19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 7:12 PM by mgoes2 RSS

Which Smart Phone (and Smart Phone Apps) do you like for traveling and why?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been using a BlackBerry for 3 years now.  For App and Internet use, I loath the thing.  The interface is horrible, and the browser is extremely slow.  Additionally, the track ball is constantly getting stuck (I have to keep alcohol wipes on hand to un-stick the track ball.)

It's time for a new phone!  Looking at the Droid and the Apple.  Which phone (O/S) do you favor, and why?  Which apps do you use to help you get around and find stuff, both home and abroad?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: Which Smart Phone (and Smart Phone Apps) do you like for traveling and why?
    psukeith5053 Platinum

Hey Pluto,

I have had the iPhone4 for almost 2 years, and LOVE IT.  I plan on upgrading to the 5 whenever it is released.  I have found that the airline apps have been very helpful, especially when it comes to checking in, finding a free available upgraded seat (Like United Economy plus 24 hours before takeoff), and then scanning my mobile boarding pass, so I am also paperless!

Another that I highly recommend, especially for those who like to stay on the ground, is road ninja.  It's an app that you use while on the interstate and tells you what restraunt's and gas stations are coming up on each exit.  I use it much more often than you'd think!

I also enjoy my bank and credit card apps, especially when traveling, you never know what sort of shady places/people you may visit and your card numbers could be stolen, so it's nice to be able to verify my account balances on the go!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Which Smart Phone (and Smart Phone Apps) do you like for traveling and why?
    foxcode Platinum

I have spent the better part of my career in Telecom and can tell you my personal number was originally on a "Bag Phone in 89. That said, I share your lathing for BlackBerry. I am looking at a Droid which is 4G Network, extremely fast and I am looking at an I Phone 4S which is only 3G. It would be easy if the 4G version of the iPhone was available but it is not on Company 1 or Company 2 today. The next thing to make the gate on decision is security - not the number of pas available. This takes you right back to an aspect of aps and ap stores. The google store for droid has far more apps today than apple, but the difference is anybody can get an ap on droid. They do not certify the apps. At least Apple certifies the apps in their ap store. Why care? Because if you want all of your personal information in the hands of bad guys on the net, go ahead and install an ap that is not pre certified . It takes very little hidden script behind a fake URL link to broadcast all your information halfway around the world. So the choice to me is waiting for a 4G I Phone or or buying a 3G IPhone today.

These are both helpful responses.  Thanks.

I was told that 85% of the Droid Apps are free, where as 85% of the iPhone Apps are not free, but see now you've filled in the blanks by explaining why the Droid Apps are free.  That's good to know!  A big thing that concernes me about the iPhone is that the battery is built in.  If the battery goes belly up, so does the phone, although Droid is coming out with a phone which, while it has more whistles and bells, it too has a built in battery.  The airline apps (including check-in) sounds nice, as does the Road Ninja.  It's just great to be able to look stuff up, especially when abroad and there can be a language barrier.  It would be nice to have a good Marriott app on my phone, and of course Google Maps is a must.  With Google Maps, who needs a GPS?  What about productivity software like the equivalent to Microsoft One Note.  I ask because that's where I keep all of my trave notes.  I also have my iTunes library, but then with Droid I'd be starting a whole new protocol with Droid music...it's a tough decision (especially since I'm not one to replace my phone often).

Which is the phone where the lady says, "I will now call you Rock God," or something like that?  I don't want to be called Rock God (or in my case, Rock Goddess!), but I'm interested in the voice interface.

Thanks for the input.  I hope others will chime in as well.

psukeith5053 Platinum

I'm not sure on the accuracy 85% comment, but I do know this much, any app that serves a real everyday purpose, including the ones that I mentioned above, are free or at least have a free version.  I can't think of a single app that wasn't a game that I have downloaded that wasn't free!

I do know the Siri on the iPhone 4S can be programmed to call you whatever you want, as a friend of mine can tell it to call his girlfriend and it does just that.  I'm pretty sure that the voice and text recognition on the 4S is capable of calling you a Rock Goddess, if that is what you want!  Although, I don't know what industry/career you are in, but in Finance I would expect some odd looks if my phone referred to me as the Rock God!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

My thought on free vs paid apps, is that, as psukeith5053 mentioned also, most have a free version available that you can try and many times it is just fine.  Others don't cost much, and some have versions that you can pay about $1.00 for and get no ads presented to you.  If you like an app enough, I have no problem paying from $1.00 to $5.00 for something really good.  I figure that most of the apps and games I decide to get, give me a lot more usage for the money, than a movie I might want to go to.  Also, giving a little money to people who develop really good software, helps them stay in business and they can write MORE good software.  It's like paying for music or movies or anything else.  If we all tried to get it all for free all the time, the good music and movies, and sports, and things we enjoy, would all eventually dry up.

Tryt, agreed.  I don't mind paying for apps.  I was just addressing the concern of uncertified apps.  Certified vs. uncertified...if it costs a company more money to certify an app and therefore drives the price up a tad bit, it's worth it.  Like foxcode mentioned, I wouldn't want junk on my phone that had spyware or viruses, etc.

Seems to be that I have too much time to add to this thread .  On our last Alaska Airlines trip, we were on our first-class voucher trip (Only way I'll ever afford it , and had a layover in California were looking at the AA app and noticed there was a Alaska Board Room at the airport, which we had not been aware of.  It showed us right where it was on the app and it was really close, so we were able to enjoy that for a couple of hours while we waited for the next plane.  Without the app, we would have just sat out on the chairs waiting for the next plane.  Really nice to have that information sometimes.

Pluto,

I have to say I prefer the iPhone and Apple, mainly because I use them also for work.  I do like some of the Android features, but think the Apple provides easier handling and application control than the Android.  I've had the iPhone for over 4 years and wouldn't change it.   I was leaning towards the Blackberry about 4 years ago, and then I took my wife down to the AT&T store and we played with them side by side.  After about 10 minutes she said, why are we even considering the Blackberry again?  We both got iPhones and haven't looked back yet.  At that time, it was a lot about the easy of use and ease on our aging eyes. 

With the retina displays, the phones have gotten better, but I'm starting to want to travel more and more with the iPad.  It gives such a great travel experience, from browsing the web and emails, to games, to Skype video calls, great picture and HD video capabilities, etc.. and all so pleasant on the eyes.  Mind you, this is just one person'e opinion, and I think you should try to get somewhere where you can compare your final few choices, side by side.  In the family, we have a Macbook Pro, 3 iphones, 2 iPod Touches, an iPad, and Apple TV.  We have a couple of Windows systems around, but everyone pretty much avoids those.  We are definitely prejudiced towards apple, but once upon a time I was prejudiced just as much towards Windows.  Things do change.

It's true.  I've been an IBM/Microsoft proponent and user all my life, and what has given me a cause to pause is Apple's iChat.  For the longest time, when I Skyped with my kids in Germany, the image was highly pixelated, even after I purchased a better webcam.  Then the first time I was in Germany and did iChat on my kids Mac with my daughter's in-laws (Mac to Mac), I was floored beyond words.  The image was full screen and it was crystal clear.  I could hardly believe my eyes.  It made a believer out of me, and has caused me to seriously consider making that move over to the 'dark' side.  My husband has had his iPhone for over a year now, and we don't even use the computer anymore for video chats.  We just use FaceTime.  I would admittedly prefer a much larger image, but I was thinking that the iPad would be perfect for that, and I could probably get away with just the wifi iPad, since all of our FaceTiming is done at home.  So I was thinking that I could just purchase the 'tethering' data plan on the phone for times when I needed to travel with an iPad, that way saving from having two data plans, one for the phone and one for the tablet.  I really want to like the Droid; my son loves his and the guys at the phone store are completely sold on the Droid, but I keep gravitating toward Apple.  There are a lot of features on some phones that I just flat don't need.  And I don't play games (boring, I know.)

Pluto,

That is the way I currently do it too.  I pay the extra charge and use my iPhone as a hotspot for the laptop, iPad, or my daughter's iPod.  I remember the first time my 11 year old daughter wanted to use her iPod while we were driving and I told her she could.  She said she couldn't because we weren't in a wifi network, and I told her to watch me.  Then I showed her how to turn the phone into a hotspot and she connected and was thrilled.  Little pleasures can be the most fun!

Pluto,

For travel apps, I have the mobile Marriott (still needs some work), AlaskaAir (nice app), TripTracker, TripAdvisor, and Flysmart.  I'm always on the lookout for more and better apps, so I'll be interested to hear what others have discovered.

The travel apps are what it's all about for me.  I would love to have the airline and hotel apps, and conversion apps, maps, finding monuments and restaurants, and the gas thing sounds great.

I have a conversion app on my BlackBerry that works good (I mainly just use it for currency, temperature, sometimes distance and volume but not often), but the interface is clunky.  I do have an app called Runtastic which I use for my walks.  It's very cool, tracks distance, time, splits, mph, altitude climb, and caloric burn, but I figure that anything I can get on a "Crack"Berry, I can get on Apple or Droid, and probably a much better version.

To mgoes,

the food apps sound great.  But Apple ditching Google Maps?    I don't know if I can live without that!  Now see, this is a fine example of corporations not playing nice together!!

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

A very timely question for me!  We just went through changing phone hell this past week...it is half dozen of one or the other.  We finally settled on getting 3 of the new iphone4s for my husband and daughters...but I went with the android Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket for myself (all AT&T phones).  There are pluses and minuses that I can see for both right now.

* iphone4s - EASY to use!  Video chat is amazing!  Siri is cool, too.  However, for me the screen size is too small and I'm not wild about the limitations of an Apple phone.

* Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket - Setting it up takes a bit more doing, but there's some great aps that I'm finding that help make it easier such as Kies Air.  I'm a bit of a nerd, so there's the thrill for me of knowing I can play with it to get it the way I want it eventually.  I really LOVE the big screen!  And the super fast 4g is awesome!

As far as aps go, I love google maps and I understand that Apple will be discontinuing allowing it as an ap on their products soon...they're launching their own counterpart.  I also use the aps for Marriott, Delta, American Airlines, TripAdvisor, Weather Channel, Urban Spoon, Tasting Table and Open Table.  The androids also have the ap that you can point your phone at a bar code and price compare with other stores while shopping.  I'm only less than a week into it, so I'm sure I'll discover more as I go.

psukeith5053 Platinum

I had not heard about Apple ditching Google Maps, but I looked it up and they are in fact working on a map system that will apparently "revolutionize" maps as we know it!  3D technology could be the only real innovator in my mind, but I highly doubt they take that route, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.  I do however hope it's at least as easy to use as Google Maps, as I use it frequently!!!

sdbroker Platinum

I'm a big fan of all the Google features, so an Android phone was for me, I still use the original Droid X.  I use Google Voice, Talk, Maps, Drive, Search, Places and Plus. As far as apps, the one I like most is FlightTrack to track my airfare.  I think it cost $5 or so, but it has been well worth my time in helping to keep track of flights, airport maps, gate for take-off and arrivals, seat charts and layover times.  Navigation, E-trade, Delta, Marriott, USA Today, the Weather Channel, cab4me, Shazam (can't stump me on name that tune), ESPN Sportscenter, NFL, Barcode reader, the stock alarm and time app is my alarm clock, Bedside (phone only allows calls/text/email from your whitelist, great at night) and QuickOffice for Word/Excel/PDF's complete the most important list for me.  I'm not a gamer, so I don't have any of those.  I also have an iPad, but I dislike the way iTunes has pretty much taken over my PC.  I'm looking to get rid of it and go with a Android Pad.  Hope this helps!

yes, i'm a google fan myself.  the more info the better, so thanks.

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Just added the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.0 to my droid ware!  It's been an interesting few weeks since getting my Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket II and my husband getting the iphone 4s.  I have definitely gotten more use out of all the features with the droid vs his iphone.  He's really yet to figure it all out.  While I still have much to learn in droid world, like rooting...I used it quite proficiently on a recent trip to NYC.  It was much faster at finding bus/subway maps and restaurants than both my husband and daughter's iphone 4s's.

The only jealousy I have is the facetime chat feature on the 4s!  But the pictures come out amazing on the droid.  Here's a picture I took on the sly of Ben Stiller filming a scene for a new movie.20120526_162356.jpg

Location Brand Hotel
      New York City, New York, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...