31 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 12:34 PM by tryt53 RSS

"2nd Verse, The same as the First!"

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

One of my favorite songs is The Herman Hermits, "I'm Henry The 8th, I am!"  It reminds me of my recent stay at The Renaissance AdT in Paris.  The second stay was as good as the first!  All I need is six more stays there!  Let me share with you why I enjoy this hotel so much:

THE STAFF:

The Concierge staff is as good as it gets!  They arranged to have me picked up at CDG, from the plane, brought thru customs, help with luggage and drive me directly to the hotel.  Yes, it is about three times more expensive than just taking a commercial taxi, but after a long flight and with 6 bags, I figure it's worth it.  Cedric, Remi, and Chloe have been really great when it comes to recommending the right place to dine or visit.  They are real professionals as is the front desk staff.  They greet you with professionalism and a warm smile!

IMG_2299.JPG

Remi with Elizabeth, professionals!

SERVICE!

This is one of the only Marriott properties that I have stayed at that not only comp's PP breakfast, but actually brings a continental breakfast to the room!  That really "Makes my day", when  I can relax in my room and dine at 10:30, then leave the room when I am ready.  Anne, is such a wonderful server, that makes each morning meal a pleasure!

IMG_2302.jpg

Anne brings up the PP gift!  What a classy young lady!

LOCATION!

From room 616, you can see both the AdT, as well as the Eiffel Tower!  The walk to The C-E is short and the area is somewhat "Magical", in that you don't have the enormous crowds of the C-E, and the prices are quite a bit less.  Enjoy these photos.

IMG_2314.JPG

The Eiffel Tower is to the left and the AdT is to the right, from the window of room 616.

IMG_2335.JPG

Just out the front door of the hotel and the first place to your left, you will find a great sidewalk cafe.  Here "Le Doctor", will have a great glass of vin rouge, to lower your cholesterol and extend your life!  Formerly living in California, this host is most friendly and speaks wonderful English!

IMG_2304.JPG

A short walk, and inexpensive, but fantastic food, try this place!  English as well as French are welcome, and make sure you enjoy the escargot!  The very best I have ever had!

IMG_2312.JPG

Romar, and owner Christian, will greet you with pleasure.  Note the prices!  15 Euros gets you a nice meal!

If you like Chocolate, this place is historic and memorable!

IMG_1618.JPG

There are so many great places to stay and visit in Paris!  If you ever get a chance to visit Paris, you will enjoy The Renaissance AdT!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: "2nd Verse, The same as the First!"
    tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Thank you again Jerry, for another great post.  I always appreciate gathering all the wonderful information you post, for our future trip!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joanprichardson Gold 1 Reviews

I totally agree with your review. My husband and I stayed the the hotel for six nights at the end of March and had a wonderful stay at this hotel.  It was the combination of location,competence and attitude of the staff, and the beautiful city that creates fabulous memories. We hope to return to Paris and this hotel soon.

joanprichardson,

Hope you make it back soon as well!  This location may not be for all, but really does have a lot going for it!

tryt,

Thanks for the comment!  One nice thing about Paris, there are a lot of great properties to choose from.  Depending on your budget, location needs, family size, and whatever, you can find a Marriott property for your needs.  Really think the key is "Advance planning"!  Shop to get the best location you can get with either points or best room rates.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry, I would like to "piggy back" on Tryt's comment as well.  "Another great post!"  The Ren AdT sounds like a wonderful hotel with a wonderful staff!  There are so many "magical" places in Paris (streets, squares, neighborhoods, etc.); this is just one more to add to the list.  I will encourage my family to dine at P'*** Bouchon Gourmand.  It sounds perfect for us.  Is it on the same street as the Ren AdT?

Sounds like another great visit to the City of Light for you.

pluto,

I am guessing that you will be using the Metro in Paris.  It is a straight shot from LaDefense on the yellow line to AdT.  When you get out look for Wagram Avenue.  Just walk on the North side of the Street (Same side as hotel), you will not have to go far, when you see the McDonalds at Rue Troyan.  It will be about halfway down the street on the side opposite McDonalds.  The sole was excellent, as was the lobster.  This is not a real formal place, but is certainly very French and pleasant.  Here is a picture of the best table in the house, table 4, I don't know if it is large enough for your family.  There are other tables that they can move together.  I would suggest you make a reservation and tell them of your families needs.  By the way, there were other babies in their while I dined there and the staff was very kind to them. 

IMG_2311.JPG

This is a nice little booth!  Note the lunch menu with specials at 15 Euro.  Note the Lapin (Rabbit), if you so desire!  You do not need to dress up!  People were casual, but we tend to always dress up.  By the way, if you cross the street and walk down the hill you will see an Expensive place to dine, Guy Savoy's place, #18, a cup of truffle soup there will cost you more than your entire meal here ($125 plus).

pluto, you may want to walk down the street, after dining and say hello to the Concierge at The Ren. AdT.  Remi, or any of them will enjoy a "Hello" from a California native!

By the way, if anyone in your family wants to have some good streak, don't forget Relias du Venice.  It's the metro stop at Port Mallot, the one right before AdT.  The only thing on the menu is steak, but it is another festive place to dine!

What a lovely photo!  Yes, this place sounds 'perfect,' for us.  I hope we will be the 'perfect' customers for them as well.  Thanks for the directions, as well as the other dining suggestions.  And it would be my pleasure to stop in and say 'hello' to the Concierge staff.  They sound lovely.

Congratulations on a nice trip!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Super JC, just super.

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Jerry,

Many thanks. An exceptional post, even by your high standards. For one moment I thought that the bottle of wine came with the continental breakfast - but then realised that it was your PP gift:-) If you ever feel the need of a little exercise (to make room for the next sumptuous meal), you might try a stroll along the Seine from Pont de Neuilly to Asnieres, scene of Seurat's "Bathing" masterpiece. 100.jpg

I was in Paris myself a few days ago. At this time of year, it is still a wonderful location - except, that is, unless your happen to be an incoming President; on the day of his investiture the rain started at the moment of his open-car parade to the Elysee, continued during his visit to the Arc; and in the evening the plane taking him to meet Chancellor Merckel in Berlin had to return to Charles de Gaulle when it was struck by lightning. Hardly auspicious omens: Shakespeare would have had a field day!

Best regards,

A

A,

Your comment garnered a quiet smile on my part, as I thought (wondered) the same.

pluto,

Got the same "Smile"!  You can never get enough of The Seine scenery!  Here's a few more!

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

arkwright,

I wish I had known you were in Paris.  Would have loved to have you come by and share that great bottle of wine with you!

Was there on that Monday morning and it was a "Nasty" day.  Did not even go out till that evening.  Did not know the new French President was taking over that day, but traffic was a real mess.  When I looked out the BR window I saw no traffic and wondered what was going on, it was because they had the street closed to the AdT.

Loved your picture and I am going to put up a post about my Louvre visit!

Hope to see you later this year!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jerry:

Great posts and pics! You sure make me want to head back there this year in my 'open' travel schedule!

Happy Travels!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Did you get to the Hot Dog stand yet?

Tef,

Last week, I visited the hot dog stand twice!  Bad choice, as I spilled mustard all over a new silk shirt and ruined it!  Should have listed to Pluto and avoided the place.  It is the only one I saw in Paris.  It sits behind the drugstore on the West side of C-E, by the AdT.  Here is the memorable photo that should never have been taken! This is an easy walk from The C-E Marriott as well as the Ren. AdT.  

IMG_1625.JPG

Jerry,

I will have to visit the hot dog stand (personal weakness).  I will make sure to pack a red and orange shirt (that sounds horrible) to cover both the mustard and ketchup stains

tryt53,

Why didn't I think of that!  I was trying to be careful, but walking and eating a hot dog, at the same time is a recipe for disaster!

There are a lot of easy "Ice cream" spots that you would really enjoy as well!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

jerry, I bet you will arrange to stay there 6 more times.  I predict this will be our hotel of choice when we return to Paris.

razorbackfan,

Six more times!  I hope!  Having lost my count at 62 trips to Paris.  Am sorry, I never learned French, but it has never been a problem for me.  While I enjoy this hotel a lot, every one has different needs and/or budget.  The prices can fluctuate widely and you really have to monitor them constantly.

Hope this will help in your planning for your trip!

Our itinerary has changed slightly.  Upon arrival, we head out to Village I'le de France for the weekend, and then back into central Paris where we will stay the week at Ren La Def.  My daughter had requested that on the day we arrive in Paris that we spend the day in the city before training out to Village I'le de France.  In order to do that, we would need to find a place to store our luggage for the day.  I contacted the Renaissance Vendome and asked if they wouldn't mind allowing us to store our luggage there for a few hours even though we will not actually be guests at that specific property, and they cheerfully agreed!  Thank you Marriott, and specifically Ren Vendome!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear P,

A couple of lines on the Ren La Defense - where I stayed three weeks ago. I confess to approaching the visit with a little trepidation - related mainly to the location and character of the "La Defense" area. In the event, my fears proved largely groundless. For me, much depended on working to a set of realistic expectations; neither the hotel nor the area are comparable with, for example, the Vendome and the Tuilleries. That said, the scale and vision behind La Defense is interesting - particularly Mitterand's real monument, the Grande Arche - and the hotel, while perhaps a little frayed at the edges, offered all I needed: a corner room on a high floor, either an Executive Lounge or, when closed complementary breakfast in the main restaurant, and, critically, a bar that sent me happily to bed around 23.30. The staff were friendly, competent and always helpful.

It is not an area to expect to eat - follow all Jerry's tips for that requirement - but the Hotel gives easy access to the RER A and Metro Ligne 1 (take Exit B and the walk is about 200 metres), and thence to a walk along the Seine at Pont de Neuilly or access to the Bois de Boulogne (wonderful at this time of year) from Porte Maillot, or the Gardens from Les Sablons - all these before you get to AdT and the main attractions. In summary, I had a much more enjoyable than I'd anticipated. I hope you reach a similar assessment.

Best,

A

arkwright,

Agree with you!

While this is not "Place Vendome", there is some very nice features for many.  Transportation, comfort, CL, and cost savings.  This place can be very special on week-ends, when the price drops.  After all, 15 minutes to the C-E is not too much time when you can save 100's of Euro's!

Dear A,

Thank you for the line on Ren LD.  I appreciate it.  Other than that I trust Jerry's advice (as well as yours, and why not?), I have no fancy expectations of the Ren LD surroundings.  The property appeals to me singly as a property that offers an oversided room for a very good price and close to the metro, and little more.  Since Paris is a city that I plan on returning to yet many more times, I also look to my stay as an opportunity to check off another Paris Marriott property on my check list, born of a silly hankering to stay at them all.  I will look forward to seeing the "Arch" up close.  Our time in Paris is short, and as my daughter has never been, coupled with the fact of sightseeing with my two very young grandchildren, which will slow us down considerably, we will just barely have time to hit the highlights.  On any other trip, I would revel in the opportunity to get off the beaten tourist path to enjoy lesser known particulars.

After staying at two Paris properties, and speaking with the front desk staff at three others now,  Paris Marriott's are now five for five for me in terms of their excellent customer service.

I will add your recommendations to my Paris Sights "see/do" list for future visits.

pluto,

Don't forget to get your RER/Metro tickets for your length of stay at CDG, if you can.  You will be able to commute from EuroDisney and all over Paris with them.  It will save you a lot of money.

i am planning on it.   thanks.

Pluto,

You are going to enjoy the "Low" price of a Euro!  A two year low!  Have fun!

By the way, the best exchange rate I found was at AMEX and AMEX at Printimpts Dept. store.  Make sure if you take the family shopping you get the 10% off coupon along with the Paris map that Printimpts gives to the Concierges.  It can save you plenty!

Jerry, we loved the low price of the euro.  Having said that, it seemed like euros just slipped through our fingers like sand!  Especially in Italy.  One thing though, I did not use the Marriott gift card (which I purchased in January with the Europe trip in mind), because the hotel exchange rates were poor, and those poor exchange rates were what the hotel would use against my Marriott gift card, so as to not diminish the value of my gift card, I opted to not use it this trip in favor of using in the states to get the full value of the USD.  (As a result, I think I hear Hawaii calling my name...)

Pluto,

Aloha!

You are thinking like me!

I am not sure that the costs are worth taking trips to Europe any longer.  Maybe I am wrong, but I sure just enjoy taking a car ride in the USA.  When it costs $10,000 plus for two business class tickets round trip to Europe, I can buy a lot of hot dogs here.

Glad you had a lot of fun on your trip.  Hawaii is easy for you, but not from the Mid-West, no non-stop flights from here.

Welcome back!

Thanks.  I really don't want to be negative, but this trip was totally exhausting.  I lost 8 pounds!  (I don't think that's supposed to happen on vacation!)  Learned a lot from it though... when I want to spend quality time with my little grandbabies, I'll go to their house and crawl around on the floor with them instead of taking them to Paris and Venice.  Also, the crowds of tourists were oppressive; will stay away from Europe completely in the summer months from here on out.

One thing about the cost of airfare.  The A380 is a marvelously spacious aircraft.  Economy seating was absolutely wondeful, and they have premium economy for not much more, which is even better.  My mom is 74, and she did great on the 11 hour flight from Paris to LA aboard the A380.  Honestly, I will probably book all future long haul itineraries around the availability of A380 flights.  Not sure what a typical flight itinerary from MO. entails (which airport you begin your long haul flights from), but while there's still not many of these new planes in service, I know for instance that you can catch one from DC.  Not sure what other eastern airports the A380's fly across the pond from.  Perhaps I'll Google it.  Something to think about.

Don't think I have ever flown on an A380, that might be a good way to save some money.  The business class seats have doubled in the last year on Delta.  It may just not be worth it to fly business class anymore?

pluto,

That's a great tip, about the A380 and the premium economy.  I'll try to remember that in a couple of years, or try to find this information again here   Welcome back!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...