10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 9:48 PM by nuhusker RSS

Space Shuttle Discovery

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Did any of you on the East Coast get to see Discovery's final "flight" this morning as it was flown from Kennedy Space Center to its' new home at the Smithsonian?  It's about time for us to return to Washington D. C., so I think we'll need to explore when the new exhibit featuring this shuttle will open.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Space Shuttle Discovery

I just got to view Discovery's Final Landing live on the nasa.gov website.  You could also hear the conversation between the tower and the pilot of the 747.  I was reading an article about the flight on the MSN homepage and there was a twitter link to the NASA site.  Sure wish I could have seen the event in person, but this was great coverage.  We were fortunate to view the launch of STS-132 almost 2 years ago and have great memories of that launch.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Take a look at the view of the shuttle from the JW Marriott Washington, DC earlier today!

JW-DC-shuttle.jpg

Awesome picture.  Did you take it, Andy?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Unfortunately I didn't personally catch a glimpse - that photo is from the Marriott International Facebook page. If I had realized it would have been visible from so many places downtown, I would have tried to snap a pic myself. I'll have to check it out at the Smithsonian when that opens.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

Amazing pic ... look like we shall have to do another trip across the pond this year to see Discovery in situ.  What's the weather generally like in DC in October?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

In my opinion, the Fall weather is the best!  Maybe, maybe, a long sleeve shirt in the daytime and my wife would probably use a sweater at night, but it's great.  I love Washington DC, but visiting there in the middle of summer (I'll be there in June) can be rough...high temps and humidity both of which seems X 2 with all the concrete.  I hope you make it over soon!  Enjoy!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Super cool.

I didn't see the Discovery over DC yesterday, but I did see the piggy-backed Enterprise on the ground at the Cologne, FRG air show in 1983.  And then in 1989, at Offutt AFB, NE, we had the piggy-backed Columbia land and take-off after a couple of hours on the ground.  Good stuff!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Husker,

The closest I've ever been to a U.S. Space Shuttle was when I enjoyed seeing the Space Shuttle Pathfinder (mock up) at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL.

I'm so glad you mentioned Cologne.  Because I wanted to mention how very much I want to visit France's National Air and Space Museum.  There's no shuttle there, but still good stuff.

Back when I went to Cologne (Koln) it was the capitol of West Germany.  The other big deal I remember about this city is the huge cathedral.  The oldest ??, or maybe one of the oldest, in western Europe.  And the best beer and schnitzel of course.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...