9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2012 5:21 PM by profchiara RSS

Participation of AC/Marriott in Florence, Italy in Marriott Rewards Program?

okitken Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am a gold member of the Marriott Rewards program.  Recently, I redeemed points for a stay at the AC/Marriott Hotel in Florence, Italy.  According to the Marriott website (see attached screen shot), breakfast is included at this hotel.  Upon arriving, I was told that breakfast was not included for me since I was staying on points and that I had to pay for the internet as well.  I explained to the hotel manager that this did not make sense since I am a Gold Member AND even if I wasn't, the Marriott website clearly indicated that breakfast was included as an amenity at the hotel.  They ended up charging me for breakfasts and internet useage anyway.  Just did not seem right.

Has anyone else stayed at an AC/Marriott Hotel?  Does anyone know if the AC/Marriotts follow a different policy for Rewards stays than other hotels do?

Thanks, Olga

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Participation of AC/Marriott in Florence, Italy in Marriott Rewards Program?
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Andy, can you reply to this? It seems a clear violation of what she signed up for. I too am leery of staying at AC hotels till I'm sure they're fully integrated into the Marriott system.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Participation of AC/Marriott in Florence, Italy in Marriott Rewards Program?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I feel you should have received the breakfast and free internet. As I understand it, cash or points, the treatment should be the same. I would call the Customer Support Line.

By the way...this is the exact type of thing upper management should be cringing about.. They've spent money on a marketing plan to get you to stay in their hotels. If you do, you'll earn points and increased loyalty to the brand. Excellent Hypothesis...  Now time to execute... Client books a room with the marketing tool of free points..Client checks in as a member of their loyal customer program...Client gets treated like yesterday's garbage...

The disconnect between the higher ups and the street is painful.

okitken Gold

Thanks for the advice.  I just called customer care.  Was told they have had other complaints about the same thing from this hotel. We'll see what they do about the charges.  I was told that the hotel needed to contact me.

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

Thanks for the warning.  I'm a platinum and I'm going to stay there on points.  However, if I don't get my free breakfast I am going to cancel.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

absolutelegend,

agreed.  after looking at the webshot of the reservation page which clearly states free breakfast (and indicated for all reservations, not special rates or gold/plat elites, but everyone - just like you see on an FFI or RI page), boycotting this property and similar properties is the best response to this sort of marketing nonsense.  there are so many other alternatives out there.  i don't see the point in bringing a brand into the fold if they're not going to comply with the marketing strategies and benefits clearly offered.  much has been written on Insiders this year about the lack of compliance with the newly inducted AC hotels in a number of areas (not accepting gift cards comes to mind among other issues).  the word is out - buyer beware - as people won't want to stay at these properties until they get their act together and are fully onboard with the Marriott program. enough negative experiences have been reported to keep us away.  how much more then will it take to thus convince us that it's okay to approach in the future.  these things need to be ironed out before they open their doors under the Marriott umbrella, not after.   i'll save my points for a property that i can trust, thank you very much.  the Hotel Maxim (boutique) in the heart of Florence is a lovely property that serves breakfast to all guests, and is both charming and reasonable.

Feisty Pluto!! I'm with you.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I agree, Pluto!  It's why I was so disturbed about the posting of a different hotel name at the Boscolo Venezia, which took a lot of emails and phone calls (and a full billing cycle) for my points to show up.  I've had this problem before at 'newly branded' Marriotts, so buyer beware is indeed the watchword.  And I've also seen that a lot of the AC hotels in Italy and Spain are not even really in cities, but more out of the way.  I no longer feel 'branded' so to speak, though I prefer Marriott if a good one is available.  But not if it's iffy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...