17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2008 1:04 PM by oxford RSS

Telluride, CO - How to do it?

eventmarketer Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I'm interested in attending the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in Telluride, CO. Has anyone been before? What's the best airport to fly into? Do I need a rental? Should I camp or find a Marriott?

• Re: Telluride, CO - How to do it?
    cctraveller Platinum

Telluride Bluegrass festival is a blast!!! You can fly right into Telluride but limited flights and expensive, you can also fly into Montrose and rent a car (I believe it is about 45min away) No Marriotts nearby but hotels and lots of people camp - make your reservations early - biggest event of the season out there....also really recommend Telluride Wine Festival.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

coloski Silver
    The best way to fly in is to either Montrose (1-1.5 hr drive) or Grand Junction.  GJ has more airlines but is about another hour drive.  Rent a car, it is the only way to get around.  There will be 1-2 thousand people trying to camp, you may want to find a place.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brians Platinum
    Telluride bluegrass fest is truily a hidden tressure. There is a small airport in tellurde that you can fly into. But driving thruogh Uray and silverton is an adventure in its self. There are no Marriots in Telluride but there are some hotels there and in the muontan village you will find some really nice hotels I usalely rent a house or condo but if you are planning on going there in June for this years Bluegrass fest good luck becuase it sells out Quik. Go to this festaval once and you will be hooked. Also try to make it to the telluride blues and brews fest if you are into blues and graet beer this fest is a must.

coloradokid Platinum

The Telluride Bluegrass Fetival is an awesome experience for bluegrass music lovers and for those who want to bring an instrument and participate.  The festival is fun for all ages and families. My sister attends yearly as well as my son who plays various string instruments in some of the open music groups.  The festival continues to grow and attract known music artists.  One major caution is to book hotel rooms many months ahead of time as the town fills up quickly. there are great restaurants and places to see in and around Telluride including great jeep trails.

Regarding airports, the closest decent airport is Montrose, CO about 1.5 hours from Telluride by car.  You can rent cars in Montrose as well.  The next closest airport is Grand Junction, CO about 2.5 hours away which has many more flights per day and more airline variety.   Durango, CO is another option and has a larger airport than Grand Junction with more airline availability.   

There are no Marriotts in Telluride or Montrose.  Grand Juction has both a Residence Inn and Courtyard almost walking distance from the airport itself.  As with hotels, it is best to book flights many months before the festival as seats fill up fast and rates increase exponentially for summer rates. 

nancyw Platinum
    The Bluegrass festival is an awesome time.  Suggest you fly into Montrose, CO (MTJ), then rent a car.  Lot's of places to camp in the area, if you don't mind roughing it.

mquinn Silver
     Have been there several times.  Used to have time share.  Don't remember if there is a Marriott or not.  Several places in the town or in Mountain Village.  Go to there web site (google Telluride) for best places to stay.  Haven't done Festival but spent 4th of July there.  Best to fly to Denver then Montrose and rent a car.  There is an airport in Telluride but kind of scary and unreliable time wise.  It is a fantastic place.

kwtraveliq Gold
    I went 2 years ago--great time--much madness!!  We camped, and if I recall correctly, it cost us $45.00 per night to camp and another $15.00 to bring our vehicle in.  The campsites are CROWDED but can be fun.  Don't know if you'll actually be able to get a hotel but would recommend it if you can--otherwise you are stuck taking the shuttle and paying $10.00 to shower at the middle school.

isjoed Member
    If ypur strapped for time you can fly directly to Telluride. If not Grand Juction and rent a car or RV to camp. If you can stay at the park camping is great, other wise it can be a hassle taking a shuttle/bus. Your camp ground could be quite a way from the festival grounds. I have not been in years but it was alway a good time when I did. I do not remember a Marriott in town.

rnorge Platinum
    Flights to Telluride are seasonal. Your options are to drive from Denver-5 to 6 hrs. Or take commuter flights from Denver to Montrose or Grand Junction, and you still will have a two hour drive. There are no Marriotts in the area. It is a very beautiful place and a fun town.  Good luck.

fftjohn Silver
    Telluride is a jem.  Plan way ahead if you are attending the Festival.  The best airport is Montrose, CO, with about a 45-60 minute drive to Telluride.  The trip will be wonderful.  There aren't any Marriott hotels nearby, but there are some good ones.  I stay at the Inn at Lost Creek in Mountain Village, above Telluride.  There is a gondola that runs between town and the Mountain Village.  Camping may be limited, but you can reserve a campsite through Colorado Parks.  Have a great time!

qualitymonster Silver

Telluride is a GREAT town.  Everything is pretty much within a 3 or 4 block radius, so you can walk to almost everything.  There are no Marriott brand hotels in Telluride, however.  Keeping this in mind, if you are looking for a centralized location to stay, I recommend the Hotel Telluride.  It's a small hotel, but very well maintained, and much more comfortable than camping would be.  There are also a nice variety of places to dine in town that won't set you back like restaurants in Aspen or Vail.  Just don't look at the prices of local real estate...they've skyrocketed almost to the Aspen/Vail range.

As far as which airport to fly into, Montrose and Durango are probably the closest (besides Telluride itself, of course).  These are both small airports, so you'll probably have to transfer from the nearest large airport (either Denver or Albuquerque).  It takes a concerted effort to get to Telluride, but once you've finally gotten there, it will be worth all the effort!

illinoisboy27 Silver
    If you're not from Colorado, I highly suggest you just fly into DIA and rent a car and enjoy the scenery the state has to offer.  Be mindful of the drive time though because the state is HUGE.  But it's so beautiful.  If you're checking out Telluride, be on the lookout for the Rocky Mtn Folk Fest in August in Lyons, which is less than an hour from DIA.  Have a great time with great tunes in an amazing setting...

sicilian_elf Platinum

Fly into Durango, CO.  The closest Marriott property is a Residence Inn in Durango.  However, that's a 2-3 hour drive from Telluride (less than 50 miles by crow but over a hundred on mountain roads by either of two spectacular routes).  I recommend driving through Silverton and Ouray over the "Million Dollar Highway".

You can either camp or find a small, privately owned motel or B&B. (Sorry, Mr. Marriott)  Book early, they'll sell out during the festival.

akoppang Platinum 1 Reviews

Telluride is a wonderful place and the Blue Grass is special.

I suggest you fly into Grand Junction, CO and rent a car.  Your alternatives are Montrose, Telluride and Durango.  If you drive from Durango there are mountain passes to drive through.  A ticket to Telluride may be expensive.  Montrose is closer than Grand Junction, but there are very few flights in the summer.  

Enjoy your trip.  I live in Grand Junction and love it.  

There are Marriott properties in Grand Junction.   

fexturbjet Silver 1 Reviews

Hey there,

Funny you should mention this as I fly into Telluride quite often. YOu can get a connection to there through Denver on Great Lakes. Cost is ???? But that is about as close as it gets. 10-15 minute ride down the hill to the town. I recommend the Telluride Inn. Great digs and the scenery is nice. Try the Free Lift up the hill. Spectacular views. Bring a video camera or a digital camera at least. Hope this is of use. Take care.

Sean

mountainman Gold 1 Reviews

I believe that Untited (Great Lakes Aviation) flies directly into Telluride; alternative would be Montrose, about an hour away by car.

oxford Gold 1 Reviews

You can fly into Cortez, and rent a car.  It's a spectacular drive up to Telluride, but does take a couple of hours.  If you are really looking for something really special, try Dunton Hot Springs, about 40 minutes from Telluride.  The most amazing place I have ever stayed.  www.duntonhotsprings.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...