24 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2012 8:14 PM by vaboywnder RSS

"Hooray" for Hollywood!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Someone recently asked for your favorite place to visit in California.  There are many, many great places to visit in California, but Hollywood is the choice of many.  The Renaissance in Hollywood is a very nice property and the room rates seem to fluctuate wildly, depending on events in the area.  The wonderful Kodak Theater is close by, as is The Magic Castle, Mel's Diner, and Hollywood High.

Wish I had more pictures, but did not have a digital camera then so I welcome others to contribute comments and pictures, as they wish.

PTDC0038.JPG

Not a great picture, and I don't know if Wolfgang Puck's place is still there!

PTDC0037.JPG

If you have just one meal, The Avalon Hotel, (I sometimes stay just down the street at the RI), this is a wonderful place to dine and priced very fairly.  The poolside dining and the cabana's you see to the left are a wonderful place to relax with loved ones or business associates.

You may run into a few stars while on your visit, I was lucky enough to meet Gene Hackman, who was filming a movie I never say "Hoosiers", but was a friendly guy.  He thanked me for saying Hello!

Scan10001.JPG

There were many very nice places to dine and many very reasonably prices places to dine as well.  Some of the best I encountered and enjoyed were Mr. Chao's, Spago, Morton's, Magic Castly and Mel's Diner was great and not expensive

Don't forget to take your camera!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hollywood, California, USA Renaissance Hotels Omaha Marriott
Hollywood, California, USA
  • Re: "Hooray" for Hollywood!
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

The Hollywood area is one of my favorite spots in CA as well.  The Renaissance is a good spot if you want to be right in the middle of the action.  Another cheaper/quieter option nearby is the Courtyard in Burbank.  It's only 10 minutes from downtown Hollywood.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for the information on The Courtyard in Burbank.  Really enjoy the Burbank area as well.  Thanks for the information vaboywnder!

Very Welcome Jerry!  I'll be out there in July for a Pre Comic-Con trip!

Have a wonderful time and send some photo's and another post, if you can!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Thanks for posting this, Jerry.  I appreciate hearing about all of the good places to dine and things to do.  I've driven through there (Sunset and Hollywood boulevards), and dined there once - we bought a car from a minor director - the house, actually mansion that we went to was just amazing.  Gated, and I think the soft and hardscape alone was worth about 5 times as much as my house.  I don't think the guy owned it (maybe he did, I don't know what his story was, except he was from France, had a French accent and kept interjecting French words into the conversation), anyway, that's where we met him and transacted the sale.  Then we dined at this really splendid restaurant, and I wish I could remember the name!  Anyway, it's beautiful down there.

I thought it was just me that could not remember names of places I have been.  That's why I have to take pictures!

Pluto, I hope we can get some more comments or pictures.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jerry:

Hollywood, ah yes......you are so right about not knowing who, or where, you may run into someone! I can remember not once, but twice eating at Wolfgang Puck restaurants (Spago and Chinois) and asking for a dish to be made the 'Austrian' way as Wolfgang would make it (just joking!). Both times, Wolfgang Puck brought the meal to the table to tell me he had made it himself because of my 'request'! Also had the good fortune of eating at a table next to Barbara Eden (I Dream of Jeannie), a very classy lady who enjoyed small talk, and another time next to Tom Smothers (had such a good time joking with him and he invited us to his show in Cohasset, MA the following summer after he found we lived close to where he was performing).

The Magic Castle is a real treat! If you can find a magician to get you in don't miss it!

I agree...Hooray for Hollywood!

Tef,

Wonderful stories and thanks for sharing this with us!

Most of these situations are really "Unexpected" and really memorable.  These "Stars", seem to really enjoy just chatting with real people about normal things.  They also chose to be at the same place you are so they are comfortable with their surroundings.

I have a magician buddy in LA and have taken a lot of people to the Magic Castle.  If you ever need to go, let me know.

PTDC0026.JPG

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I do really believe that they do like chatting with real folks and not those who act 'star struck'! My entree to the Magic Castle doesn't live there any more so I might take you up on that offer!!

Tef,

Just let me know!

I would love to join you, but that probably will not happen, but I could arrange it from my magician pal in LA.

I just noticed this on  Marriott's website regarding the Renaissance in Hollywood  "As of June 16, 2012 this hotel will no longer be a part of the Renaissance Brand". I didn't see any more info about the change.  I wonder if the hotel is loosing it's Marriott affliation.

Yes, I have heard the same thing!

This is not good news, this was a great Marriott property.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Wow.  I too enjoyed this property!  sad news.

shoeman,

If you hear what this property will become, please let us know.  This is my second favorite hotel to be lost from The Marriott group.  (The first was the wonderful Renaissance in Garmisch, Germany)

I definitely will.

It appears that the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel will be joining the Loews Hotel group.  A frequent guest of the hotel posted this letter online:

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa for your repeat stays in Hollywood. On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to express my gratitude and appreciation for your loyalty as an Elite member and for making the Renaissance Hollywood your home away from home. Recently, the owner of the Renaissance Hollywood hotel has sold the property to Loews Hotels. The 632-room Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa will cease to operate under a Marriott International management agreement effective on or around June 16, 2012. From that date, the property will be operated by Loews Hotels. The parties involved will work together to ensure a seamless transition. For those guests checking in on or after this date, you will receive a folio from Loews hotels. 

This transaction is specific to the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel. Renaissance Hotels, a lifestyle brand within the Marriott International, Inc. portfolio of brands, remains committed to Los Angeles as a desirable destination for business and leisure. Renaissance Hotels continues to operate three more hotels in the Los Angeles/Orange County area – the Renaissance Long Beach Hotel, Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel and the Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo.

During the 10+ years that we have managed the hotel, the property helped provide memorable experiences for travelers from around the world during their visit to Hollywood. We are proud to be a part of the hotel's history and we wish the Loews Hotels organization much success with this exceptional property. If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to contact myself or the manager on duty. Thank you in advance for your understanding and patience.

Sincerely,

Frederick J. Perez
    Senior Operations Manager, Rooms

vaboywnder

thanks for the update.  This is ok for me in that I like Loews.

Shoeman,

I have never stayed at a Lowes, so if you stay there please let us know how it is!  This is a sorry loss to me for Marriott, this was a wonderful property.  Will plan to stay at the RI not far from this location.

Jerry

Have you ever stayed at the RI in Beverly Hills?

Shoeman,

Yes, it was very nice.  I got a two BR suite that was really a classy room.  It was in a good location and I walked to one of my favorite places to dine in Hollywood.  The Avalon Hotel is just up the street and is a lovely place to dine next to the pool.  Their prices are reasonable, and it is very comfortable.  Here's a picture!

PTDC0037.JPG

Location Brand Hotel
            Hollywood, California, USA

Jerry & Shoeman,

You guys should also keep the Burbank Courtyard in mind as a Marriott alternative.  It is an excellent hotel and is the same distance from Hollywood/Highland as the Residence Inn.  The Burbank Courtyard also has Free Parking which is almost unheard of in that area.

Scott

vaboywnder,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Not familiar with this CY, but with the loss of the Ren. in Hollywood, I will have to find a new place.  I really like Burbank and once had the pleasure to be in the audience of "Wheel of Fortune" and The Jay Leno Show.  It was a great time!

jerry

you really get around.......  nice!

That's awesome Jerry!  I've been to tapings of  The Price is Right before Bob Barker retired and also Jimmy Kimmel & Craig Ferguson.  The Hollywood studios are always a lot of fun to take in.

I think you would really like the Burbank Courtyard, so many good restaurants in that area.  On one side of the hotel you get Mountain views and the other side you have views of the Courtyard with Palm trees.  Another side note that might be of interest...Jet Blue at the Burbank airport offers direct flights to Vegas for $40-$45 one way and the Burbank airport is such a breeze to fly out of especially in comparison to LAX.  When I'm out that way I sometimes sneak in an extra night or two to hit the Vegas spots.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...