18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 3:53 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Paris with kids

docbrl Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We're traveling to Paris with the kids (15, 15, 11) next week.  We're staying at Marriott Village d'Ile-de-France.  We plan two days at Disneyland Paris and probably three in the city.  Any suggestions beyond the usual (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre, Champs Elysse)?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Bailly-Romainvilliers, France Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France
  • Re: Paris with kids
    emerson6 Platinum
    In Rick Steve's book on Paris he talks about a very small (like 3 tables) restaurante called Chez Agnes.  It is owned, and run by Agnes and was our highlight experience in Paris.  We had our 4 kids (23, 21, 17, 14) with us and had the experience of a life time.  The owner waits on you and cooks your dinner.  She speaks a little english but we will never forget that evening.  Make reservations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

swflzbear Platinum
    I liked the Cathedral de San Denis which is less popular than Notre Dame, but is the burial place of French Royalty including Marie Antoinette.  It has beautiful stained glass windows and is not nearly as dark inside as Notre Dame.  Also I would recommend the Musee d'Orsay which is a great museum in a converted train station on the left bank of the Seine River.  See lots of great works of art including "Whistler's Mother" (probably the most famous painting by an American in the museum) without the huge crowds and overwhelming size of the Louvre.

komodoman Gold

Are you traveling to France from America to go to Disneyland? Personally, I think that's not good use of your time. We took our kids at the same age to France and I can't imagine the need to spend anytime at Disneyland. At the very least, cut it down to one day. Take the extra day and go to Versaille.

Consider an evening boat tour. Go to the Rodin museum and just chill. Take the money you'd spend at Disneyland and give it to the kids to spend. Let 'em buy junk souveniers like my daughter or, buy Soccer jerseys like my son.

While it may be too cold, we had a great dinner picnic by just walking through the markets and picking up whatever looked good. I think we had Chinese food, French wine and German chocolate for dinner.

kdtmro Silver
    You can take a bus though many small towns to Provence, a walled city about 1 hour from the Euro Disney bus station. It's a pleasant day trip.

mizmellie Gold

I was in Paris last summer with 12  14 year olds.They enjoyed Les Invalides ( napoleons tomb), St Chappelle a very small chapel near Notre Dame, riding the metro, eating crepes and sandwiches from street vendors. Most went all the way to the top of the Eiffel tower some even walked down The Louvre was VERY crowded - we were there late in the day - maybe go earlier? 30 deep at the Mona Lisa. We did really enjoy napoleon's apartments though.   Musee d'orsay or l'orangerie might be a better choice ??  If you have a day trip to Versailles they would probably enjoy that. a great cassette tour and neat history and gardens.   A fabulous restaurant near Les Invalides and a metro stop is Le Florimond.  if you have girls they would probably enjoy a stroll through Galleries Lafayette or le Printemps. GL is like Herrods - neat foods upstairs. It is worth going in to the Opera House if you are near there. 

it may sound corny but our kids really did enjoy a city tour by bus.  Great overview and some neat facts ( the city workers - sanitation, etc wear designer styled uniforms -- after all this France!

have a marvelous time!

Would love to know how it turns out. we go back next yeat with family and a younger child

i am envious.  we go back next year

globewalker Platinum

Lived in Europe three years with my three teens and pre-teens, never did Disney, my kids had a blast without it.    Have them learn the Metro, and show you around.  Take a boat on the Seine is a nice way to spend an afternoon (hope for a warm day.  Musee D'Orsay is great for impressionist paintings, the restaurant there is a great place to have lunch (the one with the gold ceiling, not the cafeteria).  If you can catch vespers in the crypt at Sacre Couer (5 or 6pm), it can be an incredible moving experience, I think you need a 2 euro coin to get in, from there you can also walk steps up over the roof of the church.  Catch Dinner at Le P'*** Troquet, on Rue De L'Exposition in the 7th. 31 Euros.  Tell Madame Dominique Mr Smith says hello.   See the Rose Line at St Sulpice...and try to find a few other Da Vinci Code sites.  Chateau De Chantilly (40 mins north of Paris is a good visit, especially if you love any of the following; Castles, Gardens, Horses, Art, Old Books, or Whipped Cream (aka Chantilly Legere) stop at the van in the parking lot for this, it is outstanding.  Far less crowded than Versailles.  If you have fashionistas, try Galeries Lafayette for shoppping, it's a beautiful place...and there's a champagne bar if you need a break. 

ctbill Platinum 11 Reviews
    When we lived in Paris, our teenagers always took their American visitors to the catecombs and the sewer tours.

soxrule Platinum
    Definitely skip Disney, especially if you've been to Disney FL or CA.  Do the kids like/play soccer?  How about going to an evening soccer match.  Maybe hop the bullet train and spend an afternoon in Brussels or another French city, the ride alone is a thrill. Climb the stairs at Notre Dame especially if the kids were into Disney's Hunchback Video when they were younger.  Plan for jetlag, force the kids to stay awake the first day and not sleep until 9PM otherwise they be waking up at 2PM and goint to sleep at 2AM for the rest of the trip.

mizmellie Gold

I did not want to rain on your parade but i would not go to Disney either

The city is so beautiful and easily accessible you will have a great time poking around. 

Day trips to Versailles or Chartres or Monet's garden at Giverny would be much more memorable  experiences. 

go to travelforkids.com/funtodo/france

feelingroovy Silver

Oh, my gosh!  Take the train out to Versaille.  It really is a not-to-be missed experience!  Arrive before lunch, dine in the village, just a block or so from the train satition.  Eat pastries!  Then walk right over to the palace.  Don't let anyone at the train station try to sell you a cab ride, or a bus ride.  It's just not necessary, a rip-off, and you would miss the village, which is charming!

Enjoy!

pattisca Gold

In Paris, spend some time doing what the Parisians do.  On the Champs Elysees, there's a bowling alley somewhere (it's in a basement and it's small, but it's there -- the concierge can help).  Take some time out to go bowling and see the French when they're just kicking back.  You'll love it!  Maybe that same night, plan to have dinner at an outdoor cafe...and don't rush.  Just watch the world go by -- it's what Parisians do!

The first night, climb the Eiffel Tower (or better yet, take the elevator :)) and the Arch de Triomph.  There's also a building somewhere (can't remember the name) that has the best view of the city.  It's a way to stay awake, see the sites, but not exhert too much energy -- just spend time taking it in.

Other ideas in Paris:  catacombs tour, Bateau Mouches, picnic in a park (instead of lunch),

Also, be sure to plan an evening in Mont Martre, which is right outside of Sacre Coeur (that big white church).  Artists abound, and the environment is so energetic.  Teens would just love it.  Buy them their first piece of real art.  Maybe not a real painting (they can be pricey), but a sketch of their favorite site in Paris.  You can get them pretty inexpensively.

I lived right outside of Paris as a child.  I would recommend at least one trip outside of Paris, but not to Disney Paris.  It's important to get an idea of France, and getting an idea of France by seeing Paris is like getting an idea of the US by seeing New York.  There's so much more depth.  Some ideas...

Rent a car and take a day trip to the Loire Valley to see Chambord, Cheverny, and Chenonceau.  For that matter, you can overnight it and stay in a castle!  Unfortunately, no Marriotts in the Loire, but wow anyway.  If you really want an amusement park, while in the Loire Valley check out Futureoscope, a virtual reality park.  Very neat for teens (not so good for little ones like mine...however, they were free to get in).

When we were in France two years ago, on a whim we decided to take the kids to Normandy (we day tripped it, but it's a good 3 hours to Normandy), to see the sights.  My husband is  WWII history buff, and we'd been there on our honeymoon.  Our boys have followed in their father's history addiction.  At Pointe du Hoc, they have not restored the land since the invasion, and there are craters 3 storeys deep, original German bunkers, etc.  If you do choose to go there, see The Longest Day, first.  It will orient you to that coast.  Also, the Normands are SO sweet...their families still remember what the Americans did.  The museum "The Memorial" is wonderful.  I've attached a pic of my sons in a bunker in Normandy.

wanderinbill Platinum
    It has been several year since I have been to France, but I would recommend spending some time outside the city also (I don't know if you have a car or not, Perhaps take a train ride).  I would recommend heading south or west.  The pace of life outside the city is much more relaxed, the scenery is beautiful, the people are friendlier and the food and wine is superb

retireddl Silver
    I'm sure your kids would enjoy climbing the tower at the Sacre-Coeur Basilica at Montmartre.  Also if you have time, take the train outside Paris and spend the day at the Palace of Versailles.  It is well worth the trip.  Be sure to see the Eiffel Tower at night.

duddie Platinum 5 Reviews

We are planning to go to Paris in summer 2009 and will stay at the same Marriott if all works out.  My daughter will be 11 then, so please let us know how your trip was.

We are thinking of one day at Disney and maybe even 5 days in London before we hit Paris

restmyheadl Platinum
    We took all our children to this Marriott location in Paris. (10 of us).  It was more than wonderful, but very cold in June.  The pool was not full of water because it was not warm enough yet.  Do not know what time of year you are going.  Do not spend your time in Disneyland!!  Your in Paris and that is Disneyland enough.  We took the train every morning into the city, about 40 min.  On the way back you must get back in time to take the buses back to the hotel or you will have to take a taxi if you can find one at the train station that late at night.  Definately go to the Sacre Coer and pay to go up the steps to see the entire city.  Pay the extra money and stay one night in the city.  I just walked into a hotel and they gave us 5 rooms at a great deal.  Take the Beaches of Normandie bus tour from the city if you can.  It was most memorable for the kids to see and learn about the WWII.  You MUST take the FAT TIRE bike ride through the city.  We did the night tour which included a ride on a boat down the Sein River.  If you have little kids you might want to go during the day.  They take you to all the places you would never see.   They have a web site.  We take their bike tour in every country we visit.   Have fun!  You will never sleep!

rubensa71 Silver
    Suggest to visit science museum

uktraveller Silver
    Can't imagine 15 year olds thanking you for EuroDisney, its not like Orlando (ie cold and wet mostly) my 13 year old wouldn't go again if I paid him. Go to Versailles, see the Paris sites others mentioned, walk the streets on the left bank or Monmartre, sail the river etc EuroDisney sucks, waste of cash.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Other Paris threads to check

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1101          La Défense, Paris, France

paris rive gauche

Paris Rive Gauche

Paris Champs Elysees

Marriott Champs-Elysees Paris

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

The BEST place in Paris! (CE)

Paris Marriott C-E...virtual concierge???

Room for 4 at CE

Transportation from Airport to C-E

Renaissance Arc de Triomphe - Paris

Courtyard Marriiott Nueilly-Sur Seine

Renaissance Place Vendome

Paris Vendome

SusanL (Renaissance Vendome)

Thanks & CDG to Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero  (Renaissance Le Parc Trocadero)

Paris! "Never better!"   (Arc d'Triomphe trip report)

Surprise (discussion on Paris sights & hotels)

Paris Marriott C-E vs. Renaissance Paris Vendome

Paris CE or Place Vendome feedback please

First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?First time in Paris in May - Arc de Triomphe or Parc Trocadero or Marriott C-E?

Which Marriott in Paris?

Paris, What Hotel?

Where to stay ?

Paris hotels

Help us choose our Paris hotel!

Paris in April-Marriott/Renaissance

Paris, France late April, early May which of the hotels have Executive Lounge any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you  

What location and hotel would you suggest for Paris.  I will be going in mid September.

list hotels close to downtown Paris

Best Hotel in London & Paris

Hotel and Metro in Paris (hotel airport transporation options)

Summer Travel Story Conclusion (Paris pictures)

Summer Travel Story (Paris Pictures Part 2)

Perks at Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport Marriott and the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel  

Parisian Hospitality!

Complementary breakfast for Platinum members in Paris?

My favorite Paris hotel...

Which Marriott in Paris        

Paris by Train

Paris nightlife

Paris in May ?

Happy Bastille Day- Paris Summer Story!   

Paris with kids

Parisien Dining - Le Marais.  Any suggestions?

Paris to Normandy

Best Hotel in London & ParisParis! "Never better!"

Marriott Paris Champs-Elysees

Location Brand Hotel
    Bailly-Romainvilliers, France Marriott Vacation Club Intl Marriott's Village d'lle-de-France