15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2012 11:45 AM by GemPrincess RSS

What are overnight parking options for Manhattan?

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone have any good options for reasonable overnight parking while staying in Manhattan?  The hotel is $80 per night so we were thinking about parking in NJ and taking a train over.  I'd welcome any suggestions, ideas, advice.  thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, New York, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts New York Marriott Marquis
  • Re: What are overnight parking options for Manhattan?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

engineergirl,

Why not just consider staying in New Jersey?  People have posted on some nice new ways to commute to Manhattan that sound pretty good.  If not, why not see if the Concierge has a deal worked out with a local limo/car service that could pick all of you up with your luggage and take you directly to your hotel.  It may not be more than an Newark Airport Charter.

Hopefully some MI who do this commute way more than me will have some great suggestions.  Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Engineergirl

Do you really need/want a car in the city?  I have been coming here (nyc) for 30 years and have never driven.  the taxi/subway system makes for easy maneuvering and is quite safe.  Is the situation such that you are driving to ny from nc? 

that's exactly it, shoe.  We are driving up as a part of a larger trip and really don't want the car in the city.  Public transport and walking are our preferred methods of getting around.  And this is a trip to celebrate my oldest's graduation and new job in engineering--so Times Square won out :-).

should also emphatically state that said soon -to-be-newly employed engineer son has a much different level of preference than he will have when he's on his own dime

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

engineergirl -- Amen, sister!  It's very interesting how their perspective changes once they are enlightened!  Congrats to #1 son and proud parents!

erc Platinum

Shoe and Jerry are dead on about car in city and good Jersey alternatives. I'm no Courtyard fan, but the Jersey City Courtyard is very pleasant, good service attitude and parking for affordable rates. The PATH is right next door and (with proper prep work, but easy for you engineers) takes you into the city (this is my Yankee stadium gameplan). Enjoy

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

e-girl,

I was "Polite", in my first suggestion, but based on my experience (When I was younger and dumber), there is NO way I would take my car into Manhattan.  When those taxi's see those out of state plates on your car, you will be treated like a "Terrorist."  At least that has been my experience, with Mo. plates on the car, and last time, I got lost at 5 PM on a Friday during rush hour, never again.  I don't car how much I thought I was saving, it was not worth it.

Good luck at whatever you decide. One last thought, you may want to leave your car even further South, and take Amtrak, or the Acela to Grand Central, if you don't have too many bags.  You could do it from DC, Baltimore, or ?

So considering parking at Metropark in Iselin and taking PATH into Penn Station and cab from there (luggage!).  Anyone have experience with this?

thanks, all!  You always come through with really great info and advice that helps make my trips wonderful.  I appreciate it, and you .

stevew Platinum

You can also park in Manhattan for less and cab /subway to the hotel. I stay at the Marquis and park in a lot on 30th. Parking drops to $25/day and it is a short hop to Times Square.

heartnyc Platinum

Why not park in Secaucus Junction and take the train in? It's 20.00 a day to park and 4.00 train fare ,each way and a short ride.  At MetroPark, it's cheaper to park but the fare is more.

I like Secaucus because it's closer to the city. www.njtransit.com will show you parking options at all the stations. Good luck

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

I tend to park in Princeton Jct as its only $5/day to park.  I alos like the fact that its a flat lot, not a highrise, and all very close to train station.   Most of the passengers are students or tech professionals, so its comfortable to come and go anytime of the night.  It does cost more than other stations further north for the ticket, but not that much more.

Hamilton which is south of their charges more for a parking and tickets, and is a high rise parking structure.

When I have to use Trenton for the Amtrak to CT for work, I make my limo drivers take me in, and met me inside on the way back.  Its a very iffy trainstation and neighborhood, and no way would I go into that parking structure at any time of the day or night.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

another option if you are staying at a Marriott, are the packages offered near Newark airport.  The Courtyard is the most reasonable.  The Newark Airport full service not only has the park and stay option, but one their options includes the train tickets.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...