22 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 3:06 PM by anadyr RSS

What's the point(s)?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I decided to open a new discussion because of my inability to redeem what should have been redeemable points at a Cat 7 hotel, the Boscolo Venezia.  I first simply booked it and was told (on the computer) that because I was elite I would get the special rate of 280 euros a night.  I booked it, but then it sunk in that we were talking about $1500 so I cancelled the reservation.  I then tried to rebook since I had plenty of points for 4 nights at a Cat 7, but suddenly there were no rooms available for redemption.  In my view, this is against the stated policy of Marriott redemption awards.  I know Cat 8s can deny redemption, but this wasn't.

My big question is what is the point of accruing points?  If we can't redeem them based on what we understand as the rules, why stay?  Since many of us have been unhappy with the changes over the past year or so, I see less and less reason to do so. I have always loved most full-service Marriotts, but on my recent trip to France I was in Accors or Best Westerns the whole time (although I didn't pay) and the rooms were superb, even in smallish cities.  So isn't loyalty a two-way street?  Shouldn't we expect that when we follow the rules, we can redeem a room when a room is available (as it obviously was in my case in Venice)?

I am seriously rethinking loyalty and what it means.  Delta always has my loyalty because I've been royally treated and rewarded, and most importantly, my treatment has increasingly improved over the past three years, even though airline profits were not great to say the least.  So for airlines, no problem.  But what does PP mean (or any other elite status) if you can't pretty much wipe out your points to stay at a nice Marriott? Not much.

ProfC

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What's the point(s)?
    tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Prof:

Your experience in this situation is a perfect example of how, when room capacity has been exhausted for redemption availability, Platinum members are lumped in with anyone who wants to redeem a room on points.

You can't.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

And Tef, the key is the room capacity wasn't exhausted.  I cancelled the room reservation (which I had no trouble at all booking) within an hour and then tried to use rewards redemptions. That's where the problem happened.  Availability disappeared.  I would have had to stay in Padua instead.

There is a serious flaw in the system -- maybe a mistake, but more likely wanting us to pay rather than use rewards.

PS - And I won't, certainly not at that price.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

prof

you have rally been on a bummer of a run with Marriott properties in the last 6-12 months!  You have every right to re-consider your loyalty to the brand. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Class distinctions because of rates paid?

GUESS WHAT?  Just for the you know what of it, I tried again this morning to book at the Boscolo Venezia for four nights on reward points an IT WORKEd!  Andy, I don't know whether you were involved in this, but if so, thank you!  But in any case it does point to a larger issue of why these things happen.

Yippee,

ProfChiara

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Prof,

Which of these do you think came into play?

1) Ask and ye shall receive.

2)The early bird gets the worm.
      3) If at first you don't succeed....

Probably all three, Pained Platinum!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

My take - right place right time.  Someone cancelled, and she got to the newly available room on points before anyone else did.

Regardless,

Way to go Prof!!!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Prof:

So glad it worked out for you! Maybe now your Marriott experience is changing for the better!

Happy Travels!

As in days of olde there were signs that you would be successful: birds flying, escaping from the towers, etc.  Congratulations.

michaelg Gold 8 Reviews

Hello ProfChiara,

This is my first post (lucky you!).  I am a lowly Silver Elite member, but had a similar experience trying to book online using points.  The website would not allow it due to lack of availability.  However, I called the number on the membership card and the rep booked us right away, no problems at all.

I wonder if it is a website issue?

Thought this was worth sharing.

Have a great trip!

Michael G.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Michael,

Congratulations on your first post!  We all hope you have many more!

Your comments are appreciated as your families service to our country.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes Michaelg, welcome to Insiders.  That's great news about your points reservation.  Always love reading posts about getting what you need with MR.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Professor,

I have been traveling and have not been able to follow your post, but like the others, glad you got this resolved.  Have a great trip!

Thanks, Jerry!  I still think we need to be fairly vigilant in looking out for the privileges that remain!

Someday we may think of these as the good old days--sadly.  Vigilance for sure.,

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

ss

so true.  

erc Platinum

And even these current good ol' days are starting to show wear and tear. In spite of some spooky (along with some excellent, so it appears to be a coin toss) reviews about the Marriott Beach Place Towers both in this forum and Trip Advisor, I just couldn't resist lovely Ft. Lauderdale in June at 40% off. Wow, using my usual on line profile requests of early check-in, refrigerator, and high floor, I pushed the button and was all set. That evening I received a basic boilerplate, welcome; "glad to have you" letter from the property that also pointed out there was no concierge lounge, they couldn't honor floor requests, check ins and outs were set (even though to this date, they're still going begging for occupancy), and that elevators were under repair - and a fine how you do to you too, Marriott !

Oh well, no sweat, like earlier posts on Beach Towers, I was determined to still have a good time, but in the trust but verify mentality that we nowadays are required to have dealing in the caveat emptor world of the service industry, I glanced at the current Trip Advisor reviews on the property - ouch. No kidding, no fewer than three out of the last twenty reviews said it stunk (sometimes literally), bad enough to receive,  another boilerplate response on the site from the customer service department telling the reviewer to contact them (rather than someone with a scintilla of customer service mentality contacting the reviewer). Like any good gambler would do, I hedged my bet, immediately downsizing my reservation (but still unable to resist a deal) and moved half my chips on the always dependable Harbor Beach resort, closing out the week, so I was guaranteed a good taste. Hopefully the Towers folks aren't reading this - I'll be banished in a room overlooking the Hooters hvac!. It seems like more and more of us are being squeezed into fewer and fewer sure thing properties as we seek the once taken for granted, wonderful Marriott experience (aah, the good ol' days).

On a side note - I try to avoid changing subjects in midstream, but this post seems to be at the end of it's thread, so I'll toss in an update; SS, I'm reading Operation Anadyr by Gribkov and Smith to be up to speed for the release of your Christmas thriller, my project is moving along with a trip to the island in a few weeks, and it looks like I'll be in Chatham in late June to catch some Angler games (I'll give you plenty of notice, so you can plan a Hawaiian trip - ha, ha), so I'll be using your restaurant referrals - thanks.

Be there at the end of June too but we are engaged in a lot of Chatham 300 activities so let me know.

PS Brian Latell's book on Raul Castro is another excellent read.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...