17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2013 10:56 AM by lakersfan RSS

Marriott have changed my booking without advising me!

janniro Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Some months ago I booked a room at the Renaissance Nashville for 5 nights, 6June - 11June, with 100,000 Marriott Reward points.

I have just checked my reservation and find the booking has been changed, without notification to me, to 120,000 points.  I know the hotel has been reclassified from a grade 5 to a grade 6 but I made the booking when it was a grade 5.

Is it normal practice for Marriott to do this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott have changed my booking without advising me!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Janniro,

It seems that someone else had this happened and upon checking with CS the original reservation was honored.  I think the computer automatically changes this when there is a change in the level of a property.

This property is very nice and walking distance to a lot of Nashville "Hot spots"!  Good luck, I hope it gets cleared-up, so let us know, because others will be facing the same situation.  Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

janniro Silver

Jerrycoin,

Thanks for the advice.  The original booking has been honoured and CS have returned my 20,000 points.

janniro,

Glad it worked out.  That would be most upsetting.  Had wanted to hear how this turned out because I have a friend that might have been in trouble, had this not been worked out for others and yourself!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

janniro, good deal that they got it straightened out for you.  I had the same problem due to a category change also and after some frustration Marriott CS got it right. 

janniro Silver

Just checked my account again and Marriott Rewards have taken back the 20000 points they previously refunded to me.

Will report back when I have contacted CS.

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

I am surprised this happened. I thought the points were deducted from your account when booked

No,

They can be if you choose, but they will really be deducted shortly before your use of them.  You can accumulate up to that point, so book early, and then pay for your stay with points.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I've always had the points deducted immediately.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

When I do not want the points taken out immediately, I call the platinum reservation line to make the reservation and inform them that I don't want the points taken out at that time.  If I make the reservation online, the points are taken out immediately.

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

I have assumed that it is similar to what airlines do.  If you "pay" for your reservation, the rate is locked in.  If you just have a reservation, it is subject to price changes.  I have always had points deducted when I made the reservation "paid for my stay" and had no problems when the rate - category changed - went up.  And, I have had to cancel at least one stay that I booked with points and the points were refunded in full - put back into my account.

carolinacouple Platinum 2 Reviews

This hotel is an excellent location, there is a glass bridge area where you can have a drink.  Walk to honky tonks are very close.

The deduction has happened to us before too, sadly Marriott should fix this blip so we don't have to watch our accounts like a hawk.

Have fun.

janniro Silver

We are looking forward to the trip.  Flying from the UK to Philadelphia on May 30 and driving to Savannah where we stay for a few days.  From Savannah we drive to Nashville and stay for five nights.  The CMA music festival is on for the period of our stay so there should be plenty going on!  From Nashville we take a three day drive to Atlantic City where we spend three nights on the Boardwalk and win enough money to pay for the trip!!!

janniro,

Have you been to any of these places before?

Would be glad to offer some suggestions, but do not want to if you are already experienced in these great spots!

janniro Silver

jerrycoin,

Thanks for the offer.

We have ben to Nashville and Atlantic City a few times before so we know our way around these places but I would appreciate some suggestions on Savannah and the surrounding area.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

janniro

How did everything work out for your trip?  Did you get your 20,000 pts. back?

janniro Silver

We had wonderful trip, but it seems like it was a long time ago!  Yes I did get my 20,000 points back without any trouble.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Thank you for answering.  Yes, it was a long time ago, but I thought that you had probably gotten your points back.  I haven't seen many problems with CS like this.  Glad your trip was great, especially. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...