47 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 5:58 AM by nacho Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Question about room upgrade policy

sweet1231 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

deleted - bad info

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: BOGO offers
    Marriott Associate Member

Hey Sweet New Years Eve!  We have not changed the T&Cs in any way - they've always said this.  However, properties can upgrade to whatever premium room they wish - including suites - and they regularly do.  It is a function of their availability and sell strategy (in other words, if they predict they will be able to sell premium rooms at a premium rate, they may hold a few out for last minute upsell opportunities).

Us regular people are running things - as usual.  I promise to own up to anything we change - but this isn't one of 'em...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sweet1231 Gold

Thanks for the quick reply Michelle. My apologies if my information is incorrect and I'll edit my post so there's less bad information out there. There's plenty to not like about Marriott right now, I don't need/want to add to it. Hopefully you'll win me back with some crazy new benefits in the near future.

Thanks - we really appreciate that.  And, I've commented again on the Facebook post that sounds remarkably familiar - feel free to add your comments there as well if you deem it appropriate.

sweet1231 Gold

Just to be clear, you're saying that the "next room category" language has always been there, right? I know MR long ago specifically took suite upgrades off the table, but I don't remember when the "next room category" language was added. 

I have had oversight of the Elite Recognition program for over (4) years, and during my tenure, we have not changed the room upgrade benefit at all. As to the specific language - that's a little trickier, because it depends on where you have been looking.  Many, many, many months ago, we performed an audit of all our communication and noticed that we were not consistently describing our benefits across our digital and print channels, so some text was amended in order to keep the language similar.  Specifically on our Marriott.com pages; as a result of the audit, the Terms & Conditions were NOT changed, however some copy was amended on the Gold/Platinum benefit pages.  So, it's just not a yes/no question (nothing is easy anymore, sadly...).  Again - I promise you that the benefit has NEVER changed.  That said, we ARE looking at changing the language right now - which is so serendipitous that you've made these posts - because we think our description of the benefit needs to be more clear in terms of stating that you COULD be eligible for the highest available room level, including suites.  We want to make this change because it more accurately reflects the reality that our properties currently schedule upgrades of their best available rooms on arrival day for our Platinum Premier, Platinum and Gold members.  Suggested verbiage has been vetted and we're in the process of crafting new copy now. 

ohmark Platinum

Dear Michelle

I have been a Marriott elite (from Detroit) and loyal Marriott customer for many years.  I want to assure you that this latest iteration of language as to the upgrade benefit is a substantial change from the previous language, which never contained an explicit limit to the category of upgrade other than it excluded suites.  (And even that limitation is relatively recent as the language for years had just read "to the finest available accomodation."  There was no explicit exception for suites)  Now, I probably have not read every digital and print channel that contained a description of the upgrade.  But I sure have read the ones that most of Marriott's most loyal customers have read, and the new language is a substantial change.  Please understand, I like Marriott and am a loyal customer.  I have no reason to mislead you.  Yet when it's posted by Marriott representatives both here and on Facebook that the new language is unchanged, I feel insulted; like I'm not supposed to notice.

Maybe what you saying in your posts above is that Marriott's description of the benefit was always grander than the benefit itself?  In other words, maybe we were told it was to the "finest available accomodations," but hotels were told just one level of upgrade was all that was necessary?

Anyway, thanks for communicating.

Mark, I'm the same person (and a proud Detroit native, I might add) who is carrying on simultaneous conversations with you both here and on Facebook.  I've been completely truthful as to the benefit, what properties do, what the program has done (and what we hope to do).  I am a long-tenured Marriott associate, own the responsibility for our Elite Recognition team and cannot think of anything else to say that will convince you that I'm speaking honestly.  No hoodwinking, no young impressionable employee, no green-cheese-moon making hyperbole - just an accurate account of what we've been up to...

erc Platinum

Eye opener time for erc !  I was observing how quickly and extensively you were responding to each aspect of the issue regarding terms language and thought it somewhat unusual for our normal Insiders dialogue. Then on your last post a mention of Facebook was made, so I jumped over there (for my foray into Marriott Int'l), holy cow!

That's where the action is, and it makes Insiders look like reading a book on a summer day on a porch swing.  It makes sense to monitor and manage the much broader audience on Facebook as promptly as you do. I'm no brown noser (as my waggish posts would indicate), but boy, I have a new sense of the demands the community managers tackle. Like Razorback says, delicate or not (and you're one tough cookie), we shouldn't be too rough on the community managers, they're fighting the good fight. Go man, go.

Aw shucks - thanks!  I am not the community manager for either, but, as I have stated, I'm "the Man" so get the fabulous honor of taking the tough cases.  Andy manages the day-to-day activities on Insiders, and there is a small army of peeps who manage our Facebook page.  Social media is an interesting beast - one day over cocktails we can have a spirited discussion on the psychology of posters (and the people who have taken this stuff on as a career choice).  Ha!

ohmark Platinum

Michelle, thanks again for your response.  But, I'm not clear that we have an understanding as to what each of us means.  I am saying, with absolute certainty, that until the recent change, the language of the upgrade benefit, as it appears on the Marriott Rewards website, contained absolutely no wording as to the upgrade being limited to the next step up (other than the suite exclusion language).  So,

1.  Are you disagreeing with this?  I hope not.

2.  Are you agreeing that the language as it appeared on the Marriott Rewards website (or on marriott.com) has now been changed to explicitly limit upgrades to one step?

3.  Are you saying that the language on the website has changed, but the reality of the upgrade policy has remained the same; that is that while the website never hinted that upgrades were limited to one step, the reality was that they were?

Thanks!

captainkidd Platinum

You stated  "I have had oversight of the Elite Recognition program for over (4) years, and during my tenure, we have not changed the room upgrade benefit at all."

Here is what is currently on your website about room upgrades:

Rewards Terms & Conditions

Free Room Upgrade: Suites not included; based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. For Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, upgrades from studio rooms to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

Free Room Upgrade: Club Level and Suites not included. Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom.

Where does it say anything about "best available guest room in the NEXT ROOM CATEGORY level?

I respect the Marriott Corporations right to make any changes they want, but this is NOT the way to do it.

Marriott has alienated many of it's best customers.

ohmark Platinum

You quoted the old language that is being changed (but probably hasn't been yet in all places.)  Here is the new language:

"For Platinum (gold) Elite members, the best way is up! So every time you check in,

we'll do our best to upgrade you - at no additional charge - to our

best-available guest room in the next room category level. Suites are excluded.

Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."  This is the language Michelle says is unchanged.

Here is the link:  Marriott Platinum Reward Status | Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

Yes, Captain - that's what is says and that's what it has always said - no changes were made.  To the T&Cs or the benefit.

Mark -

1)  If you are defining 'recent' as in the last 90-120-?? days, then I'm stating that there have been no changes.  Changes were made SEVERAL months ago, not recently.

2)  Marriott Rewards maintains over 500 pages on Marriott.com.  In some cases, copy was changed to mirror the other instances.  In other cases, copy was not changed. So your experience is dependent upon where you are looking - and I am not inclined to parse each page to accommodate this dialogue. What I CAN tell you is that the benefit has not changed one iota.  And I can tell you that the Terms & Conditions have not changed.  And I can tell you that no 'edict', 'suggestion' or any other command has been sent to properties WHATSOEVER.

3)  In some cases, the copy may have been amended as it was confusing to the members.  The benefit has not changed.  Properties provide the best upgrade available at time of arrival - they may hold some premium rooms aside if they predict that they will be able to upgrade guests at a premium rate.  Nothing has changed.

ohmark Platinum

It would be nice to fix this for everyone's  benefit.  From your last post, you say that the terms and conditions of the upgrade benefit haven't changed.  Here are the T&C's from the Marriott website:

"Free Room Upgrade: Suites not included; based on room availability at check-in

and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. For Residence Inn and TownePlace

Suites, upgrades from studio rooms to 1- or 2-bedrooms are not guaranteed. Not

available at Marriott Vacation Club."  Marriott Rewards® Terms and Conditions    My observation as to this language is that at some point the "finest available accomodations" language was removed.  But I also note there is no language limiting upgrades to the next category level.

But then there's this seemingly contrary language elsewhere on the Marriott website:

"For Platinum Elite members, the best way is up! So every time you check in,

we'll do our best to upgrade you - at no additional charge - to our

best-available guest room in the next room category level. Suites are excluded.

Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."  Marriott Platinum Reward Status | Marriott Platinum Elite Benefits

So, if the T&C's don't limit upgrades to the next room category, which they don't, then why does this language of "next room category level" appear to have been added to the description?  And since it doesn't apply, as demonstrated by its absence from the T& C's, then why not eliminate the language?

We are working on a change to the language now that will more accurately reflect the T&Cs.  When it gets posted, I'll let you know.

ohmark Platinum

Great!  Looking forward to seeing it.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

On a positive note.... just got back from the Doral spa and golf resort.  On an award stay they upgraded me from the standard room to a gorgeous suite.

Without asking I was upgraded from a standard room resort view to a suite in the spa wing.  Suite had his & her baths, large living area with a dining table, wet bar and a large balcony overlooking the golf course.  Oh yeah, and it was ready when we arrived at 11 am. (which I had noted on my reservation).  At check-in the front desk also pointed out the extra amenities I was entitled to as a Plat such as comp spa facility access, comp instructor led fitness classes --- and during my stay the gift shop employee reminded me at check out that I was entitled to a 10% discount on those purchases.

Staff throughout the facility was amazing... always helpful, always asking how they can improve your experience.  Housekeeping was great -- evening turndown service without asking,   Breakfast one day and 1000 points was my arrival gift.... okay, not every day breakfast nor for my whole party, but something and usable on the weekend.

Pretty darn good Cat 4 experience!  Sure May isn't high season in Miami, but the hotel was busy with several large international conferences.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

WOW!  I have got to get to Doral!!!

thanks for the review

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

allyson -- we stayed, and were upgraded to a very nice suite overlooking the 18th green at Doral about 5 years ago.  It was a fairly comfortable stay and the golf was great, but I'm the rooms were kind of tired and outdated.  I'm wonderting if they've been ugraded recently, if you know.  Glad all went well for you.

Sign in lobby says Donald Trump bought the property and a major upgrade to begin next month.

Rooms were a little dated but since the Pritikin Center moved to Doral perhaps the spa rooms were given minor updates at that time?

You could tell some areas were more recently updated... Bossa Nova lounge was very modern, Fitness Center had new equipment, but yes the rooms need refresh.  The indoor pool had a sign indicating it would close next week for remodeling, and you could see evidence of recent repair/paint work around the property during the week.  Suspect more work will occur over the summer as this is a slower tourist season for south Florida.

fhllast4ever Platinum

You must be somebody special.  My experience at Doral was blah ---and that is an understatement.  My room was

at the very back of the property, long walk to the front entrance as one cannot unload there (it was blocked permanently),

the hallways were creepy - -no bright carpets, dim lighting, dirty walls--room was moldy.  The lobby was very bare ---no

floweres, no paintings, no decorations.  The whole building was ghostly!

• Re: Question about room upgrade policy
    sweet1231 Gold

It seems that other folks are picking up on this upgrade issue and they don't appear to be ma and pa kettle type travelers Is Marriott Devaluing Their Elite Upgrade Benefits Even More? - View from the Wing

Like I've said, there's plenty to like and hate about MR lately, but I think I need to know if I'm dealing with a company that values my business or not. If MR is not willing to be up front about this, I have an issue with that.

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews

When is Marriott going to come to the mark and start allowing the use of points for suite upgrades?  I know Hilton is actively advertising that they allow the use of points for just that.  More often than not when you use points to book a room you get a horrible view and nothing impressive for a room?  I know this has been a constant subject brought up in these forums, but it rearely gets any comments from Marriott anymore.  It's almost like they think if they ignore the issue it will go away?

Hello!  You can use points for upgrades - 1,000 points per category at participating hotels.  BTW, you can also use cash.

fhllast4ever Platinum

Michelle, on a different topic  (in line with the title of this post) ---this is May now.  Any update on the BOGO?

Nothing yet, but something's coming!  Can't talk about it or tell you when...

jroes006 Platinum 2 Reviews

Michelle is there a list of hotels and or resorts that allow you to use points and or $$$ for upgrades?  I haven't had much luck when it comes to using points or $$$ for upgrades at resorts.  Other than once or twice a year when I am with my family on a vacation I don't really care whether I get upgraded or not.

There is no published list so the best thing to do is have the res agents assist.  We're working on getting this changed up a bit too.  Busy hands... 

mrrich Platinum

I must admit that I'm also confused.  The T&C's only describe the restrictions on the benefit, not the benefit itself.  The only place the benefit is described is on the overview page, which I think we agree has changed (I'm hoping we're not going down the "I said recently, I don't consider 90 days to be recent" path).

If a rule says "You get X", and the T&C says "limit 2".  And the rule is changed to "You get X, but only on Tuesdays between 2am and 3am" and the T&C still says "limit 2", it's pretty disingenuous to say "Our T&C's haven't changed".

On the surface that appears to be what's going on here.  Please correct me where I'm mistaken.

Greetings, Everyone!  So happy to report that we have made changes to both our marketing copy and Terms & Conditions to more accurately reflect the existing upgrade benefit on property.  Just to reiterate - the benefit was never changed - but we did shoot ourselves in the foot by not being totally clear in our language.    It will take upward of 4 weeks to change the language across all of the touch points, so your patience is greatly appreciated.  With your help, we believe we've rectified the former confusion. Thanks for making us better.  STANDING OVATION FOR OUR INSIDERS COMMUNITY! 

Marketing Copy:

For Platinum and Gold Elite members the best way is up! So every time you check in, we'll do our best to upgrade you to a premium room - at no additional charge – for your entire stay.  Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.  See terms and conditions for details.

Terms and Conditions:

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suitesAll upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

This won't satisfy some people, but I'm clear on what my expectation at check in should be.  Thanks for clarifying.

westof30 Platinum

Terms and Conditions:

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club.

The above is as good as saying free beer the second Tuesday of every week.  The carrots there we just never have to offer it up...  As a PP member I cannot remember the last time I was upgraded. Staying at Marriott's in the three digit range for 2012.

I've receive upgrades frequently -- even to Suites on award redemptions. (typically on stays of 3 nights or less) 

Most upgrades though are to CL, higher floor, better view. 

rmiii Platinum

It has been 10 months (more than enough time for all channels to update) since you posted this clarification to the upgrade policy however the benefit is still listed on marriott.com as being

"¶¶¶ Room Upgrade: At no additional charge, we’ll do our best to upgrade you to our best-available guest room in the next room category level. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club. "

This appears under Marriott Rewards>Discover Benefits>Membership Benefits under Room Upgrade

The reason this came up is that I had a property cite the next room category language.

Ugh.  Can you please tell me which property it was?

ohmark Platinum

Thanks  for pointing this out.  Michelle, it is truly shocking to me that this language is still there.  After your earlier assurances, how is this possible?  No wonder elites  and even Marriott property managers are confused. 

Yep - it's embarrassing.  Here's how it's possible:  we maintain over 500 pages on Marriott.com and we just seemed to have missed the pages that were right under our noses.  Beginning Monday, my team will begin an audit of every place we know these words to exist and make sure they've been changed.  We also have already audited the training modules and our associate intranet sites - which are all correct - but apparently either the behavior isn't changing.  We're on it.

Ohmark, could you please tell me which hotel you were at that when this occurred?  No one will get in trouble - we just need a 'use case' to understand where breakdowns might be occurring.  Thanks.

ohmark Platinum

THanks for the response, Michelle.  I think rmiii is the person who described his/her experience.  I hope he/she answers your question.

nacho Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi Michelle,

There are several German properties using the 'strictly one category' policy and Courtyard Berlin gave me an accessible room as an upgrade , that room smells of sewage.

Here are the ones who only give elites 1 cat. upgrade: The ren in Hamburg, CY Bremen, CY Hamburg. Heidelberg Marriott gave me no upgrade even though I have booked an executive room!

I don't even bother argue with them at check-in since it's more the managements' problem, and I really don't want to waste my time on a lost battle.

I'll leave the legalese to the lawyers, but will say that my last two stays have been at the jw Marriott (LA LIVE) and the Renaissance Hotel 57 NYC.  I was upgraded to junior suites both stays.  Thank you Marriott!

Both LA Live and 57 are so funky/cool - I love it when I get to stay there (even without an upgrade!).  Glad you're enjoying your stays, shoe...

.   By the way, an additional pleasant surprise was a cheese, bread, and wine tray with a note from the gm welcoming me back and recognizing my upcoming  birthday.  nice touch!  totally unexpected.

It's so nice to hear that something works right every now and then.  You're on a lucky streak, Shoeman!

way to go shoeman!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, Shoeman! Sounds like things in Marriotville are on the upswing! Congrats!...and Happy Birthday!

Maybe I'll catch some of that Marriott upgrade magic when I check in this Sunday at the Marriott Biscayne Bay in Miami!

I just got an email notification from the FFI in Ankeny, IA that I'm upgraded into a two room suite tonight.

sweet.  I too got lucky this week.  checked into the Stamford, Ct Marriott Hotel and Spa.  Was told I was on the Concierge Floor (16) and in a Junior Suite.  I will end the way I began, sweet!