6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2012 2:16 AM by absolutelegend1 RSS

London Olympics Anyone?

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Is anyone attending the Olympics in London this year? If so, are you staying at a Marriott property? For Cash or Points? Are the rates outrageous or reasonable?

Also, what events do you plan on taking in live?

• Re: London Olympics Anyone?

I guess very few on here are taking the trip.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

PP,

It might be something to see it on TV, but I would not go. It will be a "Nightmare" according to many London cab drivers!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Is there a mood of civic pride, JC? Are the merchants anticipating huge opportunities for profits?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Actually, most people were really down on the Olympics. A whole lot of people are leaving during that period.  People who can leave, like retirees, are going away for a holiday.  Now I don't know how much of what I heard is true, but I also heard some of the theatres are closing because they do not think there will be an interest from locals who are not wanting to go out during the Olympics.

According to the news GB is still in a recession, and $10 gallon gas is not healthy.

Hope we get some feedback on your questions from some of our MI who live in the London area.

absolutelegend1 Platinum 2 Reviews

I don't live in London but I work there from Mon through to Fri most weeks.  From what I can tell most people are really excited now about the games themselves, but also anticipating the forthcoming travel nightmare - public transport is expected to be at full stretch.

In light of this I'm planning on working as normal for a week (if I can physically make it into the office), then I'm shooting off on holiday somewhere else for the other couple of weeks.  I work in the City and all offices etc. around me are open for business as per usual.

The Marriott's and virtually all other hotels have put their rates up and asking for pre-payment, so hotel availability for me was a real issue.

I do have tickets for a couple of events, but both of which aren't in London so shouldn't be too much of an issue attending, providing I can talk my girlfriend into attending Olympic football / soccer with me

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...