8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 5:58 PM by nuhusker RSS

Do we want consistency, quality or both?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recall that in the 1950's and 60's in the USA Holiday Inn was king of the hill,, and based that status on being consistent--every HI looked like every other one, with drop in a quarter Magic Fingers beds, small TVs, a clock radio, and other amenities and no variance from location to location.  Competition and failure to innovate doomed HI to less than top spot, and now it is a morphed brand, not what it was.  Remember Howard Johnsons'? Same fate.

Are we seeing the same thing with Marriott? Are we comfortable with the consistency that Marriott offers and are we forgiving Marriott for failure to keep up with the competition.  I have posted previously that Ithink rewards programs have a corrosive effect, in that they push points while reducing benefits.  Holiday Inn did not have a loyalty program, there were not points, just good lodging at what was a fair price in the good old days.

Are we being taken for granted here?  Sometimes I wonder.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Do we want consistency, quality or both?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

SS,

You bring back a lot of memories, again.  I remember how enthused I was to look forward to staying at a Howard Johnson.  But in the late 70's they were on their way out and it was sort of sad.  My favorite Ho-Jo, was in Souix Falls, SD.  It had the beamed ceilings and was a great hotel

Now as far as HI, they had a great loyalty program.  In the early 80's if you stayed 75 nights you got a free room for one week, anywhere in the world for TWO people.  I won two and went to Paris and then Hong Kong.  It was in 1983 that I switched from HI to Marriott.  The rest is history. 

Today, my second choice, when I can't get a Marriott property is Hilton Garden Inn, and then Hampton Inn.  Their service and cleanliness is very good.

Again, thanks for reminding me of the "Good old days"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Good memories Jerry--the promotions were great

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Consistency and quality should be the base of any comparison in properties. Both characteristics are necessary to get my business.  That said, a good nights sleep, and points awarded for my loyalty are my top requirements.  I do not feel taken advantage of at all at Marriott, and I know there are plenty of alternatives if I ever do.

safe travels

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Have you seen the "new" Holiday Inn model?  One opened about 3 years ago in West Des Moines and took a lot of the Wells Fargo business from the nearby Marriott.  I stayed there for one night and it was every bit as nice as any cat 4 marriott I've been to.  I understand they opened, and maybe still are opening, a lot of the newer ones across the country.

I have not.  what name do they go under?

Holiday Inn.  Sorry, by saying new model, it may have been confusing.  But they're nice just the same.

looks nice!  I have not seen one.  The last holiday In I stayed at was in the early 80's.  Does anyone else remember the HOLIDOME concept???  These were the Holiday Inn's with the massive indoor pool/recreation area's. 

There's still a holidome in central Omaha.  I think each of our children with fall and winter birthdays had a party there.  And I stayed a couple of nights in a holidome in the mid 80"s in Marion, IL.

Being the big spender that I have always been, my wife and I spent our honeymoom at a holiday inn in jacksonville, Fl.  One reason...they accepted the Gulf Oil credit card.  They had a great pool, cold beer, and there was a Denny's next door with an all you could eat buffet.  What a deal!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...