7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 3:33 PM by misteredf RSS

Chase marriott Visa rewards "bonus points" question.

misteredf Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello ...

I currently have a Chase Marriott Visa card.  I was awarded "bonus" points to my Marriott rewards account when i opened it.  If I close my Chase Marriott Visa account will the "bonus points" be removed from my Marriott rewards account?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Chase marriott Visa rewards "bonus points" question.
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

How long has the account been open? Not sure that matters, but it might.

Since the points are deposited into your MR account and not a Chase account, I'm guessing you'll keep the points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jess Gold 2 Reviews

Sometimes, the simplest approach is best. As pluto77 suggests, contact Marriott Rewards customer service and ask them. "Hi. I got the Visa Rewards card and received the bonus points. I've decided that I really don't need the card after all, but I don't want to lose the points. Can you tell me if I can close the Visa now without losing the points?"  They'll tell you.

You also may want to consider calling Chase and asking them the same thing. Not because they'll necessarily be the best source for information on this, but the same question might get you a response like, "If we offered you another 25,000 points, would you be interested in keeping the account open?"

I don't know that Chase will react that way, but Amex did that once when I was going to close a Delta Skymiles card. No harm trying!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I believe once the points are in your Marriott Rewards account then they do not take them out when you cancel the card.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Points are only taken back for credit card purchases that are disputed and refunded.  Enrollment/Activation bonuses are not taken back.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...