14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:14 AM by NathalieF RSS

Marriot Vacation Package and Suite Question

secgolf Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Support,

Recently I booked a hawaiian vacation through the rewards website.  I wanted a two bedroom suite to accomodate my wife and three children rather than two separate rooms.  Customer support confirmed that such suites were available but the property was not making them available, at that time, to the marriott vacation package.  They suggested that the property may allow me to trade the two rooms (garden view) for the two bedroom suite (ocean view) because the prices were only $90 difference per night.  Customer support called the property and asked if they could accomodate me as a Silver Elite member.  Apparently, the response from the property (customer service "liased" with the property so I had no direct communication) was no trade was possible unless I paid $350 per night to upgrade.  Suffice it to say I was disappointed that I couldn't get the two bed room suite.  Moreover, I was shocked that I was being asked to pay $350 per night more for a suite that was only $90 more than the two garden view rooms in the package.  Customer support apologized for the situation and said I might be able to negotiate directly with the property.  However, they said that the property has total discretion regarding the matter.    

Recognizing that many posts suggest contacting customer support, I thought this follow up question might provide customer support with an opportunity to clarify and hopefully resolve a situation that seems inequitable.

Best regards,  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriot Vacation Package and Suite Question
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

secgolf

wow.  I am shocked that a 2 bedroom ocean-view suite is only $90 more than 2 one bedroom garden view rooms.   I wonder if that was the misunderstanding.  Either way, I'm sure your family will enjoy your Hawiian vacation nonetheless.

safe travels

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

secgolf Gold

Shoeman,

Just to be clear, the property's standard rate was/is $359 per garden view room per night and the ocean view two bedroom suite was/is $821 per night.  Yes, I hope this is simply a misunderstanding that can be rectified by Marriott.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks 

I do have suggestions.

1.  as mentioned earlier by pained platinum, call the ten mgr and speak to him/her.  offer a compromise if needed.  keep the negotiation going.     likely, something positive will happen.

2.  keep on Marriott rewards, they have the power to move mountains and will work with you to achieve your goal.

3.  if all else fails, show up for check-in and plead your case in person.

good luck!  let us know how it plays out.

aloha

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Sec,

Just to clarify a point, this site is client driven with mainly client participation. There is a Community Mgr that is employed by Marriott who chimes in now and then...but he isn't "Support". I'm glad you shared your experience and I'm in total agreement with your point, but wanted to make sure that you don't get disappointed if you fail to get a response from Marriott.

That being said... I would certainly stick with it. Persistence has shown to pay off for many folks on here. Call the hotel, speak to the General Mgr. Call Marriott Rewards again, plead your case to a  new ear. I'm sure that you'll hear from others on this site with good advise, as well. Good luck, my friend, and go get that two bedroom suite!!

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree.  I have booked travel accomodations using points, then have contacted the property manager to upgrade.  Just be polite!

secgolf Gold

Pained,

Your point about the communitymanager not taking an active role in resolving certain member issues on this board seems accurate.  I sent him a direct message quite some time ago and he hasn't responded or acknowledged my message.  In addition, the communitymanager did post a comment to my Hawaiian Room question but hasn't responded to my follow up question which was posted more than a week ago.  If the CM isn't taking responsibility for these issues, it would be reasonable to acknowledge direct message(s) and follow up questions with a referral to the appropriate Marriott unit- e.g., Marriott Rewards Support or Customer Support- rather than ignoring the MR member.  Hopefully, this situation is an aberration.

secgolf 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Sec,

I notice that the Rewards crew seem to monitor and respond, almost immediately, on facebook. You might try the Marriott Rewards facebook site. If you do, let us know your results. Thanks

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings secgolf - I'll be in touch shortly

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Because hotels only offer a couple of different room types for reward redemption, it's difficult to try to compare paid rates and redemption rates for different room types side by side.  A two bedroom suite is most likely a room type that they don't normally offer for redemption, hence the additional cost.  I can't promise that contacting the hotel directly will help your cause, but it certainly can't hurt.

secgolf Gold

Dear Communitymanager,

I apologize for the confusion, to be clear, my marriott vacation package is not a reward redemption- I am paying cash.  Does that fact change your analysis?  I would appreciate any suggestions and help you can provide regarding the situation.

Best regards,

secgolf

It may surprise you, but no it does not change anything.  The fact of the matter is, I have been upgraded to a suite more often when using points than when paying cash.  Same rules, suggestions, apply for both.

good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...