19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2012 11:40 AM by californian RSS

Excellent Stay at the JW Marriott DC

jfgunner Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a platinum member and most of my stays are in Fairfield Inns, Residence Inns and Courtyards.  I usually travel by myself on business.

I have seen many complaints about getting what we "entitled to" as platinum members.  Frankly I never feel like I really"am entitled to anything special.  I have found that if I want an upgrade, I can call and ask for one ahead of time and usually get it.  Of course, I only ask when traveling with my wife.

I recently traveled to DC with my wife for a 4 day weekend in April during the Cherry Blossom Festival.  I chose the JW Marriott DC because of its central location and several recomendations on this site.  I used Marriott Gift Cheques for 2 of the nights and 35,000 points for the 3rd night.

I sent the hotel an e-mail about a week before my stay and asked if an upgrade would be available for my stay.  A customer service agent name Veniese answered my e-mail and said she would be happy to accommodate my request.

When we checked in, I was offered points or a food item as my arrival gift.   I chose points then the agent said " Since you are here on a special occasion, we will gieve you both.  Choose something from the list and we will send it right up!".

They also said the CL would be open all weekend due to the number of families expected at the hotel that weekend.  They even had an additional room downstairs that was serving a CL breakfast in the morning since they knew the upstairs lounge would be very busy.

The room we had was an Executive Suite.   It was really just a bigger room at the end of the hall on the Concierge Level (14th Floor).  Our room had a wall of Windows where we could see the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and the Capital Bulding  at the end of Pennsylvannia Ave!

The next afternoon, room service stopped by.  We didn't order room service but there was a note from Veniese that said " Welcome to DC".  There was Champagne, Chocolate Covered Strawberries, and a Welcome Basket with a DC T-Shirt, Coffee Mug, etc...

The following Morning, We received a note under our door with 2 Free Trolley Tour Tickets and another note from Veniese hoping that we were enjoying our stay.

This hotel and Veniese in particular went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.  I can't wait to go back to DC and stay here again.   It was everything a Platinum memeber should hope for (but maybe not expect).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, District Of Columbia, USA JW Marriott Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
  • Re: Excellent Stay at the JW Marriott DC
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

You hit the jackpot!  I am so pleased you and your wife were treated as such valuable guests.  You might consider nominating Veniese for the Spirit to Serve Award.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

jfgunner,

Congratulations!

That is the way it should be and we are so glad this was a memorable experience.  Having stayed on that floor it is truly a wonderful experience as well as "History" is right at your window.

Please keep us informed about other experiences you encounter.

traveler2 Platinum

Wow! Lucky you!  How nice to hear that you were treated so wonderfully! This really is what being a Marriott loyal is all about......that special touch!  We weren't so lucky there the last time but this really does give us hope for the next trip. Thanks for keeping us updated!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings jfgunner, On behalf of behalf of Marriott associates around the world, we take pride in providing exceptional service for each and every guest and we appreciate you taking the time to nominate a Marriott associate for this important award. We’ll enter this nomination for consideration of the Spirit to Serve award.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Wow! I am happy that you had the royal treatment.  It is encouraging to hear.  Another thread suggested that we get a suite twice a year.  I would settle for once a year.  That would be something to look forward to.  I will remember about the award if I ever have a Marriott employee go above and beyond for me.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

jfgunner:

Thanks for this report. We are planning a trip to DC later this year and am not sure where to stay but this review certainly puts this hotel in the running!

erc Platinum

Tef

Let me toss in one of my favorite local properties (used often for weekend site seeing, anniversary dinners, shows, NBA games etc), The Washington Marriott at Metro Center. It is superbly managed (last visit was January), they provide terrific service to rewards members (including benefits long forgotten - if you get my drift) and almost always is $50-$100 less per night (sometimes even more) which can be reinvested in activities. Great  location for metro travel (thus the name) around town and/or to and from Reagan National (saving on rental and parking). You can't go wrong either property, but this one's a keeper. Have a great trip.

I have plan to stay at the Marriott Crystal City at Reagan National Airport.  I called and talked with the C, she took plenty of time and sent me a whole lot on helpful info.  They have a free shuttle to airport and is on the metro line.  After reading all this, I checked prices and realize that I must have caught a glitch and have a better price than I can get now.  Is it worth my while to keep checking the others or will I be happy where I plan to stay?

erc Platinum

cali

If you got a good deal (and they at times can be quite aggressive in pricing <$100 there, so it's legit) then I would recommend going with your current CC Reagan, it's fine. Piece of cake hop to the airport and yellow and blue line metro to DC based on where you want to go - if going to Smithsonian/Mall area, a cab works also. Based on weather and interest, the nearby (walking) Fashion Center Mall at Pentagon City, Va. (there's a Ritz there) is nice with a restaurant row on other side of the center.

Enjoy the nation's capital.

Thanks for the heads up.  The rate i got is about half of what I could get now for the same time but not less than $100.  Now that I know, I will keep an eye on my dates for a better deal.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good rates on weekends are pretty common at nearly all DC area Marriotts. Not sure if your stay is over a weekend, but the CC Marriott is a nice play to stay.  Since it opened about a year or so ago, we prefer the CC Renaissance...probably just because it's still new.  Both have airport shuttle, but the CC Marriott is more convenient to the metro, although the Renaissance isn't that much trouble.  I would keep checking prices around the area at hotels that interest you.  You never know when a better deal will pop up, but you've always got your ace in the hole just it case it doesn't.  Have fun!  DC is a great city.

I will do that.  I have little experience with Renaissance.  I think they give us breakfast and have something in the evening like Marriotts.  I will check them all for better prices.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Most Renaissance properties are a step up from full service Marriotts.  And, the CC Renaissance did give my wife and I comp full breakfast buffet on weekends.  There is a charge for parking and I always have a car in DC, but the value of the breakfast more than off set the parking expense.  And they have a nice spread both at night and in the mornings in their club lounge.  I'll be back there middle of June and I'll try to remember to report conditions on the ground then.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

erc:

Thanks for the help! This info is much appreciated.

mgoes2 Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I've been meaning to write my review of my stay there this past March and it was absolutely everything you said it was!!!  I was also given the Platinum upgrade and both food with points!

Everything about my stay there was fantastic and I'll get around to posting that review soon!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

mgoes2,

Thanks for your comments!  This is a very nice property and I will look forward to reading about your experiences.

texaschef Platinum 1 Reviews

HMmmmmm....maybe I need to reach out to Vanessa. I am currently staying here this weekend with my daughter for Fathers Day weekend and we have had a HORRIBLE experience so far...wrong directions to the hotel from the concierge desk ( btw after the hotel had to search for someone to give us directions from Baltimore)...no recognition of my Lifetime Platinum Status...no offer of a room upgrade,or even a placement on the CL level and of course No Breakfast since the lounge is closed

It appears that even for an individual hotel, the treatment is different.  How do you plan?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...