29 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2012 11:18 PM by eb5147 RSS

Autograph Collection - The Saint Hotel, New Orleans

kingkamea Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I don't normally do this, but I'm sorry this is NOT a catagory 6 hotel. Not only does it not qualify as a luxury hotel, I'm not sure it should qualify to be a Marriott affliated property.

This is a description from the Marriott hotel website;  The 166-room, 8-story Saint Hotel includes 320 sq. ft. modern guest rooms; 1450 sq. ft. of meeting and special event space; Sweet Olive, a modern restuarant created by Chef Michael Stoltzfus; the Burgundy Bar offering live jazz; and Halo a rooftop bar and lounge with panoramic views of downtown New Orleans.

Sounds nice right? Well, how would you think this hotel is, only after you check in, you find out that these Marriott advertised amedities simply do not exist. Not only, does the rooftop bar not exist, but as of a week ago, it was not under construction. It was slated to be completed by Spring 2012, when the hotel opened. According to the front desk personnel, it is slated to be completed in the Fall of 2012.

When I went to breakfast this morning, I found out that apparently, the Sweet Olive restaurant has been "taken over" by the hotel staff, and trust me when I say, The Sweet Olive, as it is today, wouldn't qualify as a "Denny's" restaurant, let alone five-star, signature cuisine dining establishment.

I am extremely concerned that Marriott has made a MAJOR mistake by allowing this property to "flagged" as a Signature Collection Marriott property. Doesn't Marriott realize the amount of damage that this causes to their brand? Not only has this property failed to meet the Marriott standards for excellance, but it is my professional opinion that by Marriott allowing it to continue to falsely represent the hotel's admenities on a Marriott-controlled website consistutes FRAUD. In the past, whenever a property is "Under Construction", disclaimers are noted on the hotel's website. No such disclaimer exists on this website.

I realize that this post might not gather much attention, but I'm quite positive my after stay survey will! Sorry, but this hotel is a MAJOR disappointment, so BUYER BEWARE!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
  • Re: Autograph Collection - The Saint Hotel, New Orleans
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Wow,  Were there any apologies for the shortcomings offered by the GM? This sounds like a major screw up.

We love New Orleans. Have spent many nights and dollars at four different properties there over the last ten years. We're due for a return in the fall. I'll make sure to stay at one of our old standby's...the Renaissance Pere Marquette, the JW, or the Renaissance in the Arts District.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

No, and I guess that's another one of my concerns. It appears to me that the property "missed" it's scheduled opening date, and requested waivers from Marriott for the property's shortcomings, specifically the lack of a pool and rooftop lounge. I feel that there should be a disclaimer on the Marriott website that indicates the hotel is either "under construction" or indicates that the advertised amenities are not available at this time.

The biggest concern that I have is the detrimental effect that this will have on upscale business travelers. I have stayed at a number of Marriott's signature properties, and I'm sorry but in my mind, this is not even close to being a signature property. Maybe, after the hotel is finished, but if the franchisee is allowed to continue in this manner, what assurance does the business traveler have that this property will ever be completed as advertised?

I normally stay at the Renaissance Arts. I feel that it is hands down one of the best Marriott properties in New Orleans. Also, I enjoy the Marriott Lakeway and I have stayed at almost every Marriott property in the New Orleans market. (I might have missed a Courtyard or two!)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks for the posting. I was considering this hotel for a stay this summer and will now choose another. Appreciate the heads up!

tuono07 Platinum

I also stayed a the Saints and was dissapointed. This hotel opened early last December and as I remember was not affiliated with Marriott but due to low resevation rates managent decided to sogn on to Marriott and get some of the advantages of the Marriott name. After staying in a few other Autograph properties (Ashville excellent) it's clear that this property does live up to the rating!!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

I am discouraged to read this review because we have a couple of upcoming reservations at this hotel.  I was really looking forward to staying there.  Next time we go to New Orleans I will definitely check it out even if we are not staying there.  There are so many nice Marriott properties in New Orleans that I always have a hard time deciding where to stay.  (The rates usually determine where we stay.)

I'm sorry if I've spoiled your plans, that was not my intent. I think that when this property is finished, it will be an very nice hotel. My point is that it isn't finished, and there are no disclaimers on the hotel's website controlled by Marriott. The rooms are nice and the mood in the hotel is very ecletic. In my mind, the property today, it is not a Signature class hotel, and I truly hope that this changes!

king, you didn't spoil our plans at all.  I'm sure we will be in New Orleans prior to our reservations at The Saint and I'll have a chance to check it out. 

Thanks.! I didn't want to complicate your life any more, being an Arkansas fan these days, your life is tough enough! LOL!

Yes, the last few weeks have been tough.  I still have faith in the team and hope that they will have a great season.  Their success is much more important to me than whether or not the fans are happy.  It seems like the new interim coach is well respected by the players.  I'm a Saints fan, too, so that makes football season even tougher.  Our reservations at The Saint are for football week-ends.  I even tried to make reservations for the Super Bowl, but just couldn't justify $999 or $1099 a night (and those were at properties in Metairie.

patrick3 Platinum

My experiences were much the same.   My stay on July 31 was a complete letdown.   I looked forward to staying in another of the Signature Collection Hotels, as they have always lived up to my expectations.   As I was checking out, I left a list of items that did not work in the room.   I asked that I be called by the GM.   I later called the GM and left a message.   I am still waiting for that phone call.  

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This is good info.  I almost stayed there last May and the price changed during what would have been my stay.  I was not happy with that. I called to find out if they would give breakfast on Sat or Sun and they said no.  That did it.  I stayed elsewhere and had a free breakfast.  I am glad that I didn't stay there after reading the posts.

theseeker888 Platinum

One of my stay was a brand new location just opened Guangzhou Marriott Hotel Tianhe,China.  They are slated to be open with everything ready in July 2012 but when I get to the location the pool and spa is still under "constructions".  For this the hotel upgraded me to a larger room with an excellent view of the city.  On top of that they provided me with "Free all drinks in the Bar Fridge".  Also when I checkout they given me a discount of $100 plus 1000 bonus point on top.  Compare to what you experience I would count myself very lucky but I think you should voice your concern to Marriott Customer Service they might be able to provide you with some compensation.

theseeker888 Platinum

Needless to say I will visit that property again when they are fully furnished . But if you want customer service  check out my recent experience at the HK Skycity property :- Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel . Now I call that service !!

bruman Platinum

I'm heading to New Orleans for St. Patrick's Day '13.  Considering staying at The Saint or Renaissance. Any thoughts?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...