24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 6:08 PM by GemPrincess RSS

Chicago Highlights

richva Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am taking my husband to Chicago in June for his birthday.  We already have tickets to a Cubs game but, beyond that, I have not made any other plans.  If anyone has a suggestion for a place we should visit, an activity we should join, or a restaurant where we should eat, I would love to hear about it.  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Springfield
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Oklahoma City Downtown
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Salina
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Omaha Aksarben Village
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Tyler
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Omaha LaVista
Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago O'Hare
Chicago, Illinois, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Chicago
Chicago, Illinois, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Midway
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott O'Hare
  • Re: Chicago Highlights
    petpat Gold
    Chicago is a great walking town. Not sure if you are staying in the Downtown area but walking Michigan Avenue with all the stores on the manificent Mile is nice and shows the great water front and buildings. Centenial park is a great place to walk with the fountain and gardens. If you have never taken a boat ride you should take the one that goes past the locks and out to the lake and back June is great weather for this. And there are always the museums that are spectacular.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

grammy Silver
    Kids and parents love Ed Debevic's......it's a 60's diner where the wait staff sings and dances aswell as serve....fun!

chiguy Silver
    Try D'Agostino's, it's a nice neighborhood pizza place.  Nothing fancy, good food.  They have a killer "Hot Italian Salad."  I go there for the salad and pizza.  It's on the SE corner of Addison and Southport, just 3-4 blocks west of Wrigley.

komodoman Gold

We did the same last summer. We enjoyed the Science and Industry Museum and took an architectural boat tour. The boat tours are easy to find and very interesting (even my 16 yr. old admitted he liked it).

Way too many great restaurants to pick from so, check out the other food sites and ask around. If you like steak, the Chop House is one of the best. There are a ton of others on Rush Street.

Be sure to go to the game early so you can visit some of the local bars.

foodie Silver
    One of my favorite restaurants in Chicago is Rick Bayles's Topolobampo. I frequent the restaurant every time I'm in Chicago.  It's one of the best Mexican restaurants in the US and is consistently outstanding!  Adjoining it is the Frontera Grill which is also a great restaurant.  If you want a unique but expensive dining experience there is always Charlie Trotters.  All three of these restaurants require advanced booking  and are well worth pursuing. 

trvlman4u Platinum
    Go see the play "Wicked".  My wife and daughter throughly enjoyed it.  Also check out the museums and Navy Pier.

billys Platinum
    Try the Archertectural Boat tour leaving from the Navy Pier - Tour goes up the various waterways describing the various buildings. Very imformative and a great way to learn the Chicago history.

travelfun Silver
    I highly recommend dining at Keefer's. Great food and service along with a nice vibe in the evening. 312-467-9525. reservations for sure

ousoonergrl Gold
    The John Hancock Tower has a restaurant, Signature Room @ the 95th, that offers beautiful views and has a fabulous Sunday brunch. 

wine2w84 Silver

For sightseeing I recommend the Field Museum of Natural History and the Shedd Aquarium

If you want a prototypical Old Style Steak House take your man to The Chicago Chop House.  A very nice Italian restaurant is Rosebud.  Then of course you gotta have a deep dish at Pizzaria Uno if you haven't ever had one

chicagodave Silver

It's difficult from your post as to where your interests lie.  For starters, Chicago has excellent museums.  There is the Art Institute of Chicago on Michigan Avenue.  The Field Musuem, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planeterium are close to each other on the lakefront by Soldier Field.  On the south side, there is  the Museum of Science and Industry.  I never get tired of visiting the Museum of Science and Industry.  I was there a couple of months ago and they have new display of the captured WWII U-505.  Its the actual boat they captured and the story behind it.

If you want to be outside, there is Navy Pier along the lakefront.  Navy Pier provides a combination of shops, restaurants, rides, and lakefront cruises.  Also, Chicago has two zoos, the Lincoln Park and Brookfield Zoo.

It fun to visit the Blues Bars Chicago has to offer. Even if shopping isn't your thing, the Magnificent Mile along Michigan Avenue is fun to walk.  The restaurant choices are endless.  It more of where your tastes lie.

The biggest problem you're going to have is having the time to take it all in. 

redne49 Platinum
    I have the same question re: restaruants. We will be visiting Chicago over Easter and will share our experience. 

metalman Silver 1 Reviews
    Museum of Science and Industry  - they have a WWII sub you can actually go into - my favorite

dentaltraveler Silver
    We just spent a week at the Courtyard on Hubbard Street down town. The breakfast was great. Next door is BB's a good inexpensive place for a late night meal or lunch. Free pool table and the soup is great. Across the street is Andy's Jazz club with decent live music and food. Get there before 9PM and cover is free. House of blues is 1 block away and fun for dancing. Roses??? is a great (small) Italian restaurant. Very good and well known by locals. 5.00 cab ride. Pete the door man was fantastic at the Courtyard. All staff was helpful.

danamoore Silver

Go to The Italian Village Restaurant at 22 W. Monroe in downtown. Eat the restaurant on the third floor. Nice little booths, ceiling is painted like clouds, been in business since 1938, waiters speak Italian, food is awesome, wine is great(have a glass or three of the Super Tuscan red!!!!!!!).

There are 3 restaurants in the location, but pick the top floor which is "family style traditional" but is very nice and not too casual.

If you like sushi, go to Japanais restyaurant, located near the river. They have 2 stories and you can go downstairs and sit outside.

Last one is Chicago Firehouse on Michigan Ave. Higher end, nice place(yes a former firehouse).   

waterwalker Silver
    If you want to hit some of the museums on the lakefront, park in the free/safe lot of the Museum of Natural History(my favorite museum), and take the trolley that makes the rounds of all the museums and Millenium Park (a must see)--right downtown.  Go to China town. There's ample free parking, many restaurants--no res needed--and an interesting main drag to walk through.  Greek Town (neighborhood) has many wonderful restaurants.  On the Lakefront, you can rent bikes/in-line skates around Buckingham Fountain.  There are bike/skate/walking trails all along the lake--go north from the Fountain.  Go to Navy Pier, and take the boat ride for fantastic skyline views.  Consider an evening ride.  Go to Lincoln Park Zoo (free)--at Fullerton and the Lake.  The zoo is older, but charming. It's my favorite.  The Lincoln Park Conservatory (free) is right there also.  Great restaurants all around.  The Garfield Park Conservatory (also free) is inland, but it is world famous.  If you're into plants, it's great.  You must eat a Chicago hotdog--optimally: a Vienna all beef hotdog on a steamed, poppyseed bun, with mustard, onions, tomatoes, relish, and picle.  It's a sin to put catsup on a Chicago hotdog.  Many people I've taken to Chicago get a thrill out of riding the el/subway--go north.

felinesue Platinum

If you enjoy zoos, the Lincoln Park Zoo is a wonderful zoo and free. It's on the near north side of Chicago right off the lake. The Shedd Aquarium is one of my favorite spots. Also, you must go up either the Hancock, right off Michigan Ave or the Sears Tower, a bit off the beaten path. The view can't be beat.

nhgrmi Gold

Chicago is a favorite place that we visit about 2x/year.  During the spring and summer you can walk to just about anywhere.  The CTA transit is also a great way to get around.  Buy the 1, 2 or 3 day pass.  You will more than get your money's worth.  It is good on all busses, subways and the EL.  All the lines are marked and color coded.  And the bus drivers are very helpful in letting you know which bus you need. 

We loved Centennial Park in the Summer.  It has a really cool fountain with a wall of water and faces.  And don't forget to buy the Garrett's Popcorn.  The lines can be long, but the wait is worth it.  They have THE best popcorn in the midwest. 

chitownair Silver
    If you have not seen "Jersey Boys" defintely see it in Chicago.  It is a sellout and the cast is supberb.  One of the best (if not the best) steak house is Gibson's on Rush Street.  A must for old world Italian dining is Quartinos.  Marriott has a great hotel right on North Michigan Ave and an equally nice Courtyard just 1 block east of Mich Ave.  Just as in other great cities, there are tons of great restaurants (try Chicago deep dish pizza at UNO's) and summer is fantastic anywhere along the lake front.

martin Gold
    Another highlight is the architectural tour, either by boat on the Chicago river, or by walking.  These are offered by the Chicago Architectural Society

nhgrmi Gold
    Yes, I agree.  I've stayed at the Marriott on the Mag. Mile and the Courtyard and Renissance Inn.  The Fairfield is overpriced for what you get (in Chicago downtown)

soupman412 Platinum

Must do's in Chicago:

Things to do
    Millenium Park ("the bean" + other great artwork)
    Architecture River Cruise (link) - get reservations ahead of time
    Sears Tower observation deck
    Magnificant Mile

Museums
    The Field - amazing if you're into natural history
    The Shedd - if you're into aquariums
    Art Institue - if you're into art (some really great impressionist work + other famous paintings)

Food
    Giordano's - still my favorite deep dish in the city.  The main one is on Rush street.  You'll go, order your food, then come back in an hour to sit and eat.  There's another on Lake street that you'll most likely be able to save a lot of time at.
    Uncommon Ground - on Clark a few blocks north of Wrigley.  Amazing food - very unique yet great combinations.
    Catch 35 - in downtown - good, updscale seafood.

Not Recommended
    Navy Pier - it's supposedly the biggest tourist destination in Chicago, but it's a big tourist trap waste of time. 

debra919 Platinum

Being from Chicago, also, there is a pizza place you do NOT want to miss.  I know the "biggies" are Gino's East, Giordanno's, Eduardo's, etc., but do whatever you have to do to get to AURELIO'S PIZZA.  It is so incredibly good that unless you've ever tried it, you cannot begin to explain it.  It's like explaining chocolate. Unbelievably delicious.

Someone else posted about the transit system.  There is the Metra (which takes you out to the 'burbs--don't think you have to stay in Chicago proper on your vacation!) and then the CTA will take you wherever you want to go.  Pretty much everyone there is friendly and loves to help with directions.

Depending on when in June you go to Chicago, at the end of the month the Taste of Chicago begins and that is where they shut down Columbus Drive and about 70 or so different restaurants setup on the street.  People buy tickets which can be redeemed at the various restaurant booths.  The local radio stations and various entertainers come in and it only costs you the price of the tickets you purchase to buy food! 

There are festivals all summer long in all of the neighborhoods in Chicago.  I suggest you go to CITYSEARCH.COM and check out activities planned for when you are going to be there.  They have food/art/craft/music festivals--again depending on when you'll be there. 

If you go to the Mag Mile, DO NOT MISS GARRETT's POPCORN and get some cheese popcorn and some carmel.  (Believe it or not, the mix of the two is superb).  It's worth the line!

Lunch on the 95th floor of the Hancock is good, too and quite reasonable.  My stepkids LOVED it.  The food is a buffet, but the elevator ride and the views were the "wow" factors for the teens with us.  Dinner gets pricey but lunch (when we were there) was around $10 each--not bad for downtown Chicago.

Oh, and again, if you're on the Mag Mile, check out BANDERA.  It is almost on the corner of Ontario and Michigan--upstairs--south of Ontario and on the east side of the street on Michigan.  Their food is fabulous and they serve both lunch and dinner.

I also would take the architectural "Wendella" boat tour.  Also, check out the Foodnetwork.com's link to $40/day with Rachel Ray and look at her visit to Chicago--she might give you some other ideas on where she went and what she did.

I alway recommend Corner Bakery--local chain for breakfast or a light lunch.  They are scattered 'round town.  You should be able to enjoy al fresco dining in many places, too, if that is a treat for you.

Enjoy your trip--don't forget to check out the CTA's website--I recently went back home to Chicago on business, bought my CTA pass before I got there, and had free transportation for the whole week I was there. 

Hope this was helpful!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Springfield
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Oklahoma City Downtown
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Salina
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Omaha Aksarben Village
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Tyler
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott ExecuStay Courtyard Omaha LaVista
    Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
    Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago O'Hare
    Chicago, Illinois, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Chicago
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott at Medical District/UIC
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Midway
    Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott O'Hare

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...