22 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2016 8:27 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

What are your best hotel travel tip and worst hotel pet peeve?

majarfamily1994 Member
Currently Being Moderated

What are your best hotel travel tip and worst hotel pet peeve?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: What are your best hotel travel tip and worst hotel pet peeve?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Worst hotel pet peeves I think are broken up during different parts of the stay. I'll start with walking in the door:

Front desk folks who act as if you're bothering them. This is seen when simply checking in OR God forbid you would like something (ie. different room, specific bed, recognition, etc.) that is listed on your profile.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dlahaie Platinum

Good question.

I've got tons of travel tips so I can't come up with a best one, but here are two great ones.  If you don't already have AAA membership but stay more than 10 nights in hotels, get one, you will save money with the AAA rate.  Take vacations in ski resort towns during the summer.   The mountains are still beautiful, hiking trails abound, and a posh $400/ per night room can be had for $80!  

Pet peeve is when the fridge I request is not delivered to the room in a timely fashion and my perishable food items go bad.  Since I travel often I try not to eat out every meal and so having a fridge for groceries is essential.

majarfamily1994 Member

dlahie,

I agree about the AAA rates. I use it all the time. Your tip regarding the ski resorts is an excellent one! Thanks for sharing!

texasvoyager Platinum 30 Reviews

I have refused to do any business with AAA since 1987.  Their auto insurance division mistakenly cleared a $200 monthly payment for $2000 wrecking havoc on my checking account.  Once I discovered the error, my bank immediately went above and beyond to fix the matter.  AAA, however, waited 3 months to respond to the issue and then billed me late fees for their own error.  They have lost my business for 25 years now and counting.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

My best hotel tip is to check and re-check the rates even up to and including the day of the stay. Reason: rates always change and the hotels sometimes throw out ridiculous rates to get a room filled at the last minute. Example: Had a stay booked at a Marquis property for $249. The morning of the stay I checked rates for the Marquis just before I checked out from the Marriott I was in. Rate that day: $110. Cancelled the $249 and booked the $110. Nice savings!

Biggest peeve is associates who don't know how to apply gift cards or Marriott cheques. Very aggravating!

Happy travels!

majarfamily1994 Member

tef6178,

I have never used gift cards or Marriott cheques. I went to buy some Marriott gift cards recently and it states directly on the card that you cannot earn points when you use a gift card. I was hoping to buy the cards over the course of the year so that I don't have to pay on my credit card. When I sw the detail about the points I knew I would just have to put the money aside instead.

Thank you for the tips!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

WHAT?!!  Cannot earn points when using a gift card?  That had better not be the case!  Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind purchase a gift card if it will nullify points earned for a stay?  Boy this gift card thing is starting to take on a life of it's own.  First, you can't use it for an advance purchase rate, then - well, you just plain can't use it (they're "not accepted," only they really are, or are supposed to be accepted), then, well you can use it, but accepting them for payment is like doing brain surgery for the first time and you'd better allow for the extra time it takes, and now I'm hearing I won't get reward points if I use them?

I want my money back!

majarfamily1994 Member

Pluto,

I was at the store yesterday and it said on the back of the gift card "Points cannot be earned when using a gift card as payment'..

I will try to take a picture of it when I go soon!

I just checked.  Stays paid with Marriott Gift Cards are eligible to earn points.  (Yay.)  Stays paid with Marriott "Travel" Cards (I have no idea what those are) are not eligible to receive points. 

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I received the points on a Dec. 30th stay a few months ago. Paid with a gift card.

majarfamily1994 Member

Pluto.

I just went to my store where they sell gift cards.. It's a travel card like you said and it doesn't receive points. Where do you get your gift cards at? Thanks for letting me know there is a differnce between gift cards and travel cards!

I purchased mine at the website below:

https://gifts.marriott.com/https://gifts.marriott.com/www.gifts.marriott.com

In January, they had a promotion where you could get 10 bonus points per $1 when purchasing your gift card (must specify your Marriott Rewards account number of course, to get the bonus points), up to $2500/25,000 bonus points.  Then on top of that, if you use your Marriott Rewads Visa to purchase the gift card, you get an additional 5 points per dollar spent on the gift card purchase.  I understand that Marriott has been doing this every year in recent years. 

If you don't mind my saying, I see you do not have elite status yet.  Here's how to make your Marriott Rewards membership really work for you:

Earn Elite Status (silver, gold, platinum, etc.) with your Marriott Rewards membership.  It will get you more points, and more benefits with every stay, and more discount rates/offers at Marriott properties.  More of all of these things means more money in your pocket and/or more purchasing power on your trips.

Might I suggest that you sign up for the Chase Marriott Premier Visa Card right away, as right now you'll get 50,000 reward points for signing up, plus two certificates for a one night hotel cat 1-4 stay, and I think the annual fee is waived the first year.

In addition, annually you get a one night hotel cat 1-4 stay cert (which more than pays for the $85 annual fee), plus you get guaranteed silver elite status added to your membership - 15 nights credited to your Marriott Rewards account (silver elite is earned with a minimum of 10 nights/year), plus you get 5 points per $1 spent at any Marriott property (2 pts/$1 on anything travel or dining related, 1 pt./$1 on all else) AND for every $3,000 spent on the card, you get one night stay credit added to your account (number of nights stayed/year is what determines your elite status - 10 nights gives you Silver Elite, 50+ nights Gold Elite, and on up.  Elite status gets you lots of extra benefits during your hotel stays.)  You also earn more points per stay with Elite status.  Instead of earning 10 points/$1 as a basic rewards member, you earn 12 pts/$1 as silver, 12.5 pts/$1 as gold, 13 (or is it 15) pts./$1 as a platinum.  On top of that, if you use your Chase Visa, you get another 5 pts/$1 on top of that.  Points add up quickly, which means free stays, and starting with the gold status, free breakfasts!

Oh!  and if you do, and since I suggested it, be sure and tell Chase that Lori Fleenor sent you, so that I can get 10,000 bonus points!

I am not rich nor am I a frequent traveler, but I have stayed 3 weeks in Paris at Marriott's most prestigious Paris property and 1 week (well, now 5 nights) in Rome, same thing for free, all on points.  It's a good program!

Let us know if you have any other questions!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tef,

Great tip on checking out the price up until you check in.

Likewise, have had trouble with my gift card.  Will try it again next week, but will expect a problem, and will have to get a manager.  Don't look forward to having that problem.

The tip I would offer is make sure you are aware of all of your Marriott Rewards and/or Marriott Elite offers.  It would be a shame to book a stay and not get the best deal because you didn't enter (weren't aware of) the offer code.

An example of this is when I once booked a stay at a Marriott Vacation Club at the standard rate.  I had a 40% off the standard elite rate offer code, but because I didn't bother to read my emails or check my offers on the Marriott Rewards page, it went unnoticed.  Fortunately, prior to my stay, I waded through 13 pages of elite offers, and noticed the 40% offer. I was able to cancel my existing reservation, and re-reserve the room with the offer code.  The point is, I almost missed out on a great deal!

Also be aware of reservations where a stay might include a rate change mid stream.

An example of this would be an upcoming stay where I needed a room for 6 nights from Saturday through Friday.  When I put in these dates, the price came back at 330€/night for all 6 nights, with NO rate changes.  But I noticed (purely by accident, as I was also considering staying at a different hotel the first two nights, and this particular hotel the last four nights) that when I requested the dates for Mon-Fri (as opposed to Sat-Fri), the Mon-Fri rates were only 284€/night!  In the end, we decided to stay the 6 nights at this hotel, but by making two separate reservations, the first for Sat-Mon, and the second for Mon-Fri, I was able to save money, as I got the Mon-Fri rates for the 284€ as opposed to paying the 330€ for all 6 nights!  So now I know to play around with my dates to shake out the best prices.

My biggest pet peeve at a hotel is not getting the room or bed arrangement that I reserved (king vs. two queens or a smaller room than I reserved.)   I dislike having to battle over something previously agreed upon.  Housekeeping never delivering the extra towels that you called down a request for.  Broken furniture.  Housekeeping ringing an extremely loud doorbell starting at 9am and continuing on every 20 minutes the morning of check out - extremely annoying!

I imagine that the most annoying thing would be to be treated rudely.  Fortunately that hasn't happened to me at a Marriott property.

majarfamily1994 Member

Pluto77,

Thank you for your reply ! I have done the rate checks as you stated. At one time I booked a full rate when it was cheaper than the AAA discounted rate! You never know what you get when it comes to hotel/car rates, but the never settle for the first price!

As for the pet peeve, I agree with you. I might add that I do not like it when you can see dust in the room! Especially around the lamps and bed! We stayed in one Marriott recently and we knew that the main door had never been closed during a cleaning. When we went to look out the peephole you could see the whole door was covered in dust and there was a perfect hand print of a child about 2 years old in the dust!

Again thanks for the tips!

majarfamily1994 Member

Pluto,

You are amazing! Thank you for all the Marriott advice!  We don't do a lot of traveling, but when we do we always try to stay at a Marriott.  The biggest problem that we encounter is the bedding problem. My husband is 6'3, my son is is 6ft. (only 14 and still growing)! My daughter and I are average height. Double beds just don't work!  So, our options are 2 queens with a sofa bed or suites or Residence inn.

If we do get the visa card I will be sure to mention your name!

Thank you so much !!!!

Understood majarfamily.  It's just always good to know and understand a program so it can best work for you.  I hope that you don't think I was giving you a hard sell, it's just that the current visa card promotion is a really good one.  I think when I got the card, it was only 25K bonus points, and just the one night certificate, so this is a good deal to cash in on.  You can always sign up for the card, get the points, and then cancel before your year is up and they charge you the annual fee at the 1 year mark.  The more cards one has, the more it does take a slight hit to one's credit rating, but not by much.  Anyway, just an idea, and I mean it when I say I am not a frequent traveler (like many on this site) and I have really gotten some nice benefits with this program.  In fact, I've saved more money doing the Marriott loyalty program than doing the airline loyalty programs.  So that's it.

Nice to have you here on this site.  You've made some great posts, and hope we'll hear more from you from time to time!

ramoneur Platinum

this thread in really interesting

I have never been treated without anything less than respect by the front desk personnel

(even when I was not a member or only Silver ;-))

boomer Platinum

I would agree with the tip on checking the rates.  Before booking I check without any discounts, with AAA then with my Corporate Code.  I like to stay in the highest level brand I can at the best value.  By doing this I have stayed in some FS Marriotts or Renaissance when the initial check would have landed me in a FFI or CY.

My pet peeve would be only having one packet of coffee instead of 2.  While in room coffee is not great I like to make 1 cup as I wake up and a second for getting dressed.

Jsucool76 Gold

My tip is definitely to re-check rates as others have said, and spend the 10 minutes to try all the promo codes listed on flyertalk. Also, check the "deals" page on the hotel website. Can sometimes find some good ones. Other one would be to email the hotel in advance of your stay to try to secure a room upgrade, or maybe free parking (if they charge). Doesn't hurt to try.

Biggest pet peeve would be people at breakfast buffets that use their hands instead of tongs, or aren't wearing shoes. Also, when housekeeping doesn't roll in at all, or even if they do roll in, when they do it at 7PM.

Quite possibly the most lucrative hotel tip is the citi prestige card's 4th night free benefit. =]

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...