33 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2012 1:35 AM by profchiara RSS

Problems using points at Boscolo?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I first booked a paid stay at the  Venice, IT Boscolo - no problem.  Then since the cost was high I  cancelled and tried again using points. I had plenty and it was a Cat 7 hotel -- but suddenly it was no longer listed.  Can we not use points at Boscolo?

ProfC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Problems using points at Boscolo?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

ProfC,

There are a few posts here under discussions regarding this topic.  Do a search on Boscolo under 'Destinations,' and see what comes up.

I can't remember which blog, but someone said that you can indeed use points at this hotel, and that they had booked on points themselves, and then someone else said that Apr. 30/May dates had rooms on points available.  When we went to book this hotel back in February for a June stay, there were no rooms on points available.  Thus, my belief is that one can book this hotel on points, however rooms reserved for these bookings are limited.

I have a reservation for this property in June.  You're right, it is pricey, but it looks like an awesome property.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ProfC,

This is the post where camscott stayed in March of this year on points.

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/41108#41108

And check this out, camscott said that not only did they book on points, but they were given a free room upgrade as Platinums.

Thanks, Lori -- I just tried doing it another way and it said no redemption points were available for those dates yet when I first tried as a paying customer there were rooms.  Andy, as a Platinum, and since this is a Cat 7 (not 8) hotel, aren't I guaranteed a redemption if there is a room?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm anxious to hear the response. I like your thoughts Prof, but I'm not aware of point redemption guarantees. I'm  a strong supporter of this idea.

Hi PP,

I think the only way Platinums are not allowed to automatically redeem points if a room is available (and it was if was paying) is if it's a Category 8, where they have an exemption.  I hope to get some clarification from Andy because otherwise I will stay at IHC or ACCOR. But maybe that's what they want in case of a redemption...

ProfC

You're selling me on this, Prof.  Checking the web site I'm not finding where this is laid out. I do find the "Instant Redemption", but this is more points for dollars  versus points for stays. As I read it, anyhoo.

Marriott Rewards® Instant Redemption

I think I based it on what I last got with my new PP card in the mail about what the different levels get.  Usually only Cat 8 is exempt, though of course if there is a wedding or something that can undo that. But I do think there's a guarantee, and since I know a room is available, I am at least a little annoyed.  I will not pay 1280 euros for 4 nights when I could stay free or book a great hotel elsewhere.

ProfC

It seems to me that all hotels in Venice are pretty expensive.  My last (and only) stay in Venice was 2005.  When I went to book this upcoming trip, I was absolutely shocked at the prices.  I do not remember the prices in '05 being nearly this much by a long shot.  In February, there were some Venice Apartments through booking.com that were not bad (500-700€) for 3 nights for 3 people for June, but they're probably sold out by now.  And I don't know how good they are.

Hi Lori,

The funny thing is I was there last June at the Hotel Metropole (booked through Expedia) and had a fabulous stay at a great hotel at a really reasonable price.  That is why I am reconsidering hotel loyalty programs.  I will never reconsider airline rewards programs, since I get too many benefits from Delta to ever consider leaving.  But the ACCOR hotels I've stayed at as well as the IHC ones have been wonderful.  I will be in Mykonos and Delos, Greece (mostly free) at the end of next month, so I'm training myself not to insist on being at Marriotts, especially where they don't exist.

Cheers, ProfC

PS -- My expedia hotel cost in Venice for five nights at a 5 star hotel last year was about $600 for all five nights (dollars, not euros).

ProfC,

I remember you mentioning it in an earlier post and how much you enjoyed it, and so I looked it up (the Metropole) back in Feb. for this June.  It was expensive (over 1000€ for 3 nights, but I can't remember if that was a 1, 2, or 3 person rate.)  Have you checked the rate there for this summer?  Again, I was thoroughly shocked back in Feb. when I was booking at how high the rates were across the board.  Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.  Compared to what I've seen this Spring when shopping summer rates, your rate from last year is absolutely incredible.

Hi Lori,

I paid for the Metropole through expedia for five nights in a room that would easily hold two people and a child, and it only cost me $700 for the whole thing in summer.  I may go that route again because if I can't use my points there's no real value in accumulating them.

ProfC

Tru dat.  We always have to book a year in advance to use our points at the best Marriott properties.  I hope we hear from the Community Manager on this question of Plats being able to redeem points if a room is available.

Otherwise, I'd be interested in knowing if your able to secure some good rates elsewhere.  I had no luck there.

Cheers.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Pointless--gotta love it! 

With the new system where you supposely can use points on the spot upon arrival, you could really get screwed if you assume (as I did) that a Cat 7 hotel that had a room would be available.  I'm still hoping we can get some clarification on why I couldn't use points.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

good luck

Prof,

I think the points on the spot you're referring to aren't meant as room reward points. The way I read it....After checking in, you can use points to buy things on your folio, i.e.. snacks, meals, etc.  The way it applies is the points are turned to cash value...not very good.   I'm curious to see if I'm mistaken and you're interpretation is correct. That would be a good thing.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings profchiara, it sounds like there are several factors involved so let me try to explain as I understand this scenario. Marriott Rewards members (of any Elite level) may book redemption stays at any hotel based upon availability and regardless of a hotel's category level. For each hotel category, there's a corresponding point value for a standard redemption http://www.marriott.com/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardType=Standard.

Hotels have standard rooms available for redemptions every day. Blackout dates traditionally refer to a limited number of dates on which a hotel could choose not to accept redemptions. With our new “No Blackout Dates” policy, hotels will no longer have blackout dates for redemptions but hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption on a limited number of days. Platinums are guaranteed a room if it is booked 48 hours prior to arrival, with the exception of special events or dates (the President's inauguration, Super Bowl, etc.). This benefit cannot be used in conjunction with award usage or any type or promotional or discounted rates.

Hi Andy,

The problem is that I KNOW they have an available room for my stay because I originally booked it (without thinking) then had second thoughts about how much it was going to cost for four nights (about $1500).  That's when I tried to redeem the nights at the same Boscolo Venezia hotel and it showed no rooms available.  I don't understand that in terms of redemption policy.  There was a room if I paid; a short while latter there was nothing redeemable on points.

ProfC

Prof,

You now know where my moniker came from.... I tried booking a room with points a couple of years ago in the Caribbean. No luck, no rooms available. I checked using $$$, plenty of rooms available. I called the hotel.. A manager explained that they had less than a 30% occupancy rate for the dates I wanted to book.  BUT none of the rooms available were for "points stays". She explained that the allocated rooms available for point stays were already booked. I seethed for quite awhile. I wrote about my dissatisfaction on this site. Many folks responded "welcome to the club".

So much for no blackout dates!  I could even 'get it' at least partially when they made exceptions for some Cat 8 hotels.  But it's simply false advertising if there are rooms available (as you and I know) at non Cat 8s and we cannot redeem points.

What I will probably do is either book on expedia or orbitz or take up Priority Club's excellent offer of special benefits to come back and stay in Venice, or maybe just book in Ravenna, super cheap, where I really want to spend much of the time.  But I'm mad, hopping mad.  (Alas, I don't hop, so it was just a nice word choice.)

And now, PainedPlatinum, I do indeed know where your alias came from.  But why do we bother?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pained:

As told by a manager...."none of the rooms available were for points stays".....and there in lies the problem. When reading the community managers re-hashing of the policy, the part that says "With our new 'No Blackout Dates' policy, hotels will no longer have blackout dates for redemptions but hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available on limited days. Platinums are guaranteed a room if it is booked within 48 hours prior to arrival......"

Where the 'Blackout dates' part refers to redemption stays...the 'Platinums are guaranteed a room' refers to PAID stays. It can be very easily interpreted that Plat's are guaranteed a redemption room in the way this was worded, but we are not. We are lumped in with the same 'limited amount of rooms' as everyone else. This whole 'no blackouts' deal is so frustrating.

I am, unfortunately, also a member of the club.....

Tef,

You know it, baby. This motto of our club could be.. Misery Loves Company!!

Well I guess I have my answer.  And there is no way I will stay at the Boscolo Venezia.  Even beyond the initial annoyance, now it's a matter of principle.

You got it Pained Platinum.  Marriott Rewards gas now become not MR but MLC.  I am feeling quite hostile right now.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

pained:

...and we do have a lot of company!

marshallp Platinum

I am staying at Boscola in September on points.  However, when I first tried to book on points back in December, they did not have any availability for points reservations.  Apparently, they only have so many rooms available for points.  When I tried back later the next month, I was able to make the reservation on points.  I guess someone had cancelled so a room opened up.

Hi marshallp,

That may have been the case -- and it may have been my cancelled room I got since I realized shortly after booking that there was no way I'd pay that amount of money.  Since I tried the rewards part quickly after that it may not have gotten out of the system yet.

But that does raise another issue: if they only have so many rooms available for points, doesn't that amount to the same thing as blackouts, or airlines allowing only a certain amount of seats for award redemption?

ProfC

I think no black outs might mean that there are no dates in which they will not set aside ANY rooms for points, and that while they will set aside rooms for point redemption 365 days/year, they can still limit the number of rooms that they set aside.  Not saying I like it, just trying to explain the fine print.

marshallp Platinum

profc,

One way around this is to buy Marriott gift certificates with your points, which you can then use to pay for the room at Boscolo.  i have never tried that, but I'm told it works, although I'm not sure if it is worth it since the room is so expensive.

I actually got to use the rewards the next day -- probably the same room that I cancelled when I realized what it would cost.  Still, I tried (just for curiosity) to book again with money from a different computer and it said rooms were available. Interesting.  But I will be there and only paying for amenities and taxes!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...