5 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 1:51 PM by rlauchard RSS

Earning points while earning Miles

rlauchard Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have been a loyal Marriott Rewards member since I was 21 (now 36). I have accumulated hundreds of thousands of points and have been very happy with the program and the hotels (for the most part) throughout the years. This year (and 1/2 of last year) has been very challenging for me...which strikes me as odd since it is since I've moved to Platinum Elite.

The topic of this post is the lack of direct, and clear communication between the Marriott brands of hotels and the Marriott Rewards teams.

As a platinum elite, I get a choice of points or a check-in gift when I arrive at the hotels. I choose points regularly. It turns out, that if you choose to earn miles, you do not get those points. I would be fine with this explanation if it was clear and consistent depending on who at Marriott I talk to, however, here is my experience:

- Check in at location and get offered gift or points...I tell them that I am not allowed to earn points...they tell me that's not true and that I will get points. At this moment, I decline my 'gift' and go with points...to which I am never awarded and have to call the Marriott Rewards line.

- Call the Marriott Rewards line and explain that I got neither my points nor my gift due to hotel confusion...they admit that the communication is poor and give me points for my previous stays...they then (they being a manager) tell me that I need to tell the hotel that I check in to do a manual adjustment to my rewards account to get the points.

- I check in at the SF Union Sq. location and am offered my choice of gift or points...taking what the Rewards manager told me, I request points, but inform them that a manual adjustment is needed...they agree....before checkout, I ask them to confirm that that manual adjustment occurred, they again confirm. A week later, I find out that they didn't do a manual adjustment...so I call Marriott Rewards.

- Marriott Rewards tells me that the account shows they've spoken to me before and that they will not reward any points and that I need to follow the rules of the program.

WOW...platinum elite eh? I have to say, I'm willing to follow the rules...I live my life on it and teach my kids the same values...but when the rules are not clearly communicated and vary by location...I have to say Marriott...get your act together. How many more of you have run into this occasion. From my discussions with Marriott, it feels like I am the only one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Earning points while earning Miles
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

RL,

I've always earned points, never miles. So... your situation has never happened to me. I am disappointed in the end result after following your sequence of events. I'm curious, when the person you spoke with the second time tuned you down, did you share this "manual adjustment" story? If so, did they verify that there was even a procedure that the hotels can follow?

Either way, I'd call back, talk with a supervisor and ask for a second look.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I agree with PP.  Be persistent and call Marriott back.  This area regarding miles appears to be a weak ***** in Marriott Rewards armor, possibly because very few members choose miles over points perhaps(?), but regardless, they need to get this dialed in.  There are similar problems with using Marriott Gift Cards.  Marriott's own 'rules' and procedures appear to be poorly communicated/established within their own ranks in this area of the business.

Let us know how it turns out, although resolving this at the hotel level for future visits (especially if you stay in many different hotels) doesn't sound promising, to be honest.

rlauchard Platinum 25 Reviews

I called back two times...I did speak with a supervisor who told me that even though they saw on the notes where I called in and was told to ask for points applied, that I was out of luck.

I'll be honest...I don't care enough to keep spending hours of my time with these folks. I only earned miles because of the bonus miles promotion that was going on. I thought that I would bring this to everyone's attention as it's a proven fact.

Thanks for the replies!

andywas Member

Can anyone show me the way on ththe Marriot website, how to convert points into miles ?

On other hotel websites it gives you the option to have have your points directed into air miles, by clicking on a few linkthereafter putting in your air miles

card number and then the points automatically get transferred into air miles

I would appreciate some input....thanks

rlauchard Platinum

Expand the 'my account' section....

Click on Profile...

On the right side under personal information and under credit cards is a section called 'Earning Preferences'

This is where you pick points vs. miles.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...