15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2015 8:49 AM by mikimo RSS

Honolulu

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I'm posting this under Other Posts, because I've given up on destination posts. It usually gives me three or more opportunities for the same place then after I fill in the accurate information it tells me it's inaccurate and I lose what I've written.

Anyway, of all things I will be going to Honolulu at the end of July.  When a trip was cancelled during fall break to Europe, I got a large credit from the airlines, only to learn I could not use it because they'd switched to this weird section where taxes were 90% of the airfare, so the tax on the new trip had to be lower than the old one.  This never works for Europe or the Middle East, so I considered (as some of you know) mileage runs to Seattle or San Fran. Then it occurred to me, why not go to Hawaii, where I've never been, for a few days.  Sure enough, it worked, and I had to pay very little extra.

I've booked the Marriott Waikiki Beach and read posts about it, but does anyone have new info?  With three days are there any excursions worth taking?  I am very much an ocean person, so I don't expect to be unhappy on my mileage run .

Cheers, ProfC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Honolulu
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Aloha,  Prof C.  I hope you have a wonderful trip. We would move to Hawaii in a heartbeat.  We stayed at Marriott Waikiki Beach in November and our stay was fine. The location is fine. The hotel is not as fancy as you might think, but it was clean and quiet. We enjoyed sitting on the lanai (balcony).    Since it is a resort, they do not have a concierge lounge or comp breakfast.  We did get coupons for the restaurant and the outdoor bar.  We had appetizers and fruity drinks a couple of nights for dinner.  On this trip, we rented a car for one day to drive to Hanama Bay, then to the North Shore.  Hertz has an office in the hotel.  I remember reading about some tours, but we didn't do any.   You would probably enjoy a visit to Pearl Harbor.  A view of the island from the Punchbowl Crater is breathtaking as is the view from the Pali Lookout.  When I lived in Hawaii from 1980-1983, I always took guests to the Polynesian Cultural Center.  We did not have time to go on this trip, but it might be someplace you would like to go. We bought pineapples at a grocery store named Don Quixote for about 1/4 the price they are at the airport and carried them on the plane. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

Have been six times and have stayed at The Marriott.  It is not fancy, but good location, and I enjoy Honolulu the best of all places in Hawaii.  The walking, dining, and relaxations is wonderful. 

Knowing that you enjoy history, Pearl Harbor, The Arizona, Punchbowl and so many other sights are great.  You should try to take a ride/drive around the whole Island, it is worth seeing. 

Did some "Deep Sea fishing", and it was great, but you will be able to choose "Water experiences" that will be memorable.

The thing that has amazed me about Hawaii is is really is a "Paradise", so different to me than the Caribbean.

Congratulations on your choice!

Thanks, Razorback and Jerry,

In view of what you said, would either of you suggest the Marriott Waikiki Courtyard instead? It is almost the same price.

Thanks again, ProfC

I would not.  I have never been in the Courtyard, but I don't think the location is nearly as nice.

I agree!  Would not move to the CY. 

In my response, (Two minutes after razor!), it amazed me that we had so much of the same thing to say.  The Marriott, is very modest, but a good location, about a block from the beach. 

Prepare yourself for a nice time! 

I would not rent a car, and if you do, do obey all laws.  I was five minutes late on moving my car out of a parking place on the street, and the car was in the process of being towed.  I kept them from towing, but it made a "Believer" out of me.

Hi Jerry, isn't there an old saying that says something like "Great minds think the same".

Thank-you but you have "The Great Mind"!

Thank you all for the great suggestions -- and it is amazing how great minds think alike!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Profchiara,

Razorbackfan made excellent recommendations in suggesting that you visit Pearl Harbor and the Pali Lookout.  If you decide to visit Pearl Harbor you will want to get an early start.  The Park Service starts issuing free tickets for the boat ride to the USS Arizona Memorial at 7:30 a.m.  If you arrive in the late morning you will be given tickets for an afternoon tour.  I thought the USS Missouri was an excellent site to visit as well.  I think the fee was around $20.  The Pali Lookout is awesome.  You simply take Highway 61 out of Honolulu.  If you like beaches, continue to the windward side of the island instead of heading back to Honolulu and visit Kailua Beach Park.  Many believe that this is the top beach on Oahu.  If you are into kayaking (they use sit on top kayaks), you can take a guided trip out to the Moku Lua Islands (Mokes).    One of my favorite spots on the island is the westernmost tip of the island, Ka'ena Point.  Follow H1 west out of Honolulu and continue on as it turns into Highway 93.  As you near the end of the paved road there are beautiful beach areas that are not crowded in the least.  If you like walking/hiking you can follow the old railroad bed roughly a mile to Ka'ena Point.  The walk is beautiful and you have a good chance of seeing Harp seals at the Point.  Even if you do not want to walk the entire way, there are numerous spots to sit and be captivated by the crashing waves.  There are a couple of blow holes and if the condition are right you may be able to enjoy these as well. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

ProfC, congratulations on what sounds like the perfect choice!  A lot of excellent suggestions have been made that will definitely fill up your three days.

I noticed that no one mentioned Diamond Head, or signing up for a Luau.  Just curious anyone, do those activities pale in comparison to the other nice things mentioned here?

One thing I think is interesting about the USS Arizona.  If you look at Pearl Harbor in Sat view on Google Maps, you can actually see it under the water.  Very profound.

Aloha.

Don't forget to shop at Ali Moana Mall!  It is a great place to go and enjoy some of the stores for shopping.  There is also a "Bizarre" that is a lot of fun, with everything from food to antiques.  Have fun!

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

I would recommend the Marriott Ihilani on the west coast of Oahua.  Definitely visit both the Arizona and the Missouri.  Have breakfast at Kimo and Boots.  Spend a day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Great suggestion!

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

My only concern about the Ihilani is the new Disney resort that opened up next door.  I haven't been there since before the opening but it did give me pause for concern.

mikimo Member

I'm starting to whittle down the list of 'beaches I have yet to visit on Oahu', and I just checked another one off the list. Kailua Beach Park is sort of like the official part of Kailua/Lanikai beach.

15833200552_4e873d670b_z.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...