11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2012 7:08 PM by anadyr RSS

A bit of history

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was just perusing the 1940 US Census, now on line and found my Mom's family and other information.  In looking for my Dad's I discovered that his father, my grandfather, was a Cooper who made beer barrels for this local and no longer operating brewery called M. Winter Brothers. Amazing what you'll find with a few clicks these days!

winter.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
  • Re: A bit of history
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

sounds like you come from good stock steppingstones.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I'll drink to that!!!!

Welcome back Jasper!  Wish you'd been here more often.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Is there a connection with the S. S. at the end of the address?

wish there were!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

Can you share with us the web site where you found this information.  This is fascinating.

The brewery or the census Jerry?

For starters I used the LDS Genealogy site which is free and also the 1940 census data from NARA.  I then tried to see from data om these two if there were links to the last name elsewhere since I got an address from the census.  House numbers have changed over the years and my memory of them was weak.  Google helped  little, since I could be more specific.  If you are near one of the Family History Centers run by Mormon Churches, they are very helpful in searching too.

Census, Thanks!

It is a long slog with the 1940 census and knowing an exact address leads you to several scanned, handwritten, but not indexed pages.  It can be done even by someone like me with limited intelligence.

SS,

You are way to "Modest", we talked about you and your contributions to MI (In a positive way!), with every MI I have met.  Keep up the good work!

Blushing here in cloudy Monterey, but thanks Jerry!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...