23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2012 9:33 PM by lone6star RSS

A primer on how not to be greeted at check-in

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Checked in to the Denver area Courtyard and asked about upgrades:  Answer, nope, no keystrokes no conversation.  Points? I said yes, it was noted.

Got to room and the TV was missing many channels, and the a/c seems to be dying a slow death.

Told the front desk on the way to a meeting--same associate, her comment was "gee, most of our TVs work fine? Are you sure? (yes I am").  I guess someone could look at it.

Turns to the office, "Hey is Steve here?"  no answer.  Finally a person walks by, "where's Steve?" she asks him.  Meanwhile I ask if the TVs are HDTV?  "I have no idea" was her response.

OK, I tell her please check on the a/c and the TV.  She sighs, OK, and goes back to not checking anyone else in.

Let's grade this performance on a scale of 1 to 10.  I am guessing 1 or 2.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Denver Park Meadows South, Colorado, USA
  • Re: A primer on how not to be greeted at check-in
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

If she was smiling, I'll say "2". If she was acting as if you were interrupting her from something she needed to get back to, (i.e.. checking her text messages) than I give it a capital "1".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Forgot to mention that my room overlooks the freeway.  In mentioning that the lady said "Well, there is no problem sleeping since the traffic dies down a lot overnight--you'll hardly notice the noise!"  Maybe one is too high?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Zero.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

steppingstones -- your experience so far is completely unacceptable.  I'd be waiting for the GM tomorrow morning.  Is still no change, I'm moving out.  Just curious if you using points for this stay at CY downtown.  If so, you can stay at the Renaissance for the same points; 20k per night.  Or the Marriott Tech Center is 15k per night.

Husker all good questions--I have not even mentioned the problems with finding a dirty air condition unit in the hall across from my door. Then a knock on the door and engineering was there to change the unit (again). I told them NO thanks.  As for alternates yes this is a points stay -- Category 2 so six nights are 50,000 points -- and not worth that.   Every hotel is booked solid so I got in on Platinum override I guess. This is the closest to Castle Rock where mty ailing Mom is staying so it's all good.  I will speak with the GM manana.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Or the FFI Tech Center, which I've stayed at before and will again in July, can be had for $84/night at the senior rate the rest of this week.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

"Just pathetic"!

Agreed Jerry-I cannot even begin  to start listing the issues I have found--just skimmed the surface here

SS,

It really bothers me to have that kind of experience.  It seems to happen mostly on trips when you have such a "Noble cause", and there is really no excuse for   that kind of treatment.  Had two SHS situations that were similar, and I thought I was on "Mars"!  What drives me batty is when you have others with you that have to suffer in a situation that just should not happen to anyone, anywhere!

Hope you get situation resolved in the morning.  Good luck.

Too late to reverse it Jerry but I want to ensure no one else gets the same treatment. and oh yes, acknowledgement of my PP status or even Platinum never happened either, but that is the norm these days.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

ss,

I wish your review of this property could be shared with general managers (and others as necessary) of all Marriott properties.  Maybe properties who offer similar experiences will finally "get it" and train their imployees properly, while properties who do a better job will be encouraged to go the extra mile to provide the best experiences for their guests.

Not a bad idea--my intent is not to zing anyone but to make the point that every guest deserves honest treatment without excuses and delays.

The GM was at a meeting and I was preoccupied with my Mom so I recently wrote the email as promised. 

Just hit send a minute ago the GM called me here in the room.

She agreed that the treatment was not appropriate and apologized.  She made an offer of 10,000 MR points to be credited to my account, which I gladly accepted.  We spoke at length and hopefully this will change the stays that future guests have.

Communication works.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Wow!  I am glad she listened.  Did you speak in person or only on the phone?

Hope your Mom is doing okay.

On the phone with a promise to meet me during the stay for any other problems.  Mom is doing OK, very confused, seems distracted, forgets that I will be there, etc.  But she is 89, and I have to look after her for all she did for me.  Thanks for the concerns.

SS,

Congratulations,

It's not the points, but the do help.  I just hope she has an opportunity, or her superiors do, to see the outrage over this treatment.  It was not right, and we all have been there when we least expected or deserved that kind of treatment.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Really glad to hear a good outcome.

And apparently the lesson will be carried to the associates tomorrow at a hotel staff meeting.  Good for them, and no one was spammed in the process.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

It's the way you tell 'em that gets me!  That initial posting could form a humorous para in one of your books if it wasn't so serious.  I know that the GM responded promptly but what was she doing in taking her eye off the ball so badly!?!  I have just read your other posting re the article ... says it all really, eh?

It would be interesting to see how the hotel staff perform in about a month's time.

I hope that you are able to spend some quality time with your mum ... we too have been through those difficult times and valued the 'good' periods.  As you say, we have a great deal to repay to our parents.

Thanks for your concern and she is as good as we can expect.  I had to cut her meat at lunch but she still recognizes me, so that is a blessing.

On the check-in subject, I noticed as I left this AM that the person who checked me in was in the GMs office and she was reading from something, apparently my email, and that's a good thing.  I hope that I cast this in terms of let's make it better than how bad it was, and the GM seemed to take it as constructive criticism.

We'll see if it sticks since I am here through Sunday.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

You may mant to check for tacks under the covers tonight before jumping in. Just sayin.

More likely they will forget to tidy the room.  I did find a rubber band on the bed--the one that I planted there the day before as a housecleaning experiment.  I also got triple amenities, perhaps as a peace offering, I am not opening the wrapped package until the EOD folks can check it out, though.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I've done that as well, as I have suspected certain things, like the rug not being vacuumed, and my test proved I was right.  How is your mom doing now?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...