11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2008 5:01 PM by dawnmre RSS

Non-Stay Anytime Reward

surfdad Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I have a question for anyone familiar with using Marriott points for reservations:  It's my wife's birthday in November, and I want to make a reservation at the JW Marriott Resort in Cancun, Mexico. The only choice I get is the Stay Anytime Reward, which requires a bunch more points than the normal reward.  Do I have any chance of getting a non-Stay Anytime room?

• Re: Non-Stay Anytime Reward
    knoxtraveller Silver

I've found that availability depends on the season and how popular the resort/hotel is.  Stay Anytime might be your only option in Cancun.  Have you tried purchasing the extra points? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

compguy Gold
    Doesn't quite answer your question, but why don't you try the CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun. It is across the road from the JW, and other than the pool,/gym, I'm told you can use/sign for the amenities. A lot of people seem to think the CasaMagna is prettier than the JW as well. (Just make sure there is no convention at the CasaMagna.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

knarfpa Silver
    I had the same occur when I originally sought a regular points reservation. I came back to the site every so often and within a month the options opened up and I got the regular rewards reservation. So, keep trying and hopefully it will change for you also.

banshe Platinum

If you're stuck with the date keep trying every few weeks, something usually opens up. If not, keep trying different dates, starting with Monday ending on Friday. Weekends are more popular than weekdays.

Good luck

paulinsocal Platinum
    From what I hear, not likely.  Your best bet would be to call the elite res line ask them to search *Around* the dates you would like to stay to see if there is ANY availability, if you can be flexible with your stay dates.

kenonthego Silver
    The good news is you do have a chance, but there are no guarantees.  I was in the same situation trying to reserve a room with points at the JW Cancun a few months back.  I went ahead and booked the stay anytime award as I was willing to use that many points for the chance to get away from the Midwest cold!  Every couple of weeks I checked back online at Marriott Rewards to see if the reward options available had changed.  About 3 weeks ago the standard reward was available.  I simply called the reservation center and changed my reservation and was credited the point difference.  We leave tomorrow!!

thedean Platinum 1 Reviews

One thing you might try - if you are looking for a 5 night stay, try searching for a 2 night stay followed immediately by a 3 night stay, etc.  If you get your reservation that way, you may not be able to stay in the same room for the whole duration, but you might get lucky when you check in.

Also, calling the rewards reservation line has been of benefit to me before in this situation.

sewandsew Platinum

"Any chance" is a long shot.  If I get the "Stay Anytime" option I keep trying but it rarely goes away for me.  I have never used the Stay Anytime option as my travel usually has many options.

The Stay Anytime option is a sore point with me and other Rewards members.  It sort of gives Elite Members a second class status.  It seem to be getting like the "Rate Buster" program of my frequent flyer program.

We understand the economics of the policy but it is a PR gaff.

makkberger Platinum 1 Reviews

I stayed at the JW Cancun Feb 16th-23rd on points, and like others originally booked using Anytime, but when I checked back later was able to change it to regular points.

One hint on this particular property--you might want to consider upgrading to Club 91 either using 15,000 points a night or paying $70 per adult.  It is a nice club level and they provide 5 separate food serving times as well as unlimited cocktails from 6-10 pm.  The concerige staff within the club are very gracious as well.

trey35 Platinum
    Call the hotel directly or call the platinum line and see if they will work with you.  Puerto Vallarta is another option if you aren't married to cancun

dawnmre Gold
    There is a huge difference between the JW Marriott and the Casa Magna in Cancun.  The JW is definitely a step up and worth waiting for.  The Casa Magna also has the college crowd that can't afford the JW.  Oh and you can't use the facilities at the JW if you are staying at the Casa Magna, except of course charging to your room from the restaurants.  But they will not let you use their pool area.  The JW guests are welcome at the Casa Magna though. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...