2 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 2:17 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Gifting or Sharing Points

jbardol00 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Is there any way to gift or share points between rewards members?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gifting or Sharing Points
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes sir, but I believe that to share points, it must be in conjunction with reserving a stay on points.  So in other words, I want to book a 5 night stay at a cat 8 hotel, requiring 160K points.  I have 120K points and so need 40K points.  Marriott will provide me with a form to transfer points to/from my account, which must be signed by the "gifting" member and returned in order for the points to be transferred.  It might also involve a conferencing in of the "gifting" Marriott Rewards member (sorry, it's been a while since I did this, and I have done it.)  As far as I know though, the points can only be transferred in conjunction with a reservation/redemption.  I do not know that they can be just transferred "willy nilly."  Does that make sense?  The best thing to do is to call your Platinum Elite Customer Service line for a comprehensive answer.

There has been discussion about transferring points to active duty military members as a gift, but again I'm not sure if it has to be in conjunction with a reservation/redemption.  Perhaps other Insiders can weigh in here.  If not, call customer service for the entire skinny, or we can ask the NathalieF to weigh in.

If you call customer service, please let us know what they tell you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gifting or Sharing Points
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Sharing and gifting appear to be two different categories, as far as the Terms and Conditions define them. My interpretation is as follows:

A member can TRANSFER points into that person's spouse or domestic partner's account. There is a procedure to follow... but it can be done. There doesn't appear to be an avenue to transfer points to any other person, i.e. friend, relative, acquaintance but the spouse or partner.

Gifting points to someone appears to mean BUYING points for someone. You can purchase points and have this purchase deposited into anyone's account. Up to 50,000 points (for $625) per year.

Here's the link.  See what you think:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/tranpurc.mi

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...