1 2 3 9 Previous Next 123 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 9:14 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Security Issues - London 2012

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Dear SS (re a previous conversation) - and others who might be contemplating visiting London this summer,

Though I'm not sure whether it constitutes a "travel-related" matter (in the conventional sense of the term), I nevertheless thought that the following piece (from a relatively reputable website) might be of interest:

"The Ministry of Defence is considering placing surface-to-air missiles on residential flats during the Olympics.

An east London estate, where 700 people live, has received leaflets saying a "Higher Velocity Missile system" could be placed on a water tower.

A spokesman said the MoD had not yet decided whether to deploy ground based air defence systems during the event."

Best of luck,

A

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
London, England
London, England, United Kingdom
South Africa
  • 1. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I read that same language on the BBC web site. What is your advice, Ark? Should we come with hard hats at the ready?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

Arkwright is a travel professional and he really know what is going on.  You must prepare for the "Anything", it will be a trip you should be patient.

• 3. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

hmmm.

• 4. Re: Security Issues - London 2012

PP and others,

Hard hats might overrate the destructive capacity of the UK's defence arsenal. Moreover, there is a disturbing rumour doing the rounds to the effect that MOD can no longer afford to buy missiles!

I'd stick to a large G&T and prayer.

A

• 5. Re: Security Issues - London 2012

Sad state of affairs when the games become reason for a London lockdown

• 6. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I've had the opportunity to be at 3 different Olympic Games, two here in the USA.  They have ALL become 'lock' down events.  Heck, even the G8 and G20 meetings have become challenging events to defend.  I, for one, am pleased that the English are using everything at their disposal to protect the worlds elite athletes from the nuts that have threatened life as we know it. 

• 7. Re: Security Issues - London 2012

Since those awful days in Munich we have regressed into a risk avoidance strategy for all public events. A friend was FBI Liaison for the LA Games and never slept during the entire period.  Atlanta showed that a single act can wreck games.  And so it goes, we live in a dangerous world.

• 8. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Why I prefer to watch on TV. 

• 9. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    thecamel Platinum

As a Brit I would shocked if this "story" is true.

Our police officers don't even carry guns.

If it was true, I am sure it would have been a huge story, and I haven't seen it on the news.

• 10. Re: Security Issues - London 2012

They may not carry guns but i understand they have easy access if they need them

• 11. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

thank god they do!

• 12. Re: Security Issues - London 2012
    thecamel Platinum

There are lots of reasons gun crime is alot lower in my country than yours.

The fact the police do not carry guns is a major one though.

• 13. Re: Security Issues - London 2012

We certainly hope that it is.  After all, you are a lot smaller and smarter than we are.  Anecdotally I heard that Knife violence is very high (can't recall where I heard this but it seemed a logical explanation for a non Brit

• 14. Re: Security Issues - London 2012

I can understand your scepticism.

The original "report" was taken from the BBC Website, and the same story was all over the front page of last evening's London Evening Standard.

Make of it what you will. Given that many of the major political/financial etc figures from around the globe will be attending, it is inconceivable that no additional measures will be taken; equally, as an example of "disinformation", this report could be taken as part of that response.

A

1 2 3 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...