14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 6:17 PM by txranger RSS

Which Marriott on Vancouver waterfront???

debbisue Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Looking to stay at one of the two Marriott properties on Vancouver waterfront.  One is a Renaissance (Renaissance Vancouver Harborside) the other a regular Marriott (Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown). Both seem to be right next door to each other and both are ine the same category for reward points.  Does anyone know about them and can recommend one over the other?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Courtyard Ogden
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Renaissance Hotels Ambassador Hotel Oklahoma City, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Which Marriott on Vancouver waterfront???
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I hope you get some responses Debbisue, I'd like to know, also.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Stayed at the Pinnacle two nights last summer for departure for an Alaskan cruise - a terrific property. Excellent staff service with pride in their city and willingness to guide; great location for walking around with nice restaurants nearby, fine fitness facility and pool and (not shown in photos) a fantastic view from the concierge lounge up top (with excellent service and goodies). If you get a rate you're comfortable with - grab it, you can't go wrong. PS- take room key at all times, you need it to use elevator, for all floors.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

That's the same plan I had and enjoyed the Pinnacle.  The location was great and that is the only cruise I have ever been on, and Alaska was very enjoyable as well!

JC,

Do you feel there is a general significant difference between Marriotts and Renaissances?

PP,

Yes, in general, I like the "Uniqueness" of The Renaissance Hotels.  There are too many "Worn out" Marriott properties in the US, but I don't find many Renaissance that I don't enjoy anywhere.

Great question, just my opinion

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Renaissance is a great brand and seems more willing to be of service than many Marriott's.

JC,

I'd have to agree. Many of the Marriotts I've been in over the last few years have been getting long in the tooth.

PP,

I could list a few, but they have mostly been pointed out.  I will just opt for other areas of Marriott properties in those cities.

erc Platinum

First, back to debbisue - As an FYI, we traveled with lifelong (30+ years, who know their stuff) Marriott Hotel employees who stayed at the Renaissance and said it was fine, but did tend to agree that the Pinnacle seemed a small notch better (they hung out in our property), so it seems like you're in pretty good shape either way, strive for the best rate (boy, wouldn't a BOGO go good right now?!).

Now to the Marriott vs. Renaissance comparison, with the occasional upset like Vancouver, I agree with JC,PP,and SS, the Renaissance just seems to try (and accomplish) harder. Just back from a San Juan trip where I stayed at both  Renaissance La Concha and SJ Marriott Stellaris and the Renaissance won hands down. Both properties were fine, but Renaissance seemed 'crisper', in check-in, Platinum awareness, poolside service, restaurant quality, baggage handling, and general overall interest in serving the consumer. This is not the first time I have noticed their pep in their step compared to the Marriott properties. I have an upcoming Chicago trip where I'll get to compare Mag Mile to Blackstone, I'll keep you posted.

Renaissance was associated with another now defunct lodging concern in the past, Stouffers I think, and has a unique outlook on service and accommodations--to the advantage of the traveler. The welcome is always sincere, the rooms excellent, the food ditto, and the people are incredibly nice in all the ones which I have frequented.

jbmartinez Silver 1 Reviews

Had a conference in April 2011 in Vancouver and husband and myself flew in early and stayed at the Pinnacle for a couple of days.  It is a great property with great staff.  Location is great - you can walk to reataurants, shopping, etc.

If you get a suite as we have the Pinnacle is superb!

txranger Platinum 11 Reviews

We stayed in the Marriott Pinnacle last summer and it is a beautiful property.  Request a view over the harbor and you won't be disappointed.  The only drawback to the property was that the concierge lounge was frequently crowded at breakfast.  The Pinnacle is very new and clean.  The Renaissance hotel is across the street from the Pinnacle, so there is not benefit from either property as far as location goes.  The Renaissance appeared to be much older and outdated compared to the Pinnacle, so I would definitely recommend the Pinnacle.  Have fun!

Location Brand Hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...