10 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 4:50 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Frankfurt Marriott Transportation Options?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'll be spending one day in Frankfurt, Germany. I have one day to browse around. My transportation method of choice is the train/subway. I see that I can take the train from the airport

Frankfurt Flughafen

to the main station in town

Frankfurt (main)
  Hauptbahnhof

From there I can hop on the U4 subway. There is a stop on the U4 that appears to be less than 1/2 mile from the Marriott. I can't tell if it's accessible on foot. Has anyone made this walk to the hotel from Messe/Festhalle stop?

After checking in, I'm going to hit the downtown area. Any quick "can't miss" ideas?

Thanks,

Your Friend, Pained.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Frankfurt, Germany
Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Frankfurt Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Frankfurt Marriott Transportation Options?

As Ted Knight said in  Caddyshack ...."Well...we're waiting!!"  I'm boarding the plane in one hour.

Lots of love on here for Italy

Boat loads for France

Not a peep for our Germany travels....sad, so sad.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

Can you make it to the Rhine?

While there if you can see what a wonderful sight the river is, especially at The Mosel.

I arrived in Frankurt on Friday morning around 10:00 AM after an 8 hr flight from Philadelphia.  I took the train from the airport to the main station in 14 minutes... very easy. At the main station, I needed a little help to find the entrance for the U4 subway line. Quick trip to the Festhalle-Messe stop. This is within a city block of the Frankfurt Marriott.

The checking in was great. I handed the young front desk lady my Chase Visa and my Black PP card. She was really nervous trying to please. She was trying to find a suite that was ready for early check-in as an upgrade. I was alone, so I thanked her for her efforts, but asked for a smaller, simpler room.

I freshened up and hit the down town shopping area. Once again, easy subway ride, 5-7 minutes. It was packed with life, really invigorating. Picked up a Bayern Munich sweatshirt for my son. Had some great schnitzel at Jintz Corriander. Sat outside and people watched during lunch.  Back to the hotel for a nap.

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

painedplatinum,

Thank you for the public transportation update for the Frankfurt Marriott.  I will make note of this for future reference.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I'm guessing you have plenty of information at this point, but, depending upon the weather, I've found it to be an easy walk (with a roller bag).  If the weather isn't great, the Strassenbahn (not subway, more so a street car system - it's above ground for this short trip) is direct, easy, and incredibly convenient.  (It couldn't be any closer unless they ran it into or under the hotel.)  Oh, and it's a nice hotel, and some of the views are splendid.

I lived in Frankfurt many years ago, so it's a pleasure to go back, but - if it's your first time, and you don't have lots of time to burn - keeping in mind it's a large and diverse city - consider one of the (very convenient and reasonably priced) day or half-day bus (or combo) tours.  You can book them in the information office at the Hauptbahnhof - very near the main street entrance.  I'm congenitally skeptical of guided tours, but I've found the guides (surprisingly) informative, laid back, and more pleasant than irritating...  Over the last few years, I've done a few of these - for example - on lengthy layovers flying to Asia or Africa.  Even having lived there, I always learn something and see something I never saw before.  Among others, I'd recommend:

• A basic city tour, but make sure you choose one of the tours that takes you up to the roof observation deck of the tallest building in the city downtown - it's a really nice, panoramic view (but not all of the tours offer this - and it's worth the few extra Euros);
    • If you've got a full day, try one of the bus and river cruises - we basically took the bus in one direction and rode a river boat back - the river boat was basically a succession of scenery and highly photogenic castles -and we had a fun wine-tasting and a wonderful dinner at a casual restaurant; and even
    • The relatively short, down-town, Main river cruise - you can walk to the river from the train station - you can sit at a comfortable table, have a drink, snack, or a meal, and watch the city go by - it gives you a perspective of the city you won't otherwise get.....

If you end up walking thru the University downtown, try to imagine that -- just a couple of decades ago -- that entire complex was the U.S. Military Headquarters (V Corps, Corps of Engineers, etc.) -- the main U building (today) was originally the IG Farben building (yup, that IG Farben) and the U.S. re-named it the Abrams building, but everyone called it the Farben building....

ENJOY!!!

Location Brand Hotel
    Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany Marriott Hotels & Resorts Frankfurt Marriott Hotel

SS,  This is great info. I was in town for less than 24 hrs. I'll fly back thru Frankfurt in a week with a looonnnggg layover. I'll take advantage of some of your suggestions.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...