33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2015 8:14 AM by psudad RSS

Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora

miamimartin Silver
Currently Being Moderated

This one one of the nicest hotels we stayed at on our Italy vacation. It's centrally located and the view from the top of hotel overlooking the Vatican is incredible. The serve breakfast in the mornings from the roof top restaurant and it's included in some of packages.

Also, the wi-fi connection is free and the exchange rate from the front desk was the best around. 

• Re: Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
    disneyfan113 Silver
    Thank you for the information; we are considering a trip to Rome this year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ems52082 Silver
    You should try the marriott capri hotel, it's probably the best marriott i've ever stayed in, bellissimo!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• For those who visit Rome for the first time
    mintzm Silver
    As you might expect, Rome is extrordinarily popular with both first time visitors and those who return regularly.  As a firest time visitor you might want to look into (on the web) those sites that you absolutely want to visit.  Some, like museums and even several of the Vatican special sites, can and are reserved in advance.  To insure that at least all of your must do list is fulfilled, I recommend that you try to make reservations in advance (allowing of course a day or two after your planned arrival to insure that you are both rested and present).  Rome is very special, very large, and often very confusing so an advance plan with reservations can be quite valuable.

orange Platinum
    AND...It's convenient to all the touristy things.

happy_traveler Gold

I agree totally with the review on the Granda Flora.  My husband and I stayed there 2 years ago and we loved it.  If you go, be sure to visit the bar in the lobby.  Wonderful service.  Friendly people.  Beautiful hotel.

pcmdesign Platinum 1 Reviews
    This is truly one of the best Marriotts that we have ever been to. We have been in them all over the world and this one is special.

radbuster Platinum
    If this Marriott is full, consider the Hotel Parlamento.  Also nice.

noplacelikehom Platinum

The Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora was exceptional.  I spent many nights there on business and my experience was, without a doubt, one of the best ever.  The hotel staff were courteous, gracious and some of the nicest people I have ever met.  The location is perfect, near the park and on Via Veneto.  I am looking forward to returning to the Eternal City and to the Grand Hotel Flora.  I must admit I looked forward to the turndown service and the delicious chocolates!  Bravo!

crk534 Silver

We stayed here last May for a week and I agree it was a fantastic property!  The front desk staff wasvery helpful as  it was our first time in Rome.  The location was perfect - we walked the entire city, but easily took the bus home when we were too tired. The Business Center has access to the Internet, which heped us keep up with emails from home.

We highly recommend the Marriott Hotel Flora!

feelingroovy Silver
    Please look for my post on the hotel.  It should be up by tomorrow AM.

aussietraveler Platinum 1 Reviews
    My Wife and I stayed at the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora this past summer and had a blast. It's perfectly located and the rooftop terrace is outstanding for breakfast every morning. If you're not in a hurry, step outside and take a walk down Via Vittorio Veneto and have a expresso at one of the bistros. If you're there on a Sunday, be sure to walk though Villa Borghese and take a nap on the many grassy fields or benches

hackerron Silver

Did you use points for your stay? We tried to get in there for our stay in Rome last September and had zero luck getting in, using points.

We had a non-flexible schedule, having booked the air first...so maybe that was a problem.

Congrats on your great stay in Rome.

Ron

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

We've stayed once on points, and had no issues with booking.  We are staying again next June on points.  We wanted to go in May, but got busy and didn't get on the horn to Marriott until last June (maybe July?), and so next June was the earliest we could get.  Plan on booking with points a full year ahead.  It is imperative in fact.  The Grand Flora is a lovely hotel.  I saw that there is another Marriott just a few addresses down now.  Boscolo Palace Roma, one of the Autograph collection hotels.  Looks nice, great location (on same street as the Grand Flora), but what is with all the wierd nouveau decorative styling that Marriott is using in their lobbies and rooms?  I don't like it.  Case in point, Marriott has some great hotels in Paris.  I love the Marriott Champs Elysees, stayed there 3 times, but thought I would branch out and try some of the other Marriott hotels in Paris, Renaissance near Place Vendome in the 1st. Arr, Rive Gauche in the left bank, Renaissance Arc de Triomphe or Le Parc Trocadero.  All great hotels in great locations, but the interior styling is - I don't want to say hideous, but it's like something out of a wierd scifi movie.  Not liking it one bit.  I keep going back to the Marriott Champs Elysees because the styling is classic and elegant.  Same with the Grand Flora in my humble opinion.  Maybe I'm the one with no sense of style, but I just prefer styling that fits with the style of the locale.  Rome is ancient and timeless.  Bring on the pillars, columns, giant round tables with giant floral arrangements, stone spiral staircases and gold leaf, baby!

microman Silver

Great hotel on a nice via close to good restaurants and in walking distance to historic sites. Highly recommend!

hotelsnob Platinum
    Although I enjoyed the location of Hotel Flora; this hotel was the only Marriott I did not enjoy in Italy.  It may be due to arriving after a week on Capri at the JW (One of the best hotels anywhere); the rooms were small and just very old school europe, service was below par; in general, just could have been better.  Not what I have come to expect from Marriott.  If you ever land back in Rome, try the Marriott near the airport.  Unique and very modern; but with a unique train station feel. 

maddy9 Platinum

I was there in January and it was great  i would highly recommend --the rooms are really a nice size for rome; just be sure to request nonsmoking 

crewzin Platinum
    Thanks for the information, and the related posts.   We plan to be in Rome next year, and this sounds like where we will stay. No one has answered whether they stayed using points and if so, when?

mabusr Silver

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Flora the last time I was in Rome and it was wonderful.  We choose it because we had points, so we were lucky to get the room.  But I would choose it again, even if we had to pay for it.  The location is tops, the views from the restaurant are amazing and everyone who works in the hotel was very helpful.  Just a hint if you are paying for your stay -- since our plane back to the states was early in the morning, we stayed at the Marriott near the airport the night before our flight.  It was very convenient, very nice and remarkably well priced.  

I had a similarly delightful experience regarding my stay at the Grand Flora.  I agree with you regarding a stay at the courtyard near the airport the evening prior to flying out; we did that also and it was a good choice.

pat_rick Platinum 2 Reviews

EMS52082 mentioned a Marriott in Capri but I couldn't find it.  Is there a Marriott in Capri?

Pat

spurfan Platinum
    I went to the Marriott web site, searched the country of Italy and found JW Marriott Capri Tiberio Palace Resort & Spa on the Island of Capri.  I've not been there, but it looks fantastic.

pat_rick Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks Spurfan, I found it, it does look fantastic! It is a catagory 7 resort, no wonder.  I have to give it a try, maybe 4 nights in Rome Grand Hotel Flora and 3 nights in JW Marriott Capri.  Can't wait... Maybe when dollar gets a little stronger.

Pat 

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Only use bank-related ATM's as those you find in hotels and stores will charge excessive fees.  If I recall correctly, there is one across the street and to the left of the Marriott frnt door. 

Do not accept the Dynamic Currency Conversion option at either an ATM or any restaurant/store transaction. You will be charged an additional 3% or more for the privilege of seeing your withdrawal/purchase in your home currency. A complete ripoff!  This is in addition to what your bank or credit card company charges you for foreign transaction fees, if any ( highly recommend a credit card that does not charge FTFs, there are many without any annual fee, e.g., Cap One).

Also, many reservations can be made online directly with the site for no additional fee that a third party vendor would charge.  And the sooner you make those reservations, the better your chance of getting the date and time you want.

Many people are not aware of the Scavi tour that is available of the necropolis below St. Peter's.  This is where the body of St. Peter was buried, it is all very interesting.  Tickets must be requested pretty far in advance.  Google it and you should find the info you need for their website. 

Enjoy your trip!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

My wife and I spent a week there last April (2014) and it was exceptional!  The people were wonderful, the room was excellent, overlook Via Veneto, breakfast on the roof every morning, with a view of St Peters and the Borghese Gardens, morning runs in Borghese, great restaurants nearby (San Marco, Osteria 44/exceptional, Lotti (right next door for sandwiches, wine, gelato café), Girarrosto Toscano (right around the corner by the Roman wall), Sardegna (great seafood a block away on Via Sardegna), Peluso (a wonderful little wine store on your walk to San Marco's, sit outside, have a great glass of wine and a snack before dinner).  Oh, how I miss Rome!!  For a beautiful day, go down to Volpetti's in Testacccio and have them make up a picnic for you (with wine), then walk over a few blocks to Pyramid station and catch a train out to Ostia Antica.  Picnic just outside, the stroll the antique Roman city.  Almost a visit to Pompeii, but about 35 mins out of town.  In Testaccio, there is also the magnificent Protestant Cemetery and the Testaccio Market.  On the way back from Ostia Antica, get out at the St Paul station and visit St Paul Outside the Walls.  It is one of the major Cathedrals of Rome but probably one of the least visited because it is not in the center of town.  It is breathtaking.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

psudad,

So well put!

This hotel deserves to be called, "Grand"!

A wonderful group of Concierge Staff, who make the experience so special.  I can't wait to go back!

Thanks for your reminding me of this wonderful place.  Would also like to thank kharada46, for his information and experiences at this hotel.

psudad,

So well put!

A wonderful group of Concierge Staff, who make the experience so special.  I can't wait to go back!

Thanks for your reminding me of this wonderful place.  Would also like to thank kharada46, for his information and experiences at this hotel.

psudad,

So well put!

Sounds like it was a fantastic visit, psudad.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Indeed, it was.  We have been to Rome a number of times before, but just for a few days before heading out.  This time, we spent a whole week in the city and spent time in the neighborhoods and away from most of the tourism.  The only time we saw the coliseum was on the way to the airport for our departure.

702rugbyref Platinum

I was not a MR member last summer when I visited Rome but I am now and heading there next month so I appreciate this thread coming back to life!

702rugbyref,

Have a wonderful trip, and send us some photo's and updates!

Please review the previous posts, even if you don't have a lot of time to spend at The Grand Flora!

702rugbyref Platinum

YES SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LuckyCharm$ Gold

Thanks for the info! Will add this hotel to my list for my trip to Europe next summer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...