8 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 9:12 PM by curiousone RSS

Anyone use Marriott cheques at the Cosmopolitan?

tmallon Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I would like to pay for my 3 night stay with Marriott cheques rather than points ($594 rather than 105,000 pts) but when I try to make the reservation it is telling me that my credit card will be billed immediately for the first two nights.  I've never had to prepay nights before, even at resorts.  Any way around this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anyone use Marriott cheques at the Cosmopolitan?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

tm,

I never have but I think you can. I would call the hotel to be certain.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Is this for a future reservation at a time of some event? I'm asking because of the pre-pay. I usually don't see the pre-pay unless it is some event. Example: For the INDY 500 (they sell out), I had to book a pre-pay, but they haven't charged my card yet.

If not some event, is this the way this hotel does business?

No, this is not for an event, just a personal trip.  The last time we stayed here we were billed the first night deposit immediately...evidently a common practice in Vegas?....and that would be okay.  But this time when I went to book (Marriott.com) it informed me that the rate changes from $180 the first night to $170 the second and third nights.  So now i guess they treat that as 2 separate reservations and they want the $180 upfront for the first night and then $170 upfront for the first night at that rate also.  I have never had a consecutive night reservation, even those encompassing different rates, be treated as 2 separate reservations for deposit purposes.  I really wanted to be able to pay with Marriott cheques at least for the last two nights....maybe the platinum line can help me resolve this.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Well, to me, this is just dirty pool. When there is no special event and the hotel wants to charge upfront for your reservation it locks one out of a rate drop that might occur after the reservation is booked. I was looking at this hotel the last time I went to Vegas and the rate fluctuated about every other day. Why would I pay in advance when the rate might be lower the next day? I would certainly call and demand the lower rate, but why should I have to do all that work to get the best rate available? The Rennaissance doesn't ask for upfront money.

I guess the upfront charge goes hand in hand with their ad campaign slogan..... "Just the right amount of wrong".

When it comes to the upfront charge they could add to the slogan.....  'to get me not to stay'.

curiousone Platinum

I stayed at the Cosmo not long after it opened and they did bill my card immediately. This was the first time I had seen this. On checkout I presented my Marriott Cheques and they reversed the credit card charges and applied the cheques.

Curiosone,

Thank you!  I was hoping someone had some experience using the cheques.  Was it a hassle to have them do that (i.e. several phone calls, call a manager etc.) and should I expect a lengthy check out?

sdbroker Platinum

I've used the cheques before (not at the cosmo tho), and had the same results as curiousone above.  Let them know when you check in that the payment you will use are the cheques to finalize the bill.

curiousone Platinum

There will a slight delay because the checkout person will have to manually enter the number associated with each check. I have never had anybody need to check with management to process the cheques. Hopefully in the future the cheques will have a bar code that they can scan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...