7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2015 4:48 PM by franke RSS

Beware Marriott's "Encore" program!

conman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Big Marriott fan here, don't get me wrong. Platinum for years and owner of 2 weeks timeshare at Ko Olina, Hawai'i: awesome place! However, when there, we bought an extra week stay via the so-called "Encore" program. About $1,600 or so, for a 1BR villa, not a bad deal. However: come to find out I don't get Elite Night credit or even points! After an email exchange all the way up to a MVCI VP, Marriott sticks to the line that it is a "wholesale package" and does not qualify. Sure, when you buy something third party or via a questionable tour operator I know and get that - but this was a Marriott product directly sold to us by a Marriott Sales Associate while staying at a Marriott Property. Needless to say, this was completely unexpected! In addition, I had counted on these 7 paid Elite nights to reach my MegaBonus qualifier, so now that too is out the window. Also needless to say, their efforts to entice us to buy more Marriott timeshare weeks or points did not work... We had a great stay but feel a tad bitter about this lack of credit which was never disclosed in advance. I've lost this battle it seems and I just wanted to alert my fellow Marriott fans out there to "Beware the Encore Package"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beware Marriott's "Encore" program!
    jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks for the heads-up...I have always been dubious about buying timeshares (and do not own any) and this only re-enforces that feeling!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Sorry to hear that Marriott has another example that waters down their programs. They wouldn't have done it if they weren't trying to fill some rooms.....so why penalize your best customers?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Conman,

That flat out stinks. Many, many , many things about Marriott are great. Most of the time they are a first rate organization. This episode was not their finest hour.

mrbei Platinum

Agree, bad idea to market these packages to owners / guests if they are not going to get points and stay credit - after all isn't that what encourages continued loyalty to Marriott?

menos2006 Platinum

Conman -

I appreciate your note - they just did the same thing to us. I had counted on the 7 nights to renew my Platinum status this year and came to find out the same as they don't count it - and share your sentiment.

Wish I had seen this on the boards earlier...

Thanks anyways!

zzzyzz Gold

I am also having problems with Marriott's Encore program. You mentioned a VP that you contacted. Do you still have that contact info.?? Would really appreciate.

thanks,

RB

franke Gold 4 Reviews

Thanks for heads up. I'm also time share owner who thought about buying more weeks. I'll put that program on same list as vacations by Marriott . Shame to get penalized for trying to be loyal to Marriott .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...