13 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2012 11:23 AM by pluto77 RSS

What Are Your Summer Travel Plans?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm always interested in hearing about people's travel plans, as I always learn new things, including new perspectives on travel and travel tips as well as destinations, activities or side trips that I had never considered.  So where is everyone headed this summer, and what activities will you be enjoying while there?!  Anyone mixing business with pleasure?  Please tell us about it.

I'll start.  Because my family is so spread out, the majority of my travel primarily revolves around traveling to see and spend time with family both out of state and out of country.  My imminently approaching trip to France and Italy involves meeting up with loved ones.  Since we're meeting up in places we've already been, it's more about just spending time together and taking a break in some great places, as opposed to say, checking off another destination on my travel "bucket list."  In July, it's a trip up to Idaho for a short visit with my oldest daughter who lives in Boise, as well as seeing a dear childhood friend in Coeur d'Alene and some cousins who live near Spokane, WA.  August will find us down at Newport Coast Villas for more family time and coastal recreation.

What about you?!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What Are Your Summer Travel Plans?
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Good question!

My plans don't take me to France or Italy this year so....I'm jealous!

We leave Wed to head for Indianapolis where I'll be attending my 32nd Indy 500. In June, we head to Miami Beach for fun (all my trips are fun since I'm retired). Then, in August we head to Newport, Rhode Island for our nephews wedding and then to Massachusetts for the annual 'cousins' gathering. Late August has me to Anaheim, San Francisco and Seattle to watch my Red Sox play the Angels, A's and Mariners. Hope I can slip in another trip to the Reagan Library while there.

September takes us to Palm Desert and the Palm Springs area, an annual trip. November takes us back to our 'friendly' home in St. Maarten and maybe a side trip to Aruba to visit with good friends.

Still looking to fill July and giving serious consideration to that Hawaii offer at Wailea for October!

Other 'side' trips to Orlando, Tampa and Naples always slide in between these plans but they're usually last minute 'get up and go' spur of the moment trips.

That's it for now.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Tef,

That's right, I recall you mentioning something about Indy.  What a great tradition.  You could make a VISA commercial! (Do you recall the commercial about the group of guys who have gone to the Superbowl every year for some ridiculous number of years?)  Or maybe a Marriott commercial if you always stay at a Marriott.  And you follow your favorite ball club around (on the opposite coast, no less)?  That's some fan dedication right there.  I am lucky enough to just get down to see the Dodgers play in their home stadium about once/year, although it would be the same distance to see them play (I mean "whop" - the Giants in SF).

Newport, RI sounds interesting.  Never been there.  Also, I wish I could get all of my cousins together for an annual reunion.  We talk about it, but it just never happens.   So Palm Desert and Aruba are where your MVC's are, right?  My 'get up and go' side trips are usually to Monterey Peninsula or Morro Bay.

Funny, I have the Wailea offer opened right now in another window.  Tempting indeed, but I now have a hankering for the Kona Coast.  I really like your travel calendar!  You are well traveled, my friend, but as you said, you're retired.  And for both of those facts, I too am jealous!

Hi Pluto:

Yes, Indy is quite the experience. Started going in 1981. Now stay at the new Marriott complex downtown. I do remember the VISA commercial about the guys who have gone to every Super Bowl! I also did a west coast junket last year to follow my Sox!

Newport is a great place to visit! Fabulous area with the mansions, restaurants, port area and the seacoast. A great take! If you get the chance you must go!

We have timeshares at Desert Springs Villas II and Shadow Ridge, both in Palm Desert. We go to Aruba to visit some very good Dutch friends of ours (we've been to all three of their daughters weddings, 2 in Aruba and 1 in Holland). We have a home in St. Maarten where we met them...they lived on the island until the grandchildren started arriving and they moved to Aruba. The come here to visit us and we go there.

I love the Monterey peninsula! It's a fabulous area. We used to go to San Fran every year for many years and always fit in a trip down the coast a bit to the Monterey area. Loved it!

Maybe we should all have an MRI gathering in Wailea!

When do you leave for France and Italy?

Happy travels!

Hi Tef,

I will definitely add Newport, RI to a future New England itinerary.  I'm really glad it came up in the conversation.

I forgot just how far south Aruba is.  How long is the flight from Fl.?  And how do you like the MVC property there?  Have you visited any other Marriott resorts in the Carribean?

An MRI gathering would be great fun, and Wailea can certainly have my vote.

We leave for France on Friday.  Looking forward to it!  I just read the neatest Memorial Day email (don't usually have time for 'forwards,' but made an exception for this one.)  It honors Veteran's on Memorial Day and it is really nicely done.  I'm glad I was able to take a 'pause for the cause' today, as to be honest, Memorial Day might slip my mind (though I hope not) while abroad.  My brother is in France right now, and he gets the prize for the best itinerary: he will be in Normandie on D-day.  Good going, Bromeister.

P.S.  Enjoy Indy!  May your favorite driver win.

Safe travels to you as well.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Well, I must say I am jealous of both of your trips.  You are both going to places I would love to visit or visit again.  I know you both have spent months preparing for your trips.  I just know you will enjoy everything you see and do.  I will look forward to your trip reports.

Our major destination this summer is Glacier National Park.  During our trip, we will also be heading north into Canada where we'll spend some time in Calgary and Banff.  We are staying in Marriott properties as well as National Park lodging.

We would also have the Wailea Beach Marriott on our bucket list; however, we just spent a week there in November.  We had a lovely stay, but right now we are saving points for Italy.   It is a fantastic deal, so take advantage of it if you can.

Are you driving to Glacier National or flying into Montana? If driving there's some great country to go through getting there. Beautiful scenery.

I wonder if the 'Singing Mountie' ever caught the burglar of Banff? (There might not be many folks who remember what TV show this was on)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

We're flying to Las Vegas for a few nights, then to Salt Lake City.  We'll drive from there.  If you have some recs for places to stay or see or eat, please let me know.  I'm not familiar with the "Singing Mountie", but I sure hope he caught the burglar.

In the old 1960's TV Series 'F Troop' (F Troop is a bunch of cavalry misfits), the Singing Mountie was chasing the 'Burglar of Banff' and Corporal Agarn's look alike French Canadien cousin 'Lucky Pierre Agarnierre' was thought to be the burglar. The singing Mountie was comedian Paul Lynde. It was really meant to be a spoof of the Canadien town's name because of the way the Corporal Agarn pronounced it........and the episode did a lot towards putting Banff on the travel map! We (I) really had a simple life back then as a kid.

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Malaysia and Singapore for 2 weeks - staying at a couple of Marriott properties (on points) and a ICH group hotel (paid for).

Can't wait!

Perhaps we'll all just have a 'jealous' party.  Sounds like some really nice travels are in the works.  I have always wanted to go to Banff and GNP, and I love National Park lodges.  Good for you, RBfan.

Absolutelegend, Malaysia and Singapore sound great.  Will you be visiting Kuala Lumpur?  My daughter's sister-in-law moved there this past January.

Hope to hear about more Summer travel plans from Insiders, as well as which properties you've chosen for your stays!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Central Spain in Sept - Oct.

Apparently not going to be using my Marriott Gift Cards as I wanted to (as you will note from other posts)!  But, I'm going to use up ALL of my Marriott points if they are good hotels in good locations!

So, although not a formal agenda yet, and not in traveling order:

Madrid

Aranjuez

El Escorial and Valle de los Caidos

Toledo

Consurgra (have to do the windmills!)

Cuenca (if time allows)

Segovia

Salamanca

Avila

Zamora (if time allows)

newhiltonmember,

NICE!

I sure hope the gift card/AC thing gets squared up by then!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...