9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2014 1:41 PM by FortWorthRealtor RSS

Expedia reservations not eligible for rewards?

infrequent_flyer Member
Currently Being Moderated

I made a reservation at the Marriott Sydney (Australia) Harbour through Expedia.  Serious money, serious rewards: 6 nights, 2426 US$.  It was a refundable, full rate reservation, not a deep discount Expedia deal.  (Why Expedia?  Because I was on a roll making multiple reservation in AU & New Zealand.  Also, Expedia all in US $ which is helpful and convenient.  Because this was big $$, I actually looked on marriott.com, too.  It was the same nightly equivalent in AU $; so I went with Expedia because it was in US $.) 

Gave the hotel my rewards number on arrival and it's in the Marriott receipt.  Added about $US 600 in miscellaneous during stay.  I did find it weird that the Marriott room receipt no where shows the Expedia $$, it just shows six nights paid, but no $$ amount.  At other hotels I've seen the Expedia pre-payment as a credit, and then the nightly room rate is charged against the credit.  

Got rewards for only the $600 misc and no (zero) nights.   That's weird by itself, $600 but no nights.  Sent all receipts (hotel & Expedia) to Rewards, they did a minor adjustment for US $ vs. AU $, but no credit for 6 nights or the $2426. 

I can't find any "Expedia exception" in any of the fine print I have.  Can anyone help?  

I'm not a frequent traveler, but I am a rewards junkie and this is a big loss.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Expedia reservations not eligible for rewards?
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Below is the language found in the Terms and Conditions area for Marriott Rewards (item #8 under Earn Points). I'm not sure if the area that I highlighted in bold applies to your stay. I would call customer support and see if it could work.

• Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com,
      Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, and Hotels.com, as well as operators of opaque
      booking channels such as Priceline and Hotwire are not eligible for Points or
      Elite night credit. In cases where such third party online retailers offer for
      sale “retail” rates that require the guest to pay the hotel directly for the
      stay, provided the online retailer has remitted your Marriott Rewards
      information to the hotel, such stays are eligible for Points or Elite night
      credit. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible for Points or Elite
      night credit regardless of booking source.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

infrequent_flyer Member

Thank you for your answer.  When I came back to this thread, there were links to previous, similar threads.  This comes up regularly as a "screwed again by the fine print" discussion item.  Several writers have said "Goodbye Marriott, Hello Competitor" over this.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

infrequent_flyer,

I would consider this a big loss too.  You would have been well on your way to elite status, not to mention the reward points, especially if you used your Chase Marriott visa card  (you do have one of those, I hope!)  I would contact Marriott Customer Service by phone (M-F) to get these points and nights posted ex post facto.  I interpret the T&C language that pained posted above to read that you are indeed entitled to those points.

Let us know how it turns out.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto,

I'm thinking they may have paid Expedia vs the hotel. If that's the case, they're probably out of luck. It's worth a try though.

alrenaissance Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

What a depressing situation. Did you save enough to justify booking through a source like this?

I am curious for future reference. I have used Orbit\z and Travelocity before, but not an "auction" type site. I have heard too many horror stories, but would appreciate your feedback as to the total savings. Thanks.

infrequent_flyer Member

I looked at marriott.com, also.  Rate was virtually the same, in equivalent Australian $.  Refundable full rate; not a deep-discount web special.   

I used Expedia because:

1)  marriott.com was in AU $, expedia.com was in US $.  No credit card foreign exchange fees on expedia.

2)  The Sydney Marriott would add a 1.5% credit card fee to the total AU $ amount.  This is common, legit & legal in Australia.

So the "bottom line" is that I saved maybe 3-4% in hotel and credit card fees and lost 6 nights and 24,000 points.  I'd rather have the nights & points.  LIve and learn, hosed again by the fine print.  When I came back to this thread, there were links to previous, similar threads.  This happens regularly.  Here's a previous thread:

Re: BEWARE:  REWARDS NOT HONORED IF 3RD PARTY BOOKING TOOL USED

eric007 Gold

I wish I knew this before we booked our vacation online. Being a platinum Marriott member, my decision swayed to Marriott instead of other competitors who offered equal or better deals. I've been noticing these little Marriott policies poping up all over for what they can't do for their loyal customers. so sad...

FortWorthRealtor Platinum

I have been a little disappointed with the platinium elite.  They charge you the higher rate for being a platinium and they really don't treat you any different.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...