18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 4:07 AM by californian RSS

LHR Marriott

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be staying at the Marriott at LHR.  I will be arriving at terminal 1.  Marriott does not offer a shuttle.  Can I take the subway?  Other suggestions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Harlington, Hayes, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Heathrow Marriott Hotel
  • Re: LHR Marriott
    platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

You can take the subway to Hatton Cross which is the stop before Terminals 1,2,3. You will then need to get on a bus (its a normal london Red bus but it is free to everyone within the boundaries of the airport) and the bus only takes 5 minutes literally - you need a 285. The bus stops on the opposite side of the road to the Marriott but almost directly opposite. I also think there is a bus from Terms 1,2,3 which stop outside the Marriott (again this bus is free, a London red bus), but not sure of the number. The hotel will tell you. The hotel is on the Bath Road.

Please make sure you are not staying at the London Heathrow/Windsor Marriott as this is in a completely different area. The main Marriott which is what i think you are talking about is a very nice property with a very small executive lounge, but has a nice pool, and a couple of restaurants.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks Platinumstar, someone on Tripadvisor mentioned a free bus.  I will look into this.  If this is true, I wonder why Marriott doesn't mention it on the transportation from the airport section.

platinumstar Platinum 3 Reviews

Because Marriott would rather you take one of the taxis which cost a fortune to go a short distance.

Thanks.  People on Tripadvisor said the same thing about taxis.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Having stayed there before, if you have much baggage, consider a taxi.  It may save you a lot of  time and is not that expensive.  Just remember, after a long flight and confusing airpot, it may make sense to spend a little and relax.

Lastly, you may want to email to hotel and ask the Concierge if they have any suggestions.  I don't know if you are planning to stay there and see London, but if you are plan on a commute of 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours each way by tube to most locations.

Good luck

Thanks Jerry,  I will be coming on a short flight from Norway and just overnighting before a flight home.  I will not have any pounds and would prefer not to have to get any so I will need to use a cc.  I got an e-mail addrress from plat reservations and have contacted them.

californian,

Yes, the taxi could be a real cost, but if you leave early or arrive late, it might be a good option.  Again, I would make an attempt to contact the hotel directly and explain your situation.  Make the call during the business day, as the better staff is usually available then.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

I had the same situation going to Amsterdam and it worked out with a taxi.  Heathrow can be a little overwhelming.  There are plenty that literally sleep in the airport and you will want to be careful there, I don't thing that place is that safe!

blava007 Platinum

Californian,

One option is to stay at the Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel or at the Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel, both have a good direct service from the Airport to the hotels. For example, the Marriott Windsor you can take "Bus H5", it's max 10-15 max minutes to/from airport, ~ 7.00 pounds round price.   But do note; not much to do or see around any of the two hotels, but short distance to visit Windsor Casttle and city from the Marriot hotel.  

gtofield Platinum

Californian-

Not sure if you heard back from the hotel but they were very helpful when I stayed there a couple of years ago...I was coming from London, as opposed to your scenario, and was told to get to Hayes & Harlington (regular suburban train service) and then a bus, which stops right across the street. I'm quite sure there was an airport area shuttle bus for which I paid, but it wasn't expensive.

mbeest Platinum

From Terminal 1, follow signs to the bus station where you should take the one of the following: 140 (preferred), 111, 285  (or 105 if you have to).

Get off at "New Road" which is directly outside the Heathrow Marriott.

All these buses are free from the bus station to New Road (but you'll need to pay if you go any further)

(you can go by tube to Hatton cross and get the 285 towards Heathrow terminals 1,2,3 if you like, but it takes longer to get to Hatton Cross, so isn't worth it in my opinion).

Thanks to everyone for your help.  As of now, the Marriott has not responded.  From their website, the hopper bus cost about $8 USD each way for a ride that is less than 2 miles.  A cab costs more than twice that and then a tip would take it up more.  The hopper bus has many bad comments such as disgruntled employees, running late, changing the route without notice, etc.  I guess that the hotels used to run shuttles till the government stopped them and added the hopper bus.  Many people camplain that it is a rip off.

I found a site on the free bus system:  http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/information/heathrow-airport/heathrow-london-bus.htm  A clip from it following.

Heathrow Freeflow Free Fare Zone

These are the bus routes serving Heathrow and the immediate vicinity which  are a free service. However they are only free for stops within the free  fare zone. The sections that are free for bus travel at Heathrow airport are part of  larger routes and not dedicated Heathrow buses but part of the public  transport system.  The free travel zone is sponsered by the owners  of Heathrow Airport, BAA. Very roughly the zone stretches on the North side from the  Sheraton Heathrow Colnbrook to the Sheraton Skyline along the Bath Road.  On the East side following the path of the perimeter road down to the  Jurys Hotel. Then on the South side along the Southern Perimeter Road  out to the World Cargo centre.

When you board the bus tell the driver your destination. If its outside  the free zone you will be asked for a fare. These routes are all part of  normal services which go much further than the vicinity of the airport.

I will see what the hotel suggests but I think if I am not too tired, I may try the free bus to the hotel and if it works well on the way back to the airport.  A taxi will be my backup.  No hopper bus.

Marriott just replied and suggested the H3 hoppa bus.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

You certainly don't need to take the Hoppa or a taxi to the LHR Marriott.  mbeest above gives specifics on where to find the bus & which #s to take.  Usually those bus #s are found at stands 19 or 20 (I think) at the bus station, and they run frequently.  I think the Marriott is the 3rd or 4th stop once you get on the bus - it's the one directly after the LHR Renaissance stop (Renaissance is on the opposite side of the street).

I've stayed at the LHR Ren many times & always take the free bus from the airport.  The Ren isn't as new as the Marriott, but the prices are cheaper at the Ren, the view from the exec lounge can't be beat since it's next to the runways, the lounge is open on the weekend and they do a nice spread on the food in the morning & in the evening.

If you do stay at the LHR Marriott, you'll need to cross the street to catch the bus back to LHR.

Cheers.

thanks skiadcock.  that is what I will do.  I will be using my free night from the Marriott Credit Card so I am not concerned about the price at the Marriott.  I hope they don't get me on taxes that some places are starting to do.  Without a place like this to get info, travel would be much harder.

Shiadcock

I am at the LHR Marriott.  Your directions were perfect.  My plane landed, Went through immigration, got baggage, customs, caught bus and at hotel 1 hr from landing.  Perfect.  Tomorrow going back might be harder since I may have to leave from terminal 5 if I can't get on AA flight from terminal 3.

Thanks,

That is so good to know, I have been taking taxi's and this is a great plan.

Jerry,

I walked to the bus and just when I got there it pulled up.  I got on and in a few minutes was at the hotel.  And, it was free.  I will let you know about the return.  I am leaving in plenty of tima and it is nice outside so I should be fine.

Jerry,

Going back to airport was a little more but fine.  I had to walk to the light and cross the street, about 1 block in all to stop.  If I were leaving from terminal 1-3, many buses but terminal 5 only 423 which comes every 25 min.  I was at the signal when one left so had to wait but still got to airport, checked in and went through security in 1 1/2 hr.  I am back in lounge and will have breakfast again before I board.

Thanks to all who helped.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...