.jpg

Another of the wonderful sculptures!  Raw beauty!  Prepare for some serious crowds!

IMG_2364.JPG

Charles my guide, was a wonderful host!

IMG_2382.JPG

Lastly, everyones favorite, and the most crowded area is The Mona Lisa!(Sorry, The picture was censored?)

A great day was enjoyed at The Louvre, and a lesson was learned by listening to The Concierge!  Unforgettable!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: The Louvre, a special day!
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jerry,

Great tips.  Especially the one about the short ticket line in the gift shop!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

It seems like I remember a lot of signs posted as you near the Mona Lisa saying NO PICTURES.  My husband did not take a picture of the Mona Lisa, but he did take a picture of all the people taking pictures of the Mona Lisa.

razorbackfan,

No they do let you take pictures of The Mona Lisa.  It has a special glass on it that makes it tough to get a good picture.  There are a few things that the Louvre would not let you take pictures of, one was a new item that had not been "Checked in".  I do not know why MI did not allow me to show The Mona Lisa.  It is no big deal, as most of us have seen it countless times.

The Louvre did have signs posted for "No photography", but it was not enforced and most everyone was taking pictures.  Here are a few of my favorites as well!

IMG_2365.jpg

DaVinci's "John The Baptist", very pretty!

IMG_2385.jpg

Hammurabi's Code!  Most interesting.

IMG_2379.jpg

Spectacular Ceilings!

Most people will not be able to see everything if you had a week!  But pick a day, preferably a "Rainy one", to visit the Louvre.  Remember, you can take the Metro and literally stroll in from the Metro stop!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jerry:

The Louvre is a great and timeless museum! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the pictures.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Really wonderful pictures, Jerry.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post.  What a great idea, hiring a personal guide.  So glad you had an enjoyable time!

Let's see if Insiders will let me post my photo:

100_1106_0256.JPG

pluto,

Is this a self portrait?

You must have way more influence than I do!

I still can't post my picture.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I hired a private guide at the Vatican, and thank goodness I did.

I had only a couple of hours, and the line for tickets was down and round the block.

We went right past the line and immediately in.

The place is huge, but he knew where all the most important sights were, so again we bypassed alot of lines and crowds.  He had carefully selected the best things that many people were not even aware of.

He had his degree in Art History, but was also well versed in literature  and current movies, so was also able to not only explain the piece and the history but also all the references through time in literature and film.

It was an amazing visit!

I don't think I would have accomplished half of it, even if I spent the year before reading up on it, and mapping it out in my museum guides and catalogues.

A couple times it is lucky I did as I had a bad guide visiting antiquities, and was able to sit and read about it from my guide book and notes as I looked at it, but a great guide is well worth the price to take advantage of the time you have.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Last time my wife and I visited Paris we hired a driver to take us to Mont St. Michel.  Expensive, but definitely worthwhile.  The driver had taught history and told us about all the areas we were passing thru on the way (I think an 8-hour round trip), and also the history of Mont St. Michel.  Sure beat reading about it.

randomname,

Wow, what an experience!

Drove myself, but did not visit the island, as we could not bet across because of the tide.  This is a lovely place!  Thanks for sharing with us.  That is a full day!

Saw some two day trips that included Normandy and St. Michel, but that is pretty intense! 

GemPrincess,

Did not know about this, Thanks!

Have only been to the Vatican once, and this is a wonderful idea.  A personal guide really makes a difference.

Again, thanks!

professor,

I would like to post this again to share some of your and my experiences with the many people that are going to Paris the balance of this year. 

It may be of interest, and it's too difficult to re-do the entire set of information!

Hope it will help some MRI.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...