9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 2:22 PM by chrisf RSS

NE Road Trip

bostonbucko Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am looking to put together a road trip for the family. My wife and I and 2 girls (12 and 14). A couple of years ago we drove to Albany to stay at a Courtyard. We then made a day trip to Cooperstown to the Baseball Hall of Fame (all are redsox fans). We had a great time and stopped at Howe Cavern on the way back to Albany. The cavern tour was not planned but a lot of fun. This trip was easy on the budget.

I would like to plan another road trip and am looking for destinations. I am on the MA/NH border near Nashua and would like to keep the driving to 4 -5 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Augusta, Maine, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta
Auburn, Maine, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Auburn
Brunswick, Maine, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Brunswick Freeport
Portland, Maine, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront
  • Re: NE Road Trip
    cnytraveler Platinum
    While you may go a bit further than your five hours, I'd strongly suggest Watkins Glen, and the Corning Glass Works.  If you have more time, check out the many wineries, and Taughannock Falls, one of the highest waterfalls east of the Rockies.  You could easily spend a couple days in the Finger Lakes region.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

glorydaze Silver
    Have you been to the Casco Bay region of Maine? Boothbay Harbor has alot for the whole family. Nearby is the city of Bath where the Bath Iron Works builds ships for the Navy. The Maine Maritime museum is fantastic!

mrgeee Platinum

Have you been to Freeport, Maine? I assume Bar Harbor is farther than you wish to drive, if not, go there! If BH is to far, stick to Freeport. Our daughters are now grown and out on their own, but as teens, even they enjoyed that area.

They have a great visitor center or chamber of commerce that describes the varrious and many things to do. www.freeportusa.com

Or the towns site at:  www.freeportmaine.com

Have fun, don't spend to much $$ shopping and eat some lobster for me!

There actually is a great seafood place, right on th edock out of town..... sorry I do not recall the road, but I am sure a local can point the way for you. It is a "seafood shack" adjacent to th ecommercial fishing pier.

puttinwedge Gold
    Bar Harbor, Maine is excellent if you have never been there.  There are no Marriott hotels in the region however I do not think.  If you happen to be traveling through Syracuse, I highly recommend the new Renaissance there.  Also, I highly recommend the Marriott Niagara Falls near Buffalo on the Ontario side.  Request a room of with falls view, its spectacular.

ormiston Gold
    Try Rhode Island. Not too far from you,and lots to do there. City life in Providence is amazing safe to walk around and Waterfire on select Sat. nights in summer is not to be missed. Bonfires set on the river that runs thru downtown,beautiful music truly a unique event and it's free.  It can be seen from the windows of the downtown Courtyard. Other Marriott lodging outside of city, south county airport area, where it's easy to take day trips from. It's a great place to set up a base and in 2 hrs or less you ca go to Boston,Cape Cod, Newport, cruise to Block Island, New Bedford whaling musuem just to name a few. Within 30 min. drive Battleship Cove Fall River beaches everywhere. 

ritzham Silver
    I second the recommendations for Walkins Glen and the Corning Glass Museum.  I'm been on trips to both places with children and grandchildren. At the glass museum one can do more than view.  There are opportunities to work in glass for both children and adults, but there is a separate charge.  Our children paid for a weekend for my wife and I working in glass.  We made paperweights in colors which we later gave as presents.

tkonthego Platinum
    If you end up in the Fingerlakes Region (as the suggestion was posted earlier), you should stay at The Del Monte Lodge, A Renaissance Hotel & Spa in Pitttsford which is right outside of Rochester. I know you have children, but it is one of the BEST Renaissance Hotels I have stayed at!

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Location Brand Hotel
    Augusta, Maine, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Augusta
    Auburn, Maine, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Auburn
    Brunswick, Maine, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Brunswick Freeport
    Portland, Maine, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront
      chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks for re-surfacing this series of posts, GemP ... looks an interesting trip for a future visit.  I missed the original posting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...