15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2012 7:56 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Treasures in our own backyard

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A popular tourist destination practically in our own backyard is Avery Island.  Located  about 3 hours from New Orleans, 30 minutes from Lafayette, and 10 minutes from New Iberia, Avery Island is home to Tabasco, that famous peppery sauce now found all over the world.  You can take a tour of the factory and enjoy a brief movie which tells the history of Tabasco.  A stop at the gift shop makes it possible to taste many Tabasco products and purchase those you enjoy.  I tried jalapeno ice cream for the first time!  They also have a new flavor, raspberry chipotle, available to try.

Avery Island is also home to the Jungle Gardens.  Egrets, herons, spoonbills, and ibeses make their home in Bird City and each Spring some 20,000 nests are built there.  It is now necessary to bring in more that 30 truckloads of twigs for nesting materials.

Avery Island_447.JPG

Avery Island_469.JPG

Alligators make their homes in the ponds on the Island.  When we pulled up to one of the ponds to take pictures, we were amazed when 7 gators made their way to the shallow water to watch and wait.  We assume they were used to being fed; although, guests are asked NOT to feed them or approach them.   

Avery Island_302.JPG

Avery Island_485.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lafayette, Louisiana, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Lafayette South at River Ranch
  • Re: Treasures in our own backyard
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

razorback,

Very nice, never been there, been close, and this like a great place to drive to!

Read about the the Tabasco operation and have seen it on The Travel Channel.  Have supported Tabasco products for a long time, and actually had some today!

Thanks for the post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Though Siracha Sauce has surpassed Tabasco as my hot sauce of choice I still ;love it

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Once again, some great photos to whet our appetites.  thanks.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Hi Razorback,

I didn't think that we had visited Jungle Gardens on our trip, but you pics show a very familiar scene.  I don't know if you or any of the other MRIs (unfortunate acronym, eh?) are good on plantation homes, but we stayed at one on our trip and cannot recall what it was called ... any ideas ...

DSC00281_edited-1.jpg

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Chris,

That's my house!! I think the neighbors wait to see my car pull out of the drive and rent it out on weekends.

Chris,

Nottoway is the name of the plantation and it is located in White Castle, Louisiana.  It is one of our favorite plantations. We spent a night there as a wedding gift from a group of our bicycling friends.  We went at Christmas and it was just magical. The front porch looks over the levee at the Mississippi River.  There are numerous plantations along River Road that are well worth the visit.  It is certainly time for us to make another visit.

Thanks ... yes, I recall the name now.  We are planning our major trip for 2013 at the moment and are trying to sinc with a trip through some of the southern states at the time of Jazz Fest.  My hope is to fly from New Zealand to Dallas (?) and then do a round trip to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans and then back to Dallas with a number of stop-overs.  I'll be looking for advice soon!

Hi Chris,

Web like all the cities you mentioned.  In fact, we just got back from 5 days in Houston and are currently in New Orleans.  The trip you are are planning sounds like fun.

Oops, that should be We not Web and I don't see any way to edit my mistake.

razorbackfan, that's an interesting observation...can't edit previous posts.  Used to be able to do that, right??? Did that change with the latest edition of Insiders??

I have just edited one of my earlier posts ... the edit button still seems to work for me.

I have been able to edit posts; however, could not edit this reply.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Sometimes I wonder why I can edit or reply, and then realize I have not logged in, or logged out accidentally did not relog in.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I went back to a thread that I created and there was not an edit button there.  And of course, no edit button on any posts where I have replied, such as this one.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Husker, if you create the post, the edit button is normally off to the right margin.... As far as these posts..while your in "Communications" I'm not sure the edit button shows up. If you click on the main title and the whole thread opens up, there usually is an edit button.... I'm sure this isn't new info, just an FYI

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...