14 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2012 3:47 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Congrats Michellel

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My curiosity about facebook got the best of me so I signed up.  First page visited was Marriott Rewards and right on the cover is a picture of our own Marriott Insiders head shed michellel, who has just celebrated 25 years service with Marriott.  Great achievement, michellel.  Congratulations!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Congrats Michellel
    jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Michellel
    Yep Congratulations are certainly in order, a great achievement and a nice reward.

Happy travels

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes, Michelle,

Congratulations are in order!

We hope many more!

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Michellel........(and nuhusker, "old chap"),

As an old-fashioned Brit, I'm not sure that I totally understand "head shed", but these days 25 years in anyone's language ranks as a substantial achievement.

Great stuff,

A

Hi arkwright, old chap...I love that!   Head shed is just a slang term for the one at the top or in charge.  I think I might have picked that up in my military life. 

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Yes, with todays 'job changing' mentality, 25 years at one company is a throwback to days of yore! Congratulations for your 25 years and on your loyalty to the company that you obviously enjoy working for!

"Yes, with todays 'job changing' mentality, 25 years at one company is a throwback to days of yore!"

That's a great point tef.  That makes this accomplishment even more significant and special.

It really does make it more significant and special. I have great admiration for someone who has that amount of service at one company. It shows a tremendous commitment to quality and excellence in my way of looking because they don't walk around with that 'what are you (the company) going to do for me today to keep me from looking elsewhere'........

I used to get a 'kick' out of folks who would bring their resume to a job interview and had 5 different companies listed (2 years each) and they always said they left for a better opportunity, but yet their career was just where it was ten years ago or (actually) worse because there they were looking for the same type of job again with the sixth company ten years later.....

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I also Congratulate Michelle.  Very impressive!  also impressive is that Husker has given Facebook a look-see. 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't begrudge anyone for trying to get ahead by switching companies. In today's world, the problem with "loyalty" cuts both ways. Employers are equally less likely to keep someone around for 25 years as employees wanting to stay for 25 years. It's just a sad reality.

I stayed with my first "real" employer from the age of 21 to 47. It was mutually good for both parties. They trained me, put up with me, let me learn from mistakes, and promoted me many times. I, in turn, worked professionally to achieve targeted goals and develop people year in and year out while representing the company in a positive light. When I decided to leave and move on to the next stage of life...I looked back and noticed there weren't many folks left that were going to stay for 25 years. Things had changed from 1980 to 2006. I'm not sure it's bad change or good change, but it was a bit sad for this lifer.

Congratulations Michelle and Marriott for working together for 25 years.

pained:

Please don't misunderstand my post. I also would never hold anything against anyone who had the opportunity to better their career and themselves. As Pres of the co's I ran, I would actually help a good employee who wanted a better shot and had a chance to do it that I couldn't match. That's just fair...and a way to thank them for their service to the company I ran.

That being said, my earlier post reference was to those employees who have that 'you owe me something for showing up' attitude and when they didn't get it quick enough (in their mind) they moved on. Didn't matter if they were qualified for promotion or betterment, they just wanted it and deserved it (in their mind). So, out and on they go and ten years later they are exactly where they were ten years earlier. I saw it too many times.

On employers not keeping people for 25 years in todays world I agree with you. But, that is very shortsighted on the part of the employer. But, I do know it now happens far too often. They are just trying to cut salaries to better their bonuses or the bottom line for purposes that are insensitive to what business should be about. Every year I ran a company I would better the bene package if we hit our company goal (as set by me). I also instituted profit sharing and 401K's with a good Company match in every co. I took over. Those things keep employees, not lose them.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Tef,

I knew where you were coming from and I do agree with your sentiments. There seemed to be something that happened around the late 1980's. Some, not all, of the  younger generation came out of college with the attitude you reference. I saw it often. In that time, there were plenty of jobs available and some folks weren't looking to be patient with upward mobility. They put in two years, didn't make it to CEO, and moved on.  Work ethic also seemed to be lacking. In at 8:30 out at 4:00 was some sort of expect. The occasional weekends? The occasional nights? "Are you crazy?". That era somewhat ushered out the all for one-one for all workplace and brought in the me generation.  Around that time, large corporations were really getting into cost cutting and "personal accountability". The tides were right for a change in the overall workplace. I, for on, liked the old ways better.  

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Congratulations, and well done, michellel2 !  We're glad you're here and part of us on MI, too!

Marriott Associate Member

Thanks, everybody!  It's been a really exciting career and after all this time, I continue to be stimulated (in no small part due to the Insiders crew too!)...  I love our members and I love our hotels - just hope I have the energy to run with y'all in the coming years.  Cheers!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...