19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2012 12:07 PM by anadyr Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Delights in the former Steel City

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Al,

Keep the good posts coming!

I would never imagined that this Pittsburgh "Hamburger Haven", would have attracted so much attention.  But it sure deserves it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Re: Great "Hamburger Bar" down the street from Pittsburgh Renaissance
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

One of the many delights in the former Steel City!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Former Steel City is right, you have to cross the state border to find any real steel production these days, and the U.S. Steel Building downtown is mostly rented out to UPMC health systems!

Carson Street is not what it used to be--my grandparents lived on 24th and Granpop worked at what was USS. Others were J&L guys, and all were hard drinkers for sure.  Most of their checks went to saloons at the foot of the mills

I hear ya SS! I have heard many stories from my relatives about that. After high school I had a job welding fro a couple years (big coal mine chutes) down in Glassport, and we would hit the watering hole on occassion ourselves! One dirty job!

Sorry I have not been around on the forum much, so busy with work. I hope things are well for you and the rest of the gang! - Al

I hear ya SS! I have heard many stories from my relatives about that. After high school I had a job welding fro a couple years (big coal mine chutes) down in Glassport, and we would hit the watering hole on occassion ourselves! One dirty job!

Sorry I have not been around on the forum much, so busy with work. I hope things are well for you and the rest of the gang! - Al

Glad you are back!  I never did get mill time, wasn't even talented enough to get broom duty, which buddies did, at USS or J&L

Thanks my friend. Next stop will be the Marriott Resort, Sanibel Island, Florida this coming Friday. Heard pros and cons, mostly good. Got a great rate as I booked 3 months ago. I will raise heck and more then likely get some sort of upgrade. It is SOP for me anymore. Are you back from Europe?

I was so underpaid for being a non-union welder as a teenager. We used to get so dirty, I remember using 3 Q-Tips per ear to get the dirt out AFTER I showered!

I would have preferred broom detail!

Hope you are well.

Al

Al,

Thanks for using so many Q-Tips!

I spent 10 years working for Chesebrough- Ponds, and selling Q-tips.  That was my "Handle" on the CB!

Thanks for staying in touch!

That is too funny Jerry!

Ever since I was a kid, I would freak out withouy Q-tips after a shower, and still do. It is like priority in terms of what I pack first for any upcoming trip.

As far as I am concerned, it would be a good and stable stock investment, as I do not know what I would do without them. I do not feel right all day, like there is something in my ears or whatever, without using Q-Tips.

I know this sounds like a personal problem/issue, and probably (definately) is, but what can I say? LOL!

Nice to hear your trip was safe, and you are doing well! - Al.

Q-tips referred to something else when my parents lived in Florida

SS,

We also marketed Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, before I was "Jerrycoin", I was "The Vaseline Man."  Can you imagine the jokes and stories people told me?

People would put it under their "Ice cube trays" to keep them from sticking to their freezer.  That is just the start of a long, long list!

As I use this computer, I have FOX news on mute, and have the radio on as well.  The topic of the day is "Career changes" that are demanded in today's market.  I think I have already experienced that over the past couple of decades.

You really have Jerry.  I recall a joke about a newlywed and Vaseline but can't rally post here since it is a double entendre kind of thing and would certainly raise an eyebrow or two.

I have had some interesting career highlights:

1. As a 13 year old I worked as a spy for my Dad at a Bard's store (dairy) checking on employees attendance and work habits.
                      2. As a 15 year old I worked washing cars and renewing chrome on the bumpers for another company.  No driving though.
                      3. As a 16 year old I had a short stint at Gimbel's Department Store wrapping packages for delivery to homes.  I got let go after a week.
                      4. Summer's in High School I also worked as a laborer at the local park, doing whatever and getting a nice tan!

Yep, we have all had interesting lives

Jerry is just back from UK, me from Denver.  Broom was about all I qualified for

Sorry.SS! You were not in Europe, what in the heck was I thinking! LOL!

I need to sit down with a compass and get my bearings.

And no, I have not been drinking! LOL!

It is very comical I must admit!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...