25 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 1:17 PM by jep2020 RSS

See the room first!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

After over 40 years of traveling, I have started doing something people did in "The Old days" seeing the room prior to accepting it!  Having had too many problems in NYC, Chicago, etc., I learned the "Hard Way".

Yes, I often would just take it for granted, and move my stuff in and figure it's too much trouble to move, not anymore.  I leave the bags at the desk and go see the room first.  It is surprising how much respect it garners from the front desk, sometimes more that PP!

Recently, I was rudely treated by a front desk clerk at a SHS, who told me on my FIVE night stay they could not get me a King Bed at anytime of the stay.  I went, saw the room, and returned to the front desk and said "Count me out", you don't need my business, and went down the street to a FF which really took care of me.

From now on, think about asking to see the room first!  Let me also share with you on one of my stays at The JW Grosvenor in London, the front desk manager actually showed me where my room was, walked me to it, without me asking, that is service!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
  • Re: See the room first!
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Absolutely true Jerry--too many times they forgot to tell me that the ice machine shared a common wall or I was next to the elevator.  Forewarned is forearmed and room checking is not that much to ask of a hotel

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes...my wife is very picky about that and we like to check our room out before we check in!!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Mine also.  I can't tell you how many times we have moved.

Jerry  - thanks for the tip!

Jasper,

Your wife can be nothing like mine, she is a "Perfectionist", and I will not even go to a room with all the bags, etc. without her blessing.  Sometimes I feel "Punished", because we want to see the room, but she does not want a room that you cannot make dark, or does not have a bathtub.  These seem like small requests but it can be difficult.

SS,

Am not trying to be difficult, but when I have loved ones with me, I have to take care of them.  When I am by myself, I am way more tolerant.

I always check

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

checked in to the FFI at Orange Beach, AL this afternoon and was assigned a nice 2 room suite.  Was happyuntil the air conditioner kicked on and it sounded like our old Allis Chalmers tractor fromthe 50's.  called front desk

and within 15 minutes had keys to another suite.  Very good service.  I stayed here a little over 2 years

ago when this hotel was practically brand new and it still looks good.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

husker

that's why I cannot handle the FFI,CY, or any other property that has the stand alone ac units.  either they constantly cycle on and off, or they sound like turbine engines.....

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm at a Fairfield Inn at Clearwater on the Bay and I never really thought much about the A/C units until I read the 'turbine engine' thought. Last night, all I heard was the sound of the A/C unit all night. Funny, it never bothered me in the past...........

Thanks Shoeman. (just kidding).

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Hi nuhusker, hope your stay at the FFI lives up to your expectations.  We stayed at this property a while back and were pleased with our stay.  There was a lunar eclipse while we were there, so we set the alarm and got up in the wee hours and went outside to watch it.  We looked for alligators in the back of the hotel, but they were hiding while we were there.  Were you able to find a great place to eat?

We don't mind air conditioners that make a little noise as long as you can set them to run continuously.  I am glad the hotel was able to move you to a better room.

Safe travels.

What power you have NU--and you deserve a better room too

NU,

I really know I am in the "Wrong room", when the room does not have a thermostat.  Most of us can remember what it's like to wake up in a "Sauna" or "Deep Freeze."

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

jerrycoin -- My room has a wall thermostat that controls the air con/heater, but it still makes more a lot

more noise

than the central unit at my house

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Excellent advice Jerry! Thanks for the reminder.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Have never done it.  It has actually garnered respect, huh?  I would worry that they may see me as difficult or "snobby."

Dear Pluto, any business that is afraid to let the customer see what they are getting does not deserve our business in my opinon

Sure, of course.  I have declined plenty of tables in restaurants.    Also declined a room at the Marriott C-E last trip to Paris.  We didn't get what we had paid for and had to be moved (with difficulty.  They did not want to move us, but did in the end.  We needed the extra space, which is why we booked it to begin with.)

Perhaps I'll try it on this next trip, since I'll have my mother and my little grandkids (and all manner of associated equipment).  It might potentially save them a big hassle.)

Great advice ****--too bad they don;t have rent a families!

the last thing i need is more family! 

One thing I have learned is that you can pick your friends, even your enemies,but not your family--they come with the territory.

Pluto,

I deal with "Snobby and difficult" people a lot, it seems to be normal, especially flying.  You should have witnessed the "Lecture" I got from the VAT refund clerk in London at Heathrow.  I waited in line for 1/2 to get abused over $20!  She is in the wrong business.

When you are spending the kind of money it takes to travel these days (As well as eat), it really is not too much to ask to see a room.  No one has ever refused me.  I tend to give them my Marriott PP black card for them to hold while I see the room. Sometimes, they actually look at it while I am looking at the room.  Many times they then "Thank-you" for being a PP.

Too true, Jerry.  It really is an excellent idea, and I think I will employ it when checking in at all of our hotels for this next trip, and not worry about what others may think.

I'm so thankful that I have received excellent and cheerful customer service with every Marriott stay.  I can't say that about airlines, but I never fly first class, and so I never board a commercial aircraft anymore without donning a heavy cloak of patience and perseverance, not just with the airline staff, but also with fellow passengers!  It is absolutely necessary.  I also bring a small children's toy or book, which has come in handy on a few occasions.  The last thing a stressed parent needs on top of an inconsolable crying child is another passenger shooting them dirty looks.  Better to be part of the solution.

Wouldn't it be great if we could check out our seats before accepting them!!    (I know.  Just being plain silly.)

jep2020 Gold 1 Reviews

Plut

What a great idea. And if there is no crying child I will have something to do.

Thanks

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

JC,

I have never used this idea. I like it a lot. I usually carry one bag to the front desk and head to the room. If all is okay, I head back down for any additional items. This is a much better strategy. I'll try it out on my next stay. Thanks.

PP,

That's smart!

Too often I have had a bellman take 5 bags to the room and then find out it's not an acceptable room.  Have to then repeat the whole check-in process again.

Leaving my loved ones with the luggage in the lobby while I look at the room eliminates that problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...