4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2012 4:32 PM by painedplatinum RSS

Better to recover points for cash?

sshoaf Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I will be traveling in Paris this summer with family and staying 3 nights.  There were 4 of us in the group and I had opted to get 2 rooms (occupancy 2) for 120,000 pts each room at the Marriott Trocadero.  Now one in our party cannot go on the trip and I'd prefer not to use points for 2 rooms and have one person stay alone.

When searching Paris for June, all that is available is a Junior suite (occupancy 3) for 120,000pts plus 180 euro per night, 540 euro total.

Looking for opinions to see if I should keep the two rooms and use the 120,000pts (x2) or go for the suite and pay ~$700 USD to get the 120,000 points back.

Thanks!

Scott

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Better to recover points for cash?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

sshoaf,

Welcome to Insiders.

What are your dates?  We (3 of us) are staying in a larger guest room at Ren La Defense for under 300€/night, saving our points for another time.  What about staying out at Marriott Vacation Club at Paris Disneyland in a 2 or 3 bedroom villa?  Right now, Golds and Plats have a 35-40% discount, so the price is something ridiculously low, like 160€/night, or you could use the points for the one villa, thus saving half of your points.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sshoaf Platinum 25 Reviews

Definitely want to stay in the city center so Vacation Club out of the question.  Would love the space of a villa since near the end of a long journey.  This is where the idea of the junior suite sounds interesting just for the experience and location.

Thanks for the info!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Maybe stick with what you've got then, or else pay the extra for the suite if your heart is set on central Paris (it IS nice to walk out the front door to find yourself in the center of it all, plus I kind of like sipping cafe au lait and staring at the Eiffel Tower through the trees at Place du Trocadero (though I've never stayed at that Marriott).  It's pretty late in the game (for this summer) to find a suite on points, especially in central Paris, so I'm surprised you found something even with the upgrade fee.  You know, I don't know why some of the Marriott hotels in Paris won't allow 3 people to stay in some of their standard rooms.  I mean, some of the rooms are admittedly small (like at the Rive Gauche), but I've stayed in a standard room at the Marriott C-E, with two queen beds and a beautifully large bathroom all of which was plenty large enough for 3 persons, tub, shower, bidet (what a waste of space!) and two chairs and occasional table, also a wall to wall window overlooking the atrium, which opens the room up.  Why they won't book to 3 people is beyond me.

Anyway, enjoy your trip!

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

SSh,

I look at these type of predicaments from two angles.  If you're cranking in the points and the 120,000 won't crimp your style, use the points. If the $700 is not a big deal and you want to use the points for something else in the near future...use the $$.

I'm not familiar with the hotel. Is it possible to ensure the two rooms are connecting?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...