5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2016 2:52 AM by kharada46 RSS

Platinum member experience in Tokyo Japan (Courtyard Ginza)

mrkumar Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am very keen to hear other platinum members perspectives on their stay at Courtyard Marriot at Ginza, Tokyo. The hotel is fantastic on most fronts - location, courtsey, professional staff, food quality etc etc But after staying at so many marriotts around the world..I think platinum member experience at this hotel possibly can improve.. and wanted to check with other platinum experience who have stayed here..

Specifically -  following is my experience for 2 stays of 7 days each

a.    Usually no complementary upgrades of rooms ( Higher floors, premum rooms)  I got the room at 5th floor which is the lowest level floor at this hotel of 11 floors. While i undersatand that they are subject to availablity - i was prompted to ask this question because I met a couple at this hotel over the breakfast who checked in same day and they were excited to get an upgrade even though they were holiday visitors to Tokyo.

b.    This hotel charges extra for breakfast even though usually Platinum members get this complementary

c.    This hotel charges extra for internet even though usually platinum members get this complementary

Thanks - mrkumar

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Japan
Ginza, Tokyo
  • Re: Platinum member experience in Tokyo Japan (Courtyard Ginza)
    joe.isenberg Member 2 Reviews

They must not appreciate your choice of staying with them or expect repeat business from their customers. What is a hotel without free wifi anymore? Even 1 star hotels are offering complimentary wifi these days!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pk Platinum 1 Reviews

Thanks Mr. Kumar for asking this question.  I am a Marriott Platinum and have stayed here I think 3 times in past few years and will be there again next week. My experience has similar to yours.  Staff is friendly and courteous.  However, I am not charged extra for internet in room. 

It is very disappointing that they do not have a Concierge Lounge and do not offer ANYTHING of note for platinum members.   They do not offer complimentary breakfast in their restaurant as a substitute. 

They only offer a free drink coupon and a minimal discount on food in restaurant.  Their offerings for Platinum members I feel are very substandard compared to other locations. 

I realize this is the Courtyard and their program differs from full service Marriott or even Springhill Suites or Residence Inn.  However, I have stayed in other Courtyards that go beyond the typical Courtyard program which is appreciated. 

Let me offer an example for comparison, of another Courtyard that is fabulous.  The Marriott Times Square in Seoul Korea.   They have a wonderful concierge lounge that is well staffed, open most all the time including weekend days, it is well run with friendly and English speaking staff and food is good.  As a platinum member, there are two options for breakfast-the concierge lounge or the actual buffet in their main restaurant which normally costs around $ 30. USD. and they provide at no charge for platinum members.  I wish the Courtyard Ginza could follow this example or at least try harder, as it seems they do not try at all to make any effort for Platinum members. 

Thanks very much.

stlram Platinum 15 Reviews

Mr. Kumar, my wife and I stayed at the Courtyard in Ginza two and a half years ago. I am a Lifetime Platinum Marriott member. At that time they did not have a concierge lounge but had somewhat larger rooms on the top floor of two floors of the hotel which were considered premium rooms. They did not offer complimentary breakfast nor free internet connectivity. We too, were offered one complimentary drink coupon in spite of the fact that our stay was for seven days.

Unlike Seoul, the Courtyard near the airport in Rome was similar to Ginza in that they offered no amenities. Not even a shuttle to and from the airport! Hence abroad, only the brand name is consistent.

Location Brand Hotel
    Ginza, Tokyo
      thomasre Platinum 2 Reviews

I just completed a stay at the new JW Marriott in Tokyo which is about 10-15 minutes from the courtyard.

Just spent four days at the new JW Marriott just outside downtown Tokyo, Japan. This hotel is  listed as a Category 7.

There is good news and bad news.

First the good news.

1. Great location even if it is outside of downtown location. It is less than fifteen minute walk or one can take to hotel shuttle to the Shinagawa train station that allows one to easily catch a train to far away cities like Kyoto or Hiroshima, or a quick trip to downtown Tokyo. One can also catch a taxi to the fish market or downtown but will set you back close to $60 round trip. Getting there from the Narita airport by bus will take a good two hours depending on how bad traffic is.
      2. The Hotel is new and still has the new smell. I stayed in an Executive room that had a great view of the outer city and water way. Nice to have two sets of outlets by the bed along with room light control. Bathroom was nice size.
      3. Excellent staff in all areas of hotel service.

Now the bad news.

1. As I stated above the room was nice. But there was no bottled water; only one phone placed walking distance from the bed.
      2. The Executive Lodge is nice but too small. If one is expecting to have a typical JW Marriott spread (Just returned from Seoul, South Korea where there was plenty of food) for breakfast and pre dinner, be prepared for a shock. What is served in the evening is bite sides portions of various typical Japanese food that is set out in small portions. Now I was there in late December and there were few people in the lodge when I would visit so it was not a problem for me because I could quickly go back for more. However, when peck tourist season comes in 2015 there is no way the lodge will be able to handle a hungry crowd with kids.

In fact, I did overhear a parent with his wife and two small kids state “there is no food here” during the evening. So be prepared to go out for dinner.  Or you can eat in the front restaurant at the going rates. Another option is to go to the train station for a good meal or the Family Mark (like a 7-11) below via the escalator.

There is a refrigerator in the lodge where milk and juice is kept, and makes one feel like they are in their home kitchen. These items should be on ice on the counter for people to see or have a clear refrigerator door so one can find these items. No bottled water in site but one can find it boxed up in the bottom shelf to the right of the refrigerator but the water is warm (this will be a problem during the hot summer months). No knives or napkins unless you asked, but you can find them in the upper draw next to the corner table. 

Breakfast is ok. One can order an omelet or egg dish. Again, how will they handle a summer crowd when some portions have to be removed from small pots with tops for removal? 

3. One has to pay 2100 yen (about 20 dollars) to use the detached gym. Every Marriott that I stayed at with an attached or detached gym had free entry for the hotel guess.

In summary, there is a Courtyard in downtown Tokyo but I have never stayed there but will skip based on member reviews. Very few international Courtyards have a lodge (Bahrain is very good). I will not be surprised if there are other negative comments about the hotel. Hopefully the hotel will take the comments as a positive way to improve on the great staff and service it provides.

This hotel is not yet listed under Hotel Review section but will add my comments once it is added.

RPT Platinum

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for the info mrkumar!  I've always wondered about this property.  Not getting an upgrade is a bummer and while internet access is advertised as being free at Courtyards, this benefit only applies to North & Central America and is not guaranteed abroad.  I find that to be pretty disappointing, especially since it's something you're supposed to get for free anyhow by virtue of your status.

As for the breakfast, Courtyards as a whole do not have concierge lounges and are not required by Marriott to offer complimentary breakfast to elites.  While some properties may do so abroad, Marriott frowns upon this practice, and it's not something you'll see at all in the US.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...