17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2014 4:24 AM by bjcilley RSS

What should we do in Seattle?

travelvan Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have been to Victoria and Vancouver, but not Seattle.  Looks like a good deal on air hotel (points of course) when I turn 50 this August.  What does anyone suggest that my wife and I see in and around Seattle for about 6 days? Restaurants and markets would be a good start.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What should we do in Seattle?
    jvicar Gold
    Stay on the upper floors of the Renaissance where you will have a spectacular view of the harbor.   The Catholic Cathedral is a short walk away and has a magnificent interior and music program.  Pike Market is worth a wander and there is never a problem finding a good cup of coffee EVERYWHERE!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alwaysoof Platinum

The tourist stuff is really fun. Pike St Market, Pacific Science Center, the Space Needle. Tillicum Villiage is supposed to be very interesting. I have not done that, even though I lived there.

Beyond that, the downtown is very pleasant to walk around. The shopping downtown is pretty good too.

My favorite Seattle restaurant is Ocean Aire. Above average prices, but way above average food.

If you get tired of the city, take the ferry over to Friday Harbor. The ferry is worth the ride, and Friday Harbor is nice to walk around too.

bicycleray Platinum
    Of course everyone likes the Pike Street Market area.  There is an Island about 20-40 minutes by boat from the Pike street area.  It is owned by an Indian Tribe (sorry don't remember the name) but they have exhibits and a museum and dineing.  It is a nice half day outing.  I would imagine someone at the hotel would know about it.

pdxnative Gold
    Pike Place Market is always fun.  Try Ivars for lunch along the waterfront and feed the seagulls.  If you are into sports and outdoors, you'll be like a kid in a candy store if you visit the REI downtown.  The Ballard area is good for street shopping. 

qualitymonster Silver
    In Seattle, you have to go to the Tower to get a nice overview of the city from the observation deck.  It is also worth spending a day at the Pike Place Market (just watch out for the flying fish!)  These are both famous landmarks in the city, but they're not "touristy", since there are a lot of locals about.  One particular store near Pike Place Market warrants a visit, if only because it is so unusual in nature:  The Ye Old Curiosity Shoppe.  Seek it out, and you won't be disappointed!

becks66 Silver
    Be sure to get out to the Woodinville Wine Country which is about 30 minutes North East of downtown.  Highlights include the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery and Red Hook Brewery.  Make a dinner reservation at The Barking Frog @ the Willows Lodge facility for an upscale casual dinner next door to the ultra exclusive, super expensive, #1 restaurant in washington, The Herbfarm.

mikieg Platinum
    All of the suggestions here are good, but I don’t think anybody mentioned the Duck Tour (www.ridetheducksofseattle.com). This departs from the Space Needle and takes you all around the area in an amphibious vehicle, eventually taking you for a dip in Lake Union (home of expensive houseboats). This is a must do. For what it’s worth, the Marriott Waterfront is the only hotel I would consider checking into for a non-business trip. It’s a few steps away from Pike and is on the shoreline.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

mikieg

I second your suggestion. The "Duck Tour" was a lot of fun.  My wife dragged me on it early last September and I was pleasantly surprised and was able to gain an overview of Seattle.  Seattle is an excellent city to spend a few days or more visiting.

charprn Silver

Like everyone said, Pike's Place (try the dungess crab salad sandwich at Pike Place Chowder - Post Alley) and the Space Needle. Love the shopping. We followed the 'Pigs on Parade' around town - not sure if they're still there.

Wasn't crazy about the Renaissance. They were doing construction this past October. Would've rather stayed somewhere else.

elysium Platinum
    I agree with Becks66.  Go to Woodinville if you’re into wine.  In addition to Chateau Ste. Michelle you can visit Columbia Winery directly across the street and then on to dinner at The Barking Frog.  I did all three of these the last day of a business trip and it was very enjoyable.  All of these are in walking distance of each other.  The closest full service Marriot is in Redmond about 10-15 minutes away.  Make sure to take a car service back and forth so you don’t have to worry about enjoying too much wine.

jasperjugan Gold
    try the underground tour, harbour cruise, aquarium and of course seattle center, including the space needle and experience music project.

bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

Hope I am not too late to chime in.  I have lived in and around Seattle for 50+ years.  Unless you want to see a toilet that's been underground for 120 years, skip the Underground Tour.  I still have not been to EMP.  Waiting for the price to come down. 

Take a Washington State Ferry to Bainbridge Island.  Walk on and save money.  Get off on the Bainbridge side and have lunch, then come back.  Cheaper than a harbor cruise, but you get out on the water.

Take a day and get a car.  Go to Paradise Lodge at Mount Rainier.  You cannot beat that for a day trip. 

Drive out to Snoqualmie Falls.  There are great viewpoints and, if you're so inclined, hike to the base of the falls for an even better view.  The Snoqulamie Valley is where twin peaks was filmed.  You may recognize places if you were a fan of the show. 

Summer is a great time to see outdoor concerts

Pike Place Market is worth a stroll, but save yourself some aggravation and DO NOT go on a weekend. 

Woodinville has developed an incredible wine industry over the years.  There are too many tasting rooms to count, and growing daily.  You can drive yourself, or book one of the tours that provides transportation.  If you like wine, you can do no better than these winemakers.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Great suggestions bjcilley. Having lived in the area from 1997-2006, your post brought back great memories. During those years, I did everything you mentioned . A side trip to Fremont to see the troll is fun too. Combine that with a visit to the Chittenden Locks for a fun afternoon.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

travelvan,

The Marriott Marina is a wonderful place to stay!  Walk along the waterfront, Pike Street and a lot more!  Really one of the most enjoyable Marriott's I have ever stayed in:

IMGP0032.JPG

The view from one of the many balconies at the hotel!

IMGP0035.JPG

Pike Street is really interesting, especially when they "Throw the fish"!

IMGP0042.JPG

Great views from spacious, well kept rooms!  Very nice CL as well!

bjcilley Platinum 5 Reviews

It's actually Pike Place Market or just The Market.  pike street is a long street, running from the market up capital hill

KatieC Member

I was just there and we only had a few hours between business meetings and our flight. We did the duck tour. It was totally cheesy but hilarious. Check it out: www.ridetheducksofseattle.com.

curiousone Platinum

I would recommend the Marriott Waterfront over the Ren. Even if you do not stay at the Water  , stop in at their restaurant and have a bowl of clam chowder. (Assuming they still hand slice the bacon and deep fry the potatoes in duck fat) You can walk all over Seattle and find many interesting stores/shops.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...