7 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 5:54 PM by tef6178 RSS

Elite Check in Process, recent experince at SF Marriott Marquis

ohhtay Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at SF Marriott Marquis and was extremly frustrated by the check in/out process for elite members. They assigned one front desk person for the elite members lane and thus the wait was much longer.

I am wondering if anyone else has experinced this. My recommendation would be to copy the process for the premier access lanes at the airport.  If any front desk staff is available and if there is a customer in the elite member lane, then they should have the priority over the non elite members who are also waiting for check in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Re: Elite Check in Process, recent experince at SF Marriott Marquis
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm not for that.  Recognition is one thing, cutting in line is totally different. Common courtesy should prevail. First come, first serve.  If you're an Elite member and you see there are three lines, get in the shortest line.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I had to really think about both points of view - privilege vs. courtesy.  In this scenario, the privilege was earned, and if one earns something, they are entitled to the attached reward (in this case privilege) and I can certainly appreciate and respect that.  By the same token, courtesy is a virtue and one can equally appreciate that.

Whenever I experience someone of privileged status defer or waive their entitlement of special treatment in favor of one less privileged, and I do witness such from time to time, it becomes useful to me as an excellent example/reminder of my own ambition toward virtue, and also reinforces my belief in the goodness that still exists in this world!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto,

I don't have a big problem with the special line..that's an earned benefit, enjoy it.

My problem was that if regular folks have been standing in a different line and the Elite line is moving slow, then the Elite member should not automatically be able to cut to the front of the non Elite lines.

I've been in both groups and both lines. I never begrudged the folks that had earned or paid for a special status. I have experienced the original post in this thread. A "preferred member" felt entitled to jump to the front of a different line. THAT did not feel so good.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

If Marriott used their heads, they would have more people assigned to the Elite lines and then when they clear the Elite line of check-ins they call over folks from the regular line. Then no reason for a complaint from an Elite and the regular line feels they are being serviced better since they got checked in at the Elite desk!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...