5 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2012 10:35 PM by tef6178 RSS

Tucson Marriott University- Terrible service

glaker Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Wondering if this was an isolated incident or how the property is being managed as a whole?

Stayed 2 paid nights as a platinum member . Was offered choice of Platinum arrival gift or points. Told I would be on the Concierge level as a Platinum member. Wow, I thought. I asked what does that mean, bigger room, free breakfast? He said "nothing". and went on to explain they usually have the Concierge lounge open, but not during my stay. I called a few days ahead and asked for a small fridge to be put in the room which they stated was no problem. Upon check-in he stated it was already in the room. I would estimate 85% of the rooms on this level, which btw is floor 9, have balconies. Mine did not. No fridge was in room so I called down to ask if it had been delivered to the wrong room. She stated I was too late, they were all spoken for. So far not a big deal, just a bit irritated since 5 minutes earlier was told its in the room... The room next to us was a very very loud room full of young adults. Called down again and explained the situation and asked if there was possibly another room. "NO" we are sold out, was snapped back at me and now I'm a bit more miffed. Around 4:30 am I was awakened to the sound of a fight in the hall outside the loud room next door. Yes security was called up and this exchange lasted for about 10 to 15 minutes .Alcohol was involved and more than likely chilled by my requested fridge. (haha)  I settled back in for the rest of morning. On the way to breakfast, I stopped by the front desk to ask again about a room change because of the loud guest. She said it happens all the time. News to me. I'm not at motel 6 or Holiday Inn express. This is a Marriott.....where according to her, it happens all the time and i get treated like a jerk for even asking for another room and I guess the expectation of a good nights sleep is a thing of the past.....just like good service.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tucson, Arizona, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Central
  • Re: Tucson Marriott University- Terrible service
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

If this was my experience at any Marriott brand hotel, I'd email my complaint to customer.care@marriott.com.  Specify the hotel location and your confirmation number.  Tell them what a miserable stay this was and you'll likely get some satisfaction, especially since you addressed the issue with hotel staff while staying there.  May or may not get reimbursed for the cost of the room, but at least a few thousand points for the trouble.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

glaker, Thanks for posting.

It sounds like not one, but both associates gave you zero customer service.  Your treatment as a guest in general, let alone a Platinum guest was quite deplorable, and I see it as a local management problem.  That should NEVER have happened.  That is not hospitality in the slightest.  I didn't read one word of apology by them in your post.  Even if there was a screw up with the fridge (not excusing it, just stating the fact that mistakes happen) and even if they truly could not have relocated you, good customer service would have dictated that they would have addressed the issue with you in a professional and courteous fashion that would have at least implied to you that they truly cared about the quality of your stay.  Even a sentence predicated and ending with "I'm very sorry ma'am to have to inform you that...the fridge blah blah blah, as you are a valued guest with us.  If there's any other way we can improve upon your stay, please don't hesitate to let us know."  would have probably placated me.  How difficult is it to express to a customer words of kindness and concern even if physical requests cannot be met?  Or how about a free coke or bottle of water?  I would contact Marriott and complain.  I would also contact the GM or at least the Front Desk manager.

We were in a Courtyard recently, and stayed on points no less.  At the time of check-in, around 3pm, my husband really wanted some carbonated water, but there wasn't any at the Marketplace in the hotel.  There was carbonated water for sale at the new hotel Bistro, but the Bistro wasn't open yet.  The front desk manager asked me what I was looking for and I told him.  He walked over to the Bistro, saw that there was carbonated water in the fridge there, grabbed one and brought it to me.  I said something like 'Oh, here let me pay you for it,' and he waved me off and said, 'Don't worry about it.'  I told him thank you and went on my way.  Why this is so easy for some employees and not others is difficult to understand.  Also, when we arrived, we received a warm welcome, our 'gold' status was recognized (I know, whoopdedo, but the fact that they bothered to mention it really says a lot about this front desk team) and they even went so far as to mention that our room preferences (from the website) had been noted and attended to.  Wow.  What a difference between night and day in comparing the service I received and the service you received.  The thing is, it's so easy to replicate and ensure that it's rendered 100% of the time everywhere!  It really makes one wonder why it isn't so!

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

I definitely agree with Pluto77 (was surprised you are a woman), you should contact the hotel.  Actually, we were thinking of staying at that exact same hotel in the future.  Will be anxious to hear about your response . . .

This is off the subject, but . . . how do you become a "lifetime platinum" member?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Quite frankly, it looks to me like this hotel needs a new staff and management. Period.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...