Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2012 3:01 PM by nuhusker RSS

Reward Reservations changed, up 50% without notification?

nreyes Silver
Currently Being Moderated

We are not happy that Marriott changed our reservation, especially without notifying us.  We had booked a hotel that was 20,000 points a night and when we went to check the reservation a month and a half later, we noticed that Marriott changed the point requirement on an existing reservation to 30,000 points a night.  We understand that this your program and you can do as you wish but this is very poor customer service.  If you are going to raise the points then do it to new reservations, not existing reservations.

We have cancelled the reservation because we refuse to pay a 50% increase.  We have lost our trust in Marriott hotels!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Reward Reservations changed, up 50% without notification?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

nreyes -- I had a similar experience recently with an upcoming reservation I had made for our daughter and her family using my points.  At the time I made the reservation, the hotel was a cat 4.  Then, during the recent category changes, the hotel was upgraded to a cat 5.  In the meantime, I added a crib request to the reservation on line, and when I went back later to view it, I saw that the number of points had increased from 20k to 25k each night and the additional points had been deducted from my account.  So I called Marriott Rewards Customer Service and after much frustration on my part and being told by the rep that the additional points would be put back into my account after the stay was completed, I finally got a supervisor to put the points into my account immediately, and also again after the stay concludes.  Pain in the rear, but successful outcome.  Now that you've cancelled your reservation, it may be too late to keep it at the old point value.  Good luck with whatever you do and where ever you stay.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Thanks for the warning guys.  This is definitely not helping Marriott's integrity image.  I can understand categories changing but not for existing bookings! 

chrisf -- I saw the problem more as a computer programming issue.  After speaking with the Marriott Rewards Customer Service supervisor, I didn't get the impression that Marriott was trying to pull a fast one...but I must admit that initially I already had them convicted and ready for the gallows!  Things like that just annoy the heck out of me, probably more due to my lack of understanding of how the computer works than anything.  And, no, I am not interested in learning...

nreyes Silver 2 Reviews

You are being very kind to Marriott.  Let's just say this is merely a programming issue, then that makes this an even greater issue!  This is a very basic computer programming parameter to program. It would be extremely odd that an unintended mistake like this would actually take place in the corporate world of Marriott! 

Sorry nreyes, no particular intention on my part to be kind to anyone.  Just giving my two cents worth based on what my actual experience was.  Anyway, you lost me at "basic computer programming parameter to program."

Maybe I'm missing something here ... it wouldn't surprise me!  I thought that the 'community manager's" response was that reservations made where the category had 'increased' would be honoured but where the category had 'decreased', we could follow the suggested route and get the better rate.  Is this right or is it just 'wishful thinking' on my part?

nreyes Silver 2 Reviews

Thanks for your reply!  Normally we would have done the same as you but since this was such a significant change in points we chose to cancel and not deal with the aggravation, phone calls and constant monitoring of points.  Using points should not be this difficult!  Glad you were successful with contacting them.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I wasn't aware that the category change would be applied to existing reservations. If this is in fact the case, it's simply bad business.  What would happen if a person saved up their points, booked when they hit the threshold needed, and didn't have enough points to cover the change? I'm sure there are people in that situation. Would Marriott just cancel on them? Would they be forced to make up the difference in $$?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Changes to hotel categories did go into effect on March 15 although reservations made prior to March 15 will be honored at their previous category. If you have an existing redemption reservation at a hotel that is decreasing in category, you may call Marriott Rewards® Customer Support at 801-468-4000 or http://www.marriott.com/meetings/rewards/travel.mi to adjust the reservation.

For reference, here's some more information on the hotel categories https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/community/news-promotions/blog/2012/02/27/marriott-rewards-2012-hotel-category-changes

That is an excellent and very clear answer ... thanks.

nreyes Silver 20 Reviews

Why would Marriott even make a change to an existing reservation?  Why would Marriott place the burden on the customer to first catch the change, secondly to place the proper multiple calls to fix the up charge, and third to make sure the account is properly credited?

Not very good Customer Service and that is putting it nicely!  This is a pretty deceptive process you want your customers to follow if they want a continued benefit from your reward program!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

From the posts here, it appears that so long as a member makes their reservation prior to the effective date that a given hotel will bump up to the next category level, the reservation will stay (be honored) at the lower point level.  It also seems evident from the comments here (as well as from comments on similar blogs related to this topic) that so long as a member leaves their reservation alone (doesn't make any changes at all to a reservtion, such as Huskers crib request), they will be fine.

Did you perhaps make some sort of change to your reservation, however minor?

Regardless, I must say that I don't see what happened as deceptive or intentional at all.  It does indeed sound like a programming bug, and the bug needs to be fixed (or squashed .)  Personally, I'd call Marriott and ask them to give me back my reservation at the old rate.  I don't see that as a hassle.  Mistakes do happen.  Marriott has always been helpful when I've made my own reservation mistakes, and they've always done a terrific job at correcting their own mistakes, in my experience.  I've had terrific experiences with the folks on the elite customer service line.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

From the posts here, it appears that so long as a member makes their reservation prior to the effective date that a given hotel will bump up to the next category level, the reservation will stay (be honored) at the lower point level.  It also seems evident from the comments here (as well as from comments on similar blogs related to this topic) that so long as a member leaves their reservation alone (doesn't make any changes at all to a reservtion, such as Huskers crib request), they will be fine. 

Did you perhaps make some sort of change to your reservation, however minor?

Regardless, I must say that I don't see what happened as deceptive or intentional at all.  It does indeed sound like a programming bug, and the bug needs to be fixed (or squashed .)  Personally, I'd call Marriott and ask them to give me back my reservation at the old rate.  I don't see that as a hassle.  Mistakes do happen.  Marriott has always been helpful when I've made my own reservation mistakes, and they've always done a terrific job at correcting their own mistakes, in my experience.  I've had terrific experiences with the folks on the elite customer service line.

nreyes Silver 25 Reviews

There was no change to the original reservation of any kind.

You are correct that Marriott will honor the original points.  They have now emailed us and offered the original reservation at the original points.  They did do the right thing!

Will continue to use Marriott and am currently staying @ one of their properties!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...