17 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2012 11:38 AM by californian RSS

Where and why did Stepping Stones leave Insiders???

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone know what happened to Stepping Stone and why he left Insiders? I know I am getting more disappointed with the site and considering leaving myself. I am getting tired of all the old posts coming up as well as feeling like our input seems to not be heard by Marriott. The site seems to have deteriorated and participation seems to be waning.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Where and why did Stepping Stones leave Insiders???
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Hey Jasper

I guess you can only post so much minutia.  I have no idea why he left, but I would concur that the site has become boring actually.  You can only discuss an issue so many times before it gets tiring.  Also, the fact that not one thing has ever come of any of our suggestions, reveals a lot about how Marriott feels about the site and it's ability to learn anything from it.  I will =definitely continue to use the site as a resource for specific hotel information, as well as travel tips, but I am weary of all the mindless bantering. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm not the official spokesman for steppingstones, Inc., but I got the impression that he just wanted a break in the action.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NU,

That is also what I thought!  I miss his interesting and classy comments.  He's another one that should at least go into The MI Hall of Fame.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I just noticed that Stepping Stones account has just been moved to 'Disabled". That was quick. So I would guess his departure may be a little more permanent. I find this trend (TJC New York, Pingreeman and now SS) leaving to be troubling. They are folks who made this MRI program go as original shapers of the site. Is this site becoming more irrelevant as these continued (and not for the better) changes happen? Add to the departure of these long time contributors the fact that many other regular contributors (from versions 1 and 2) rarely even post any more.

Will this site even be here a year from now? I find the old post recycling, the same old, same old and the lack of change input by Marriott towards concerns raised by long time customers on this site also troubling. If I look back at Version 1, there was much more that happened to better the MR program from the input everyone gave on the site. Not so today. This comment is not meant to be a reflection on the Community Managers, but a perceived direction sense I have that Marriott, as a company, is changing their game to a different focus.....and not such a good one. Anyway, just my opinion.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Some thoughts.....

1)The amount of time and energy that SS was putting into his participation here was staggering. It seemed more than just a hobby, but like a hobby. Maybe he just tired of the time commitment he was making. Sometimes folks just develop new ways to spend their time.

2) As far as the disabling of your account, that to me is the mystery.  You can decide to cut back without disabling. Feels like a quick divorce.

3) Can a person disable their existing account and start a new account, under a different alias, for the purpose of changing their identity and input status?

If number 3 is doable, that would allow a person, seen as a community leader, to somewhat fade into the background and outside of the spotlight.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Tef,

Post number 2 as a reponse:

The site, in general, attracts people looking for an outlet or information. As long as there are folks that like to share and help others, the site will continue to serve a valuable purpose. I started on here looking for an outlet to broadcast my unhappiness with a "no blackout" policy I felt was disingenuous. I came back a few times and found there were many, many people offering experienced advise on locations and travel tips. That is still the same today. As some folks come on and some folks leave, the idea and value lives on... just my thoughts.

Also, there is the BOGO thread. The last few items posted associated with that thread refer to Flyertalk and Facebook. I haven't been visiting those sites to keep up to date with Marriott minutia, but in todays' society, I'm sure many, many people pay them a visit. In fact, my bet is, that most people find Facebook as the go to source for most things. I'm not saying that is good or bad, just a likely fact.

pained

I think you are on to something!  the younger generations will feel much more at home while on Facebook, and many pure travelers much prefer flyer talk.  ProfChiara as an example. 

As far as the idea that ss would possibly disable one account in order to start another don't seem plausible unless her wants to become a guru under two names.......

Now Jasper can focus on taking over the lead, as I am sure he will.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings Jasper100 and tef6178, Steppingstones has been an Insider for years and like many of you we've gotten to know him personally, so we certainly were disappointed to receive his request to disable his profile. He knows he's welcome back at any time so we hope he'll take us up on the offer. We're still as committed as ever to making the community resourceful for everyone. We've made some strides with the beta property ratings and reviews, and we're looking at a two-phase rollout of an ideation framework so the community will have a clear voice - more to come.

jmring Platinum 5 Reviews

"More to come"....seems like we hear that a lot.  My two cents....here is a "site" where Marriott has the top 5-10% of their customers speaking frankly about how to make things better, offering suggestions, etc. and nothing seems to be happening at the property level.  I for one, while not as prolific as SS, have cut back as well to posting and reading the threads anymore.  What's the point???  Therefore, SS, with the amount that they did on this site, must have been going crazy with the inactivity of Marriott.

superchief1 Platinum

jmring

I agree with your assessment. It seems that the only activity coming from Marriott corporate over the last 2 years has been to take away benefits and 'enforce' not exceding the minimum standards for weekend Platinum benefits. I will greatly miss SS's contributions. Marriott has lost some great ambassadors who always emphasized the positives over the negatives.

I have dramatically cut back on my participation, but naively hold out hope that things will get better both on Insiders and at corporate. Customers usually suffer when financially/ margin driven CEO's take over from customer/employee focused leaders like the Marriott family. I have worked for large corporations who shifted focus to margin enhancement at the expense of customer loyalty. Although profits increased short term, the revenue dropped dramatically over the long term. Marriott has already lost about 25% of my business after over 30 years of loyalty. Their future actions will determine whether my loyalty returns or I move the rest elsewhere.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Everyone - I thought I was missing Steppingstones comments but just thought it was because the new site made it more difficult for me to find the discussions I am really interested in. I think that the most disappointing thing is that he requested that his account be "deactivated" rather than simply not checking in. I agree with the comments being made here as to the possibility reasons for his leaving the site. I hope and pray that there isn't some health issue that contributed to his decision.

While there are quite a few Insiders whose posts I value and look forward to, many of whom have posted to this discussion and some who have not, Steppingstones always had excellent perspectives, coupled with a sense of humor. His posts will be missed.

nhtraveler

nhtraveler

amen to that!  quite possibly, ss took this measure to keep himself from checking in and then getting sucked back in.  he was a prolific poster that likely needed a clean break in order to get his desired affect.  I do not think it is a health issue.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

nhtraveler:

I can assure all that Steppingstones departure is not related to any health issues.

dejamo Platinum

Knowing SS,  I am sure Marriott was informed as to the specific cause/s of his departure.

And those of us MRI PP/P veterans likely understand why.

All you have to do is read the posts.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I was on last night and noticed that SS was no longer.  I will miss his comments.  I too find the deaf ear of Marriott frustrating.  I have not been active for that long.  Early on, I mostly read the comments but got sucked into the CL weekends posts and thought with the interest, Marriott would respond.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...