1 Reply Latest reply: May 17, 2012 5:05 PM by pluto77 RSS

"Rollin' and Strollin' on the Arkansas River Trail"

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After riding my bicycle on the extremely flat terrain in south Louisiana for the past 30 years, the thought of riding in the hills (they look like mountains to me!) of central Arkansas is a bit intimidating for me.  I no longer have to worry because a network of trails has opened in the central Arkansas area that makes riding possible  and enjoyable for riders like me.  If you enjoy riding, I think anyone would enjoy a trip to this area.

According to a brochure describing the Arkansas River Trail, "walkers, cyclists, skaters, and joggers are invited to enjoy the trail and its beautiful surroundings".  In my opinion, it is a dream come true no matter what type of exercise you enjoy.  The "Big Dam Bridge" is the longest bridge in the country built for walkers and cyclists.  It spans 4,226 feet over the Murray Lock and Dam (www.bigdambridge.org).  The Junction Bridge, the only pedestrian and bicycle bridge with a lift span, was originally constructed in 1884 as a railroad bridge.  An elevator which holds two cyclists and their bicycles allows them to cross the entire length of the bridge which connects downtown Little Rock (near the Presidential Center and River Market District) with downtown North Little Rock (Alltel Arena and Dickey-Stephens Park) (http://co.pulaski.ar.us/junctionbridge.shtml).

According to the website (www.rivertrail.org), "The Arkansas River Trail will reach from downtown Little Rock to Pinnacle Mountain State Park on the southern shore, and from downtown North Little Rock to Cook's Landing on the northern shore.  A fourteen-mile loop will be created by a pedestrian bridge across Murray Lock and Dam and a renovated railroad bridge near the Presidential Library Center and Park.  All together this project will offer approximately 24 miles of trail in Central Arkansas.  This trail will also connect to  the 225-mile Ouachita Wilderness Trail in Pinnacle Mountain State Park adding an additional 17 miles to this nationally recognized trail". 

A new bridge which accesses Two Rivers Park is the newest addition to the trail system. 

Additional websites include www.bacar.org, www.arkansasbicycleclub.org, www.littlerock.com, and www.northlittlerock.travel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: "Rollin' and Strollin' on the Arkansas River Trail"
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

Razorbackfan,

Yesterday AmGen rolled (more like flew!) through our town.  My husband got a pretty good pic as the peloton rode by (and that's all there was was the peloton).  No one out in front or straggling behind.

peloton.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...