51 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 7:32 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Vienna – Which Hotel?

bd Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We are planning a trip to Vienna next fall.

This is our first trip to Europe and will only have three days to explore the many attractions in Vienna.

We enjoy walking, shopping and restaurants.
Would like to be centrally located to walk to all the sights or at have easy access to public transportation.

Can anyone help me narrow it down?

Thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Vienna, Austria Marriott Hotels & Resorts Protea Hotel Samrand
  • Re: Vienna – Which Hotel?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

bd,

If you have the points or it's in your budget, The Vienna Marriott!  It is one of the better properties in Europe and in excellent location to allow you to see most everything you would want to in your three days there.

Good luck, take some good walking shoes and enjoy a very civilized area.

Lastly, you may want to email their concierge, introduce yourself and ask them for assistance on any questions you may have, or help you may need.  It could be very lucrative to have them arrange transportation to/from the airport for you.  Being it is your first time, it is nice having someone meet you, especially when  the price is the same as an unknown taxi or commuter van.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

bd,

I'd endorse Jerry's advice. An alternative - if needed - would be the Renaissance Imperial Riding School, which, as its name suggests, is steeped in history and has a good Executive Lounge, but it is "one train station" from the centre of the city.

If, after several hours of walking, you feel in need of some refreshment, you might try Cafe Hawelka - a true Viennese coffee house.

Have a good trip,

A

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Ditto on the Renaissance Riding School.  What a CL!

clark3 Platinum

my wife and i are going to a meeting in vienna  the first week in june.  our itinerary is courtyard downtown munich sat/sun, vienna riding school mon-fri and rome courtyard sat-mon.  Good idea about the vienna concierge.  Any thought about these 3 cities and the hotels.    ill post our impressions during and after the trip---we are gold members and my laptop will be used to skype back home.   also upgraded to $85 chase marriott card to get points and avoid international fees.  mh.

clark,

Have stayed at the Marriott but never the CY in Munich.  Have only heard good things about that hotel and it is close to most everything you will enjoy seeing.

If this is your first time, and you are taking the train you will have a great time.  Make sure you are at MarrionPlatz, when the "Clock chimes, and displays all the characters", it is something special.

DSCN0144_0115.jpg

clark3 Platinum

thanks for the quick reply--will stay in touch.  c3

Clark3,

A few notes on your itinerary:

1. There are now two CY's in Munich. I think that you will be at the original of these, which is very close to the HauptBahnhof and in the centre of the city - about .5km from MarienPlatz (see Jerry's note) and the main shopping area. Try a walk around the VictuallenMarkt to savour some the sights, smells and tastes of Bavaria.

(If you have yet to fix your method of transport between Munich and Vienna, take a train; the journey time is about 4 hours, and the route passes through some excellent scenery.)

2. The Imperial Riding School Renaissance is one train station away from the centre of Vienna, but only a matter of minutes and there is a good service. The same service also runs to/from the Airport. The Executive Lounge is good, as is the external facade of the Hotel. Vienna is as Vienna has been for much of the last 200 hundred years; if you are an art lover, there is a major exhibition over the summer celebrating the 150th anniversary of the birth of Gustav Klimt (whose paintings now sell for a pound or two!). As well as the Secessionist Gallery, you might also visit the Belvedere.

3. The CY Rome also has its distinctive charm; e.g. as you are pounding away on the Gym's equipment, there is a direct view of the Vatican to provide inspiration. Much has been written on here about this hotel; it would be worth your checking some of the pieces. The location is a suburb to the west of the city called Gemelli, from which there is a perfectly reasonable overground train service through to the Rome Metro every 30 mins; change here and the centre of Rome is about 5 stops distant. One point to note is that the last train back from the city runs at about 22.30. The hotel itself is unpretentiously functional, and the staff very willing to assist with "tourist-type" questions.

Have a very good holiday,

A

clark3 Platinum

We have returned from our Munich/Vienna/Rome holiday.  All Marriott properties(Courtyard City Center Munich/Imperial Riding School RenaissanceVienna/Courtyard Central Park Rome) were as described by all of you and very easy to use.  The public transportation was also as described very user friendly.  The different front desks were all very helpful and I agree that the executive Lounge at the Riding school was very nice---a great perk. The different restaurant and sightseeing suggestions were used and much appreciated.  Thank you all    Clark3   PS  The "black" Marriott Rewards card was used without a hitch and generated many points.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Awesome news, Clark.  So glad you had a "rewarding" holiday.  Thanks for posting!

Good to read that you had a good time.

Vienna is always an enjoyable centre - fascinating and engaging at any time of the year, and offering relatively easy access to the rest of middle Europe.

Best,

A

Clark,

I am interested to know more about the chase marriott visa upgrade.  Are you saying you had the old premier card and upgraded?  If so, I did not know that was possible.  I ask because I was under the impression that the current premier card that I have (have had it for years) no longer has international fees.  Perhaps I am wrong about that.

Thanks.

clark3 Platinum

Hi pluto77

Sorry for the delay in responding--I am a periodontist and ive had emergencies out the whazoo this week.  Anyway, I have used a "gray" chase Marriott busines cc for about 6 yrs.  First yr free, thereafter $45, 3pts for Marriott purchases, 1 pt everything else, but foreign transaction fees are charged, have used it well for office expenses and have stayed for pleasure on  points a lot in these past 6 yrs

With this upcoming trip to Munich/Vienna/Rome for a periodontal meeting, I  was looking for ways to curb foreign transaction fees (have a cap one card---lousy rewards, discover card---not easily accepted in Europe), so talked w/ my chase business banker and rather than upgrade or cancel the gray card he suggested to apply for a "black' premier chase Marriott card which I got last month.  First yr free, $85 thereafter, 5 pts for Marriott purchases, 1 pt everything else, NO foreign transaction fees.   After this first grace yr I will cancel one or the other cards consolidating the two credit lines on probably the black card.  It was quicker to do it this way then cancel one and add the other so technically it was not an "upgrade" but opening a new acct for the trip but with an eye on future cards to boot.   regards, clark

Clark3,

Thanks for responding.  I already have the black premier card, so I'm thinking that means that there is nothing for me to upgrade to and that I already now don't have the foreign transaction fees (the black card used to have foreign transaction fees, but I think they've recently changed that, which is good, because they do add up).  So I was just wondering if I too needed to upgrade, but you've answered that, so my thanks.  I like the black card.  The 5 points is much better than the 3 points/$1, and you get one free night credit for every $3K spent, plus the annual free cat 1-4 night stay certificate, so the annual fee more than pays for itself.  Plus you're very lucky because it sounds like by upgrading, you will be getting the current new account promotion benefits of 2 free night certs your first year plus 50K MR points.  Very sweet deal.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You left out one key benefit of the black Chase Card.  You get a free night at (up to) a category 5 hotel each year.  That is worth more than $85 b y itself.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

About 3 years ago we stayed at the  Imperial Riding School Renaissance, Vienna.  IWe love to walk and it's a thirty minute walk to downtown Vienna.  It's less than 10 minutes by tram.  The hotel was extremely well run and the staff was exceedingly helpful.  The concierge lounge there was one of the best I have experienced in the world of Marriott.

While in Vienna, do not miss the Sacher Torte ant the Hotel Sacher.  You can go there for lunch, dinner or a mid day snack. 

Arkwright,

Great advice,

I will post a few pictures of things to see and do near the CY in Munich:

DSCN0152_0120.jpg

HofBrau House, International fun, great food and beer, priced right!

DSCN0155_0122.jpg

Olympic Park is a short tram ride away, and memorable!

Have a great time!

Excellent pics. It is a really city.

I hope Bibendum looked after you well

A

arkwright,

Bibendum, has always treated us special and their food is great!

Take care, and we hope to see you soon!

philindc Platinum 1 Reviews

Hello

Just came back from Vienna. I stayed at the Courtyard Schoenbrun. It's 5 minutes walk from the Schoenbrun castle (a must) and 3 minutes walk form the metro station (shoenbrun) line U4. The hotel is great, rooms are cozy, clean and price is good, service is top. You would be only 10 minutes by metro to Karlzplatz where the begining of the old town starts. From the Airport, you can use the CAT train from the airport to city center direct (10 minutes) and pick up the metro U4 to Schoenbrun.

If you are on a budget, this this the best. If not, the Mariott Vienna is excellent and centrally located. Don't forget to eat at PLACHUTTA.... Authentic austrian food.

Have fun. This is a beautiful city.

Phil

philindc,

Great report!

That would save a lot of point or money.  Thanks!

clark3 Platinum

any thoughts on a day trip to Bratislava from Vienna (what to do or not to do). My paternal grandparents were from Slovakia but their village is a 6 hour ride to and from Vienna (a 12 hour ride==too long for this trip when we want to see Vienna!) but I want to stick my toe in  the old country this trip and some day go see the village---so how should we go  ? (bus, cab,boat)  what should we do? have lunch...get back to Vienna for dinner or is travel at night predictable and have dinner there?   Thoughts appreciated==Clark

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

You can do Bratislava easily in a day.  I think it's an hour's bus ride.  Go there in the morning, wander around the center, have lunch & head back to Vienna for dinner/evening.

Re: others on which place to stay in Vienna, my strong recommendation is the Renaissance Imperial Riding School.  Did a detailed trip report on Flyertalk (including pictures), with an update.

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Imperial Riding School Vienna, A Renaissance Hotel

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Imperial Riding School Vienna, A Renaissance Hotel

Cheers.

clark3 Platinum

thank you for all the wonderful info.  because of this great forum i have got our itinerary fairly well complete with hotels (Marriott of course) restaurants and things to do as well as as local transportation guidelines.  if i may ask a few more  questions: !) how much cash in euros should i carry?--im thinking 200 each gotten here prior to departure for my wife and i and replenish at ATM's w/ my chase biz ATM card as needed, 2) should we bring US cash and our drivers licenses? 3)  i plan to use my Marriott chase premier "black" cc at the hotels---any trouble using it at the different restaurants listed by forum members? 4) i plan on the Marriott visa, cap one mc, Amex and one discover (understood discover is not taken in Germany) and in Austria and Italy only where dinners club is accepted  thanks again for all input! C3

1) How much cash/Euros you get is dependent upon how long you'll be gone, & how much you think you'll be using credit cards vs. paying things in cash.  You can get the Euros at the currency exchange before leaving the US or do it when you arrive.  I usually get Euros from an ATM at the airport when I arrive. BTW - make sure your ATM pin is a 4-digit pin.  Int'l ATMs usually work on a 4-pin system, not 6-pin.

2) Unless you have a rental car, there is no need to bring your drivers license.  And if you do have a rental car you should get an international drivers license (very inexpensive).  You don't need to bring US cash with you, but can't hurt to have a bit in case you need to exchange into Euros unexpectedly & for some reason your ATM doesn't work.

3) The color of your credit card is irrelevant to both the hotels and the restaurants - just as long as it has enough available credit, that's all they care about.   Speaking of which - most hotels will put a 50-70Euro/day additional 'hold' on your cc for incidentals (just as they do in the US), so keep that in mind given the Euro exchange rate is higher.

4) Is there a reason you need to take 5 credit cards w/ you?  Just bring the Amex, Visa, MC & you're good to go.  BTW - just before you head overseas, make sure you call the credit card companies & let them know the dates of your travel & which countries you'll be visiting so they can note your account.  Otherwise you could find your card(s) declined for charges 'outside your normal spending habits'.  Also give them a cell # to reach you at overseas, if your cell works internationally (althought truthfully I've found they're iffy about recording the phone #s, but they're pretty good about noting when you're overseas.

Have a good trip.  Cheers.

clark3 Platinum

thanks for the info it is exactly what i needed--c3

clark3,

skiadcock has given you some good tips.  I'll add my experience.  I take one visa card (my Marriott), one ATM card (with a 4-digit pin), about 100€ in cash (usually whatever I have leftover from the last trip - I just dump it into an envelope and file it when I get home) and that's it!  My credit card has never been turned down (yes, call the bank and let them know about your travel plans), and I use my ATM at major bank ATM's (PNB Parabas, Societe Generale, Sparkasse, etc.) as I need the cash.  In my experience, it has been completely unneccessary to head over with gobs of cash in my wallet.  Stay away from exchanging money at airports (unless a major bank atm).  I also have never found the need for an international drivers license.  And a passport trumps all in terms of identification.  I also leave any expensive jewelry at home.  You do have to be mindful of pick pockets and pick pocket/con schemes in big cities and touristy locations (common sense mostly, be aware of your surroundings, pay attention to the slightest "bumps", don't be conned or pressured, hold your valuables close.)

Happy and safe travels.

clark3 Platinum

grateful for this great travel tutorial!!   c3

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

<<  I also have never found the need for an international drivers license.  And a passport trumps all in terms of identification.>>

The following countries do require an IDP: Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, and Spain. You might not be asked for the IDP in these countries, but technically you're required to have one. Otherwise, you risk being fined.  I know I've had to show it in a couple of these places at the rental car counter.

A passport is not a substitute for an IDP.  The IDP translates your driver's license information into 10 or 12 languages so the local police can understand your license.  You do need to carry your driver's license in addition to the IDP.

If you're going to rent a car, let us know.  There is more info that you should have regarding pickups/dropoff locations and associated costs, cross-border drop off fees, one way drops, vignettes, etc.

Good info, NHM.  Thanks.

How do you get the IDP?

You can get an IDP at any AAA office.  Either bring 2 passport size photos with you or they will take them for you.  Costs about $22 or so.  Valid for a year.

Thanks for the quick and concise reply, Nhm!!

You're welcome, Pluto!  Just happened to be checking email when your message arrived.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

That is where I have gotten mine!

In fact twice, and it was very easy to do, and had no problems using it either.

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

The Vienna Marriott is an excellent hotel with a central location, but we have found it a bit pricey lately . . . so we have been staying at the Renaissance Imperial Riding School and have really enjoyed it.  The concierge lounge is great!

The Figmueller is a must for wiener schnitzel.  Depending on the time of year, you must make reservations a few hours ahead (or have the concierge do it).  It is well worth the wait . . .

tnagent Platinum 1 Reviews

Just back from Vienna - stayed at great small boutique hotel.  Don't miss Cafe Mozart.  Stayed in Marriott in Budapest and was saddened that the stay (at cost as high as the Marriott site) was not credited because it was booked through Delta Vacations with the airfare.  Last time to have that happen!

tnagent,

Do you think a call to Marriott Customer Service can get you the stay credited retroactively?  Might be worth a shot.

Yes, go for it, you have nothing to lose!

tnagent Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank you both for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I called CS before I went ... and received almost rude response.  I fortunately was much better treated by the desk staff who put me in the better location and with lounge access (I was nonstop Marriott last year over six months).  I travel extensively and was very disappointed.. The CS rep would not even communicate my status to Budapest hotel.   I do think I will try again - post trip.  Always helps to hang up and call back to another desk when you get a really bad response!

BTW, the Marriott credit card for international travel is a real plus!  (Also offered by Hilton).  I took both cards as insurance if somehting happened to one.  Just have to call within two weeks of travel to notify the countries you will be travelling.  I include countries for any airport stops, as you never know when you may have a delay that would be better without credit card issues!     

dbmbonthego Platinum 4 Reviews

A little off the track from hotels, but . . . if you go too Budapest again be sure to dine at Cafe Bouchon.  It is a great restaurant behind the Opera.

FYI  . . . the Budapest Marriott was a former Intercontinental and someone was smart in their design because every room faces the Danube!

Also The Cake coffee shop is very good . . . it is between the Budapest Marriott and the Parliament.  It has excellent coffee, cakes, and sandwiches! 

tnagent,

Sorry to hear about the almost rude phone conversation.  I've always had good fortune with Marriott Cust. Svc. Line, thankfully.  Your idea of quitting the conversation and trying again with another (hopefully more courteous and professional) agent sounds like a good strategy for circumventing that sort of thing.  I always book my Marriott stays through Marriott.  Hopefully, you got a good deal even though you missed out on some points.

I have always gotten my Marriott points when I have bought Travelocity packages.

Not sure where to put this so I'll just respond here.

I went to school in Vienna & go back frequently so I put together a Vienna document (things to do, where to eat, etc).  I get asked frequently for it on Flyertalk.  So if someone going to Vienna wants it, PM me or send me an email.  Make sure you put Vienna in the subject line.

Cheers.

skiadcock,

Would you mind copying and pasting it here?  It sounds like it would be a great resource.

It's a long document & changes as I update it, so I prefer to just send it as a word doc via email when asked.

Cheers.

traveller100days Platinum 3 Reviews

I can recommend the Courtyard in Vienna. Close to the public transport and even within walking distance to the "Prater". The rates are good and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I second Jerry's recommendation of the Vienna Marriott. It's as central as you can get and is well served by public transport. It's close to the main shopping promenade, Kartner Strasse, and the huge outdoor food market, Naschmarkt.

The property itself is very comfortable with an excellent lounge.

Mike,

Agree with you.  But?

I am not familiar with some of the newer properties so like you I try to stay where I can be centrally located.  But if there are greater values, wonderful, I just don't know some of these properties.

Love Vienna!

One of my favorite cities!

Stayed at the Vienna Marriott Hotel. Service was fabulous, room was great, wonderful CL! The concierges there were fantastic. They were able to get me tickets to everything I wanted to see, Wagnerian Opera at the Opera House, Vienna Symphony, Vienna Boys Choir, and my all time favorite of course is the Spanish Riding School.

My Must Do List for Vienna

• Sacher Torte at the Hotel Sacher where it originated, preferrably after the opera or symphony, but anytime of day will also do.
    • Tafelspitz [Emperor Franz Josefs favorite dinner] at Plachutta [been in the family for hundreds of years] where they have menus of all different types, or you can just have them bring the cart and show you the options
    • Opera House - see what's playing
    • Spanish Riding School - go see the horses, and hopefully a performance depending on the schedule.  If they are not performing the stud farm is just a couple hours drive south, and really very interesting.
    • Museums
    • Day Trip to Bratislavia, Slovakia - a very pleasant 1 hour drive and your in another country.  Border control is a left over from Soviet days, and interesting to see. Restaurants on the Danube are much cheaper than in Vienna [also in Prague if you have the time]. You get to drive a bit through the Austrian countryside and the Slovakian Countryside and see something more than the touristy part of Vienna inside the ring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachertorte

http://www.plachutta.at/index.php?id=22&L=1

http://viennaoperatickets.com/index.php?p=31&l=2&c=1&gclid=COz-seT43bACFYje4AodDCLtzQ

www.srs.at/en/tradition/the-spanish-riding-school/

http://www.wien.gv.at/english/culture/museums/

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Very useful info on Vienna.  Despite only living just across the English Channel, we have never visited Vienna ... I've just added it to our 'must do' list.  (We are focused on long-haul travel for the next few years and saving Europe until we are 'less able'.)

I was introduced to all of this by my Hungarian mom, so these are time tested for generations. So is the info on what Emperor Franz Josef preferred for dinner and dessert as I recall she said the info came from her grandmother who spent time in Vienna prior to her marriage.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...